PS3 Impressions and Opinions Thread **Now includes pricing information**

Soldato
bramski said:
They might have ditched the rumble because it was interfering with the nintendo motion tilt thingymajig. All I can say is that it better be A LOT better than the 360 if they're lookig for 400 odd quid for it.

Thats what I read, rumble interfered with the motion sensors.

Question is if thats true, would they have even considered using motion sensors if they were still allowed to use the rumble technology?

Soldato
bramski said:
They might have ditched the rumble because it was interfering with the nintendo motion tilt thingymajig. All I can say is that it better be A LOT better than the 360 if they're lookig for 400 odd quid for it.

It comes with Blu-ray,it's a pretty good price for all of it
You'll have to buy a HD-DVD add-on for the 360 for HD DVD playback,so if you were going to compare prices of the two I'd compare 360+HD-DVD player to the PS3

Mistake with having no HDMI port on the less-expensive models though

Soldato
Nismo said:
Thats what I read, rumble interfered with the motion sensors.

Question is if thats true, would they have even considered using motion sensors if they were still allowed to use the rumble technology?

Thats what i was wondering, did they take out the rumble and think 'crap gotta put something in' so done the tilt?
But the fact games like warhawk support it, makes me wonder how long its really been in the pipline.

i think i will preffer tilt to rumble anyway, as others have said it gets annoying, its terrible when u put your controller on the desk to watch a cut scene (like MGS has many many many of) and soil yerself cos of the racket :p
I like the triggers though, will still mean top sholder is shooting, and the buttom below is the secondary button, not the other way around like on the 360.

Only dissapointment for me really is the lack of hdmi, but thats just to sell cables

was expecting the price tbh, was hoping it wasnt going to be, but i wont mind, just hope they have some killer launch titles.

only 2 things remain now
1. Show off the online
2. When can i pre order!!!! lol

Soldato
So many people going over the top whining and making assumptions as usual...

The missing HDMI shouldn't matter as they'll offer alternative connections just like the 360 i.e. component. Yes it is expensive BUT if Blu ray takes off then no it isn't is it? I'd rather have a 'PS2 style' black PS3 all in one box, than a white 360 with another white HD DVD box by the side of it along with yet more cables to power and connect the thing. Of course, if HD DVD wins the war, then Sony are going to struggle.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
410 !!!!!!

It will be cheaper buying a 360 and a Wii at that price range :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Davey_Pitch said:
Seems I was right about the pricing of the PS3, which I'm not that happy about, was hoping I'd be wrong and it'd be cheaper than it is. They'll really need to pull something special out of the bag to make people buy it at that price when there will already be a well established 360 in place which is cheaper and will have a large games library by then.

Took the words right out of my mouth there mate, i cant see myself justifying paying such a high price.....even though i could easily afford a few of them but im not that stupid with my money yet:p. Imagine what ebay is going to be like:eek:. I thought the 360's were selling for stupid prices, id hate to see what the ps3 will be selling at.

Oh well im kinda hoping they bring that price down somewhat, a lot of people are going to be disappointed at paying such a high price for a console.

Mind you it doesnt look too bad though, i quite like the styling of it and the controllers look interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
ben_j_davis said:
I Guarantee it will be £499 -£599 in the UK

No chance, that is prohibitively expensive and only the most ardent fan boys will buy it at that price. Sony know that they have to keep it lower than that, which is why I'm sticking with my initial estimates of £350-£400 for the console (I'll go to £450 MAX for the premium version, but even that is stupidly expensive).

If Sony are smart (and recent console generations and the advertising have shown they are), they know they have to price it in some kind of affordable range, but with Christmas coming up just after release, if they keep the price high they'll maximise profits as little Johnny the Sony Fan Boy will demand his parents buy him the PS3 for Christmas. Expect a price drop by Easter next year (which is likely when I'll look at getting one myself).

Man of Honour
Having only just woken up, I'm just posting on what I've read here, and not looked into everything yet.

Sony are making a big mistake in my opinion regarding the wole 2 versions of the PS3. It's going to confuse people even MORE than the two versions of the 360 does. I mean, removing HDMI for those that can't afford it, or those that can't wait is rather silly. From what I've seen, you wont be able to upgrade that console to have HDMI (Unless somebody can point the correct direction with right details), that means you're stuck with component outputs and no magical 1080p that everybody got so excited abut.

I don't really mind not having rumble, as long as you've got decent sound set up loud, then I'm not bothered there. It seems the systems is overly expensive even for the basic version, and I think that may cause some people to go for the 360 due to the whole price differences.

Gonna post a bit more later when I've actually read up on it all.

Soldato
With the cheaper console not having HDMI, surely that will mean no HDCP which may mean future Blu-Ray titles may not even be playable in the PS3 due to the restrictions that are available to be put in place?

Soldato
i will be buying one purely to sell (moan at me all you want) then use the profit to fund another possibly. But nothing really grabs me about the ps3 atm, i'm happy playing my dreamcast and 360 :p

Associate
Actually the price for PS3 here should be £349-£380(not sure).

rom what I've seen, you wont be able to upgrade that console to have HDMI (Unless somebody can point the correct direction with right details), that means you're stuck with component outputs and no magical 1080p that everybody got so excited abut.
We dont know if its upgradeable(save for HD). We dont know a lot of things yet. You can still get 1080p output through component. Also most movies wont make use of HDMI yet. Which is why Ms are offering USB HDDVD solution.

Soldato
Some dimensions and weight stats:

PS3: 325mm x 98mm x 274mm / 5kg
Xbox: 320mm x 101mm x 260mm / 3.84kg
Xbox 360: 309mm x 83mm x 258mm /3.49kg

5KG!!! Surely the PS3 must have the power supply integrated into the console and not external like the 360 power brick?

Associate
GuruJockStrap said:

5KG!!! Surely the PS3 must have the power supply integrated into the console and not external like the 360 power brick?

Yeah looks it Huge however. Should look too too out of placeunder a tv lol

Soldato
GuruJockStrap said:

Well it looks like it has a kettle plug on the back, so i'm assuming it is integrated.

Soldato
GuruJockStrap said:

I predict a sharp fall in the amount of 'Xblock' jokes from now on :p

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm intrigued to see what games will be released because I'm not really interested in hardware, more what they do with it ;) But at that price, no chance of me pre-ordering one. Just not itnerested enough to do so.
I expected to go the X-Box 360/Wii route so looks like I will be. :)

Soldato
it'll be £400 for full spec version, it'll also be delayed in Uk till March due to shortages, and you won't be able to buy one without a bundle deal which includes a game + blue ray dvd film and extra controller for £500, meanwhile the premium xbox360 will be plentifull this xmas and be £249 with the core at £179 and a much larger range of games and a ever increasing 2nd games market at reduced prices

thats what i reckon

Soldato
Dom- said:
Which AAA titles are these?(for the 360 I mean)
The 360 is dissapointing,no games to look forward to,well maybe Dead Rising/Gears of War,I'd prefer to have the exclusive series the ps3 has

You dont know which titles will be revealed at E3 though.

Rain looks amazing too.

ive never been a Sony Fan, so not really bothered about the PS3 at all, i prefer PGR > GT games, i prefer Splinter Cell > MGS (shocking i know) i prefer DOA > Virtua Fighter, and GTA will show on Xbox at a later date, so the PS3 really doesnt offer me anything, especially for that price.

I think the most ironic thing was how many people abuse the original xbox for its size....yet the PS3 looks a lot bigger :p

/edit

i was also thinking about the controller, just say you used a thumb stick to turn left, but you instinctivly turned the controller left to - woulda that mean your left turn would be sharper then you wanted? (if you get what i mean)

Back
Top Bottom