Proof that Golf's have excellent residuals.

Soldato
To be honest it looks like a very foolish purchase. Mk1's are already classics but will collectors really pay big bucks in the future for a MK2. Yes it's probably a much better car but it's been done, it's yesterdays news.

Great condition obviously loved but worth the money?? I suppose only smarties have the answer.

Soldato
There is a dealer somewhere on the net that deals in pristine mk2s. Most of his stock is 3-4k which you can just about see, but this one is way off target.

Its hard to see the mk2 GTI ever being as coveted as the mk1 as they were made for so long and sold by the boatload. There are a lot in pristine nick too. Also mk1s rusted away and you still see loads of mk2 on the road, including mine :D 17 years young

Man of Honour
Matt82 said:
its a cult mate, it'll never make sense if youre not of that mind set, look at our overclocking hobby for a starter, look at your mondeo perversion too etc

But my Mondeo perversion would never lead me to spend way more than the car is worth - infact, I'm even shunning the best Mk2 ever - the ST200 - becuase I think £6k is too much for a Mk2 Mondeo.

Soldato
depends how OTT youre willing to go for your hobby etc i think youre of a similar mind set to me. i like my hobbies, my toys etc but i also value my money. i dont mind spending money in pursuit of my toys and hobbies, but i have to get value for my money.

looking at that golf, it is miles from value for money, but to some obsessed nut out there, its a holy grale

Soldato
Personally I wouldn't pay that much for a MkII Golf but there is something enjoyable about having a great example of an older car and to someone I'm sure the car os perfect (and worth the price!)

Associate
Its a VW thing

Mohinder said:
You mean the splits. Splits in good condition are worth tons these days.

Im part of the VW scene, so I get where this is coming from. Over priced, yes, but definatly a holy grail for any Golf fan.

Split screens (from barndoor 50's to late samba's in the 60's) are worth a lot of money now - something that is both a negative and positive part of the scene. 3 years back, we used to say it was £1000 a window, so the 23 window samba was a lot of money - but now its even more than this, crazy!

As for bay windows (my personal fravourite vehicle) they have shot up in price too in the last five years. People cant afford the splits and use the bays as a stepping stone, but the early bays from '68 - '71 (excluding the '72 crossover year) are gathering a huge following too. Its not just about campers either, commercials are equally as popular. Crew cabs and panel vans are especially sought after.

You could pay a high price for a fully restored motor that will probably drive better, have better quality paint and is more reliable. But I want orginality from my dub, so I look for a pristine untouched car. Every now and again one pops up thats been in a barn or garage for 20 years and has hardly seen the light of day. Last year at the Volksworld show, we had a '71 Bay Window Panel that had done 7000 miles since new - unbelievable.

Huge price for the car - yup, but brings a smile to my face :)

TripleT said:
I can understand someone paying that, obviously you will never understand that but that's why we're all different :)

There's a girl in work who drives a 36year old camper van, it always breaks and she spends a fortune on it. She takes a bleeding hot water bottle with her in the morning because the heating's so ****! Why does she do it? because she loves it, it's her baby

Awesome, lol - hope she gets the heating sorted out though :o :p

Last edited:
Associate
[TW]Fox said:
Only if you buy it and don't use it.

True, plus im not sure if the Golfs are going to reach such a high value - a car like that might as well be a show and shine car, dont drive it! The bus market is already peaking with prices, people are now looking a T25's as Bays are too expensive. But remember the bettle mania in the 80's, and then they became worthless (too right to be honest, hate VW bugs - but each to their own) and still are not worth much today (comparitavily).

Soldato
To me there seems something wierd and anal about owning a car and only covering 1500 miles per year whilst worrying about the slightest spec of dirt getting under a wheel arch.

Man of Honour
The car is a classic. It's in top condition, and is probably in top mechanical condition. However it's not enough of a classic, isn't iconic enough for me to even think or warrant spending that sort of money on it. Even if I had more money than sense I wouldn't. It's just not worth it. You can buy so much more and better cars with that sort of money.

Of course like most fans I can understand someone going nuts and buying it - if you're a collector and a general nut for that sort of stuff you'd be beside yourself with excitement.

In my eyes, it's just not a sensible or worthy purchase.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox said:
You'd have to be barking mad to buy that car - either get one that hasn't spent its entire life sat doing sod all for 3 times less cash in mint condition, or get a Mk4 1.8T for the same money.

Nothing about it makes it worth anything near the money they asking for - plenty of mint Mk2's around that have had real care taken over them that are in just as good condition for half the money.
Whilst I normally disagree with your views of classics and/or appreciating classics, I'm siding with you on this one.

You can get incredibly clean Mk2 GTi for £2000-£3000 and unless you are looking to get The Best Example Ever for preservation 7 grand is overkill. There are people out there paying 4-5 grand for 205 GTi's that are no cleaner than examples going for £1500.

Associate
rG-tom said:
probably more but that could just be inflation ;)
Not only has it got to beat inflation over 20 years to classify as an 'investment', its got to beat 7K in a high interest account + the rate of hiring out the storage space and the money earnt from that in a high interest account.

No one is going to make more money on that golf than you would by conventional investment imho.

Back
Top Bottom