Proxy Questions

Associate
Hi guys,

Some interesting proxy questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I live in Canada but want access to bbc iPlayer. I have setup a proxy at my parents home in the uk. If I apply this in Firefox/Ie etc, boom I get iPlayer access.

Id like to go one better. In my local network (in Canada), I'd like all machines and applications (not just a web browser) to use the uk proxy when hitting certain urls. Do I need to setup a local proxy todo this? Can anyone provide some hints or guidance?

Would really appreciate it!

Many thanks
TM

Soldato
If you are looking to proxy anything other than HTTP then you need a SOCKS proxy and finding apps that support SOCKS proxies is quite hard these days.

Sounds like you'd be better off with a UK VPN - Never used one so someone else will have to recommend one for you.

Associate
OP
Hey,

thanks for the reply. I only need to proxy http traffic.

Basically my main issue is my Samsung TV. I have the iPlayer app on it, but cannot manually set a proxy, therefore i need another way of doing it.

Any ideas?

TM

Soldato
Ah sorry, you said all machines and applications so I misunderstood.

You could probably setup a local proxy and include URL matching. If it matches the URL string then it could be passed to another upstream proxy and if it doesn't match then it goes direct.

I know the idea and theory behind it but never actually done it myself.

Associate
I do not think this is going to be overly do-able in a home situation but look up WCCP and Cisco. Basically it redirects traffic at firewall level to a proxy. Nothing needs setting on the machines/devices, they are totally unaware. I use it at work with a Cisco ASA firewall and Squid on a linux box. I don't know if there is a way of doing it with out expensive Cisco kit though!

Back
Top Bottom