PS3 Impressions and Opinions Thread **Now includes pricing information**

Man of Honour
NO rumble for the controller

vadernooooo3ss7xn.jpg

Associate
£410 thats no where near what i was thinking (£500+ for the more expensive version)
Im defently gonna buy one on launch day and then a Wii after christmas.
to be completly honest with you the only thing I wanted to come out of the pre E3 confrence of theres was the price and the excact date which is what we got.
Glad they stuck (and very suprised with) with the old duel shock design and also suprised about the motion sensor part.

Soldato
The SKU's of the PS3 are definately more realistic for the prices now that they have been annouced. I would have expected much higher prices if there was only 1 SKU with the given spec's pre-360 release.

The cheaper PS3 having no HDMI isn't really a big problem. I am sure that Sony will be happy to release and addon adapter for those who go the lesser route and want to upgrade later. The majority of High Def TV's in Japan only have Analog output and as such even the movie industries won't be releasing High Def media with the HDMI flag until several years from now.

As for the quite playback of the PS3, the DVD speed is 8x and the BluRay is 2x so I would say that it is quiet only for that reason.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
It looks awful IMO, I was never a fan of the PS2 looks and I think this looks even worse. I much prefer the looks of my 360!

Controller doesnt really bother me but its too similar to the DS2 pad really, nothing innovative lookswise so far then...

First impressions are "Whats new?"

So its got blu-ray and a 60Gb HDD and is quiet - blu-ray (and HD-DVD) are on shaky ground right now, the uptake rates are going to be determined by media prices and players too - I think HDDVD may win this but its too close to tell right now. Quietness is good, the 360 isnt exactly silent! I wonder if they are quiet when turned on for a while - having been on for a bit heat buildup might mean they spin more fans faster so increasing the noise.

HDMI is a good addition to woo bleeding-edge buyers to the top priced console but depending on the output formats available probably wont actually offer anything at all for a good few years.

Simoultaneous worldwide release was a PITA for 360 customers and going on the numbers it doesnt look like its going to be a success for Sony either. 2 million units across the whole world at launch for one of the most anticipated consoles of all time? Maybe the insane prices are to try and put off all but the most hard core buyers. IF the UK price of the console is £410 I wouldnt be suprised to see "mandatory" bundles with 2-3 games and an extra pad for ~£600 - its not going to be an overnight whitewash by a LONG way.

In all, disappointment really. No doubt it will sell due to the nature of the industry, Sony fanboys and trading on their (slipping) reputation will probably see them through this round with only minor damage. I wont be buying one though.

Associate
All I need to know now is where do I sign, yeah £410 is a lot of cash but my 360 was £280 with only a 20gb HDD, no HDMI, no bluray or HD-DVD for that matter.
O yeah and I heard the PS3 is like 4 times more powerful than the 360 ;) (the last bits a joke please dont flame me)

Only thing which will really be strange is no RUMBLE :mad: whats that all about.

Soldato
All in all it seems a bit underwhelming from what I've seen so far. The console itself dosnt look anything special physically, and they've done the same thing that MS got slated for - launching 2 different versions of the console.

Also the game screenies that I have (briefly) seen this morning dont look a huge step away from what the 360 is already giving us.

Still, I'm sure it will still be a massive success.

Permabanned
I know they had legal problems but they should have either made a deal to license the technology, or designed their own or something... a console pad without rumble is ridiculous and unacceptable frankly.

Soldato
I think the Jury is still well and truly out for me; with a lot of FMV still on show and no real detail on their online service, it's still rather lacking in concrete information.

Initial impression is one of apathy though really, but I'm not convinced about the tilty controller. I still have the PC one from years ago and it was a flippin pain to use while using the sticks/buttons at the same time.

I'm sure it will sell in bucketloads on the name alone; but considering how 'late' the console is compared to the 360, it's surprising that it seems to be playing mostly 'catchup' rather than having any clearly defined advancements.

Associate
Hmm, very underwhelmed really. Price point is about what was expected but with such drastic differences between the low end and high end console I think they are lining themselves up for a fall. More details and argument will definitely follow but I won't be pre-ordering, I think this detail has definitely secured my Wii order tho.

P.S. And what the smeg did they think with the styling, it looks terrible imo!!

Soldato
Nothing really impresses me about the PS3 so far. Maybe we'll see a bit more innovation in the next couple of days, but if all they have are sequels to games like GT and MGS then I think I'll give it a miss.

Soldato
IceBus said:
You're also getting a console that won't be able to match the 360 for AAA titles for 6-9 months minimum.

Which AAA titles are these?(for the 360 I mean)
The 360 is dissapointing,no games to look forward to,well maybe Dead Rising/Gears of War,I'd prefer to have the exclusive series the ps3 has

Back
Top Bottom