PS3 Impressions and Opinions Thread **Now includes pricing information**

Permabanned
What have Sony been doing all this time!! The controller is just the same and they have rounded a PS2 off a bit.

Long live the 360! At least they put some thought into it.

What were they thinking about not putting a HDMI port on as standard, I mean they are supposed to be pushing Bluray!! Joe public will buy a Bluray movie and play it on there Hidef telly through the scart socket and it will look no different.

Disappointing to say the least.

Goes back to playing Oblivion on my 360......

Man of Honour
Seems I was right about the pricing of the PS3, which I'm not that happy about, was hoping I'd be wrong and it'd be cheaper than it is. They'll really need to pull something special out of the bag to make people buy it at that price when there will already be a well established 360 in place which is cheaper and will have a large games library by then.

Associate
I think Davey's right, they've only just about managed to pull a 3rd generation console out 1 year after their main competitor. They will have the exclusive titles of course (Virtua Fighter 5) but when you go through the list its about the only exclusive thing left, a combination of a 360+Wii will give you everything the PS3 gives you an average of for about the same price point at the time of launch..

Again, very underwhelmed, after all the waiting this just seems rushed.

Permabanned
Kalsius said:
I think Davey's right, they've only just about managed to pull a 3rd generation console out 1 year after their main competitor. They will have the exclusive titles of course (Virtua Fighter 5) but when you go through the list its about the only exclusive thing left, a combination of a 360+Wii will give you everything the PS3 gives you an average of for about the same price point at the time of launch..

Again, very underwhelmed, after all the waiting this just seems rushed.

Spot on!

Virtua Fighter 5 looks no different to any 360 titles graphics.

Associate
"As it turns out, a little examining of Sony's announcement press release reveals the $499 model will lack support for Memory Sticks, SD and Compact Flash cards, no built-in Wi-Fi and will surprisingly have the HDMI output removed (necessary for achieving the much bragged about 1080p screen resolution)"

Soldato
So €599 is around £410 using current exchange rates, so allowing for the UK price-hike, we're probably looking at around £429-£449 for the decent version.

By November we'll probably see the Xbox 360 Premium at £229, and with plentiful stock and much more AAA games, it could be an interesting fight.

A £200 price difference, and a console that is actually available to all (rather than the 10,000 nutters who ordered 18 months in advance) could well help MS to a healthy lead going into 2007.

Permabanned
Reektan said:
"As it turns out, a little examining of Sony's announcement press release reveals the $499 model will lack support for Memory Sticks, SD and Compact Flash cards, no built-in Wi-Fi and will surprisingly have the HDMI output removed (necessary for achieving the much bragged about 1080p screen resolution)"

*shakes head in disbelief*

It annoys me that both MS and now Sony are releasing different versions of their consoles. There should be ONE! And one alone.

Associate
Raider said:
So €599 is around £410 using current exchange rates, so allowing for the UK price-hike, we're probably looking at around £429-£449 for the decent version.

By November we'll probably see the Xbox 360 Premium at £229, and with plentiful stock and much more AAA games, it could be an interesting fight.

A £200 price difference, and a console that is actually available to all (rather than the 10,000 nutters who ordered 18 months in advance) could well help MS to a healthy lead going into 2007.

This is bull****

1.00 USD United States Dollars = 0.788389 EUR

So why have they just exchanged the Dollar sign for a Euro?

I Guarantee it will be £499 -£599 in the UK

Soldato
So the controller is basically the same as the PS2 with no rumble? That sucks more than I could have imagined :(

£350 is also taking a **** just a bit, especially for the "cheaper" cut down version of the console, looks like I'll be getting a 360 and waiting until the PS3 comes down in price :rolleyes:

Soldato
£400?

I thought paying £330 for my Premium XBOX360 and one game was expensive!

The Festive period will be interesting.

XBOX 360 Premium will probably be around £230 by then and £300 will get you a decent game bundle I reckon.

With the PS3 your looking at £350 minimum and thats without any games!

Wonder what all those parents will do looking to buy their kids a new console?

Caporegime
Your all whining but I bet you still all buy one ;) This thread should be a sticky so we can see the whiners who buy on launch day :p

No doubt I will buy one, after 12 months of it being out and a back catalogue of games to play. I certainly wont be an early adopter at that price.

Rumble doesnt bother me either. In GRAW it got on my ****.

Caporegime
GuruJockStrap said:
£400?

The Festive period will be interesting.

XBOX 360 Premium will probably be around £230 by then and £300 will get you a decent game bundle I reckon.

With the PS3 your looking at £350 minimum and thats without any games!

Wonder what all those parents will do looking to buy their kids a new console?

Buy a PS3 off ebay for a £1000.

Permabanned
dannyjo22 said:
Your all whining but I bet you still all buy one ;)

Nope ;) Buy one when new, absolutely no way whatsoever. Buy one eventually, maybe if there are some very excellent games which aren't on the 360.

Rumble doesnt bother me either. In GRAW it got on my ****.

True, it is irritating in some games and needs to be turned off, but in others it's brilliant :) I can't believe they've done away with it entirely, is there some official statement about it?

Soldato
dirtydog said:
Nope ;) Buy one when new, absolutely no way whatsoever. Buy one eventually, maybe if there are some very excellent games which aren't on the 360.

True, it is irritating in some games and needs to be turned off, but in others it's brilliant :) I can't believe they've done away with it entirely, is there some official statement about it?

Yeah, I loved it in Gran Turismo, it certainly adds a dimention to some games... wait for the clip on 'Rumble Pack' :D

Soldato
Davey_Pitch said:
Seems I was right about the pricing of the PS3, which I'm not that happy about, was hoping I'd be wrong and it'd be cheaper than it is. They'll really need to pull something special out of the bag to make people buy it at that price when there will already be a well established 360 in place which is cheaper and will have a large games library by then.

Definitely, but i think Sony will market the PS3 as a generation over 360. The mass loyalty that Sony have for the Playstation could allow them to really pull the wool over the customers eyes. Although, this would surely be a bad choice as it could easily be highlighted in the press and media that really, xbox360 and Ps3 are infact performing at the same level.

Associate
They might have ditched the rumble because it was interfering with the nintendo motion tilt thingymajig. All I can say is that it better be A LOT better than the 360 if they're lookig for 400 odd quid for it.

Soldato
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05/09/sony_prices_up_ps3/

sony_ps3_3.jpg

sony_ps3_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom