PS3 Impressions and Opinions Thread **Now includes pricing information**

Soldato
XPE said:
Its ok for us to go OMG the ps3 is going to fail, because we have read up on it and can see that’s its an over priced rip off of the other 2 consoles.

But what a about the simple consumer, the one that’s has been buying the same fifa game but with updated rosters for year now, little Timmy who sees the ps3 adds and think omg I need to get that so I can get the big cheese on the play ground, and parents that just don’t know the difference (think the ones that buy 10 to 14 years olds GTA), these are the people sony is going to sell the ps3 to.

Because of this ignorance the ps3 will sell.

:mad:

But little Timmy will probably have his console purchased by his parents.

Imagine the situation.

Parents walk into Game. They see a 360 booth and a PS3 one.

The 360 might be running Gears of War and the PS3 one of those games features at the conference last night (or dare I say GT:HD. Why on earth this was shown last night I have no idea).

Graphically, the 360 would appear superior (imo). Parents look at the price tags for both consoles and finds it hard to justify a PS3 when the 360 looks better and comes with a cheaper price tag.

They'd be able to buy a 360 Premium with a decent games bundle for less than the basic PS3 model without any games.

I also reckon the 360 games might be cheaper come the PS3 launch as well. Maybe instead of a RRP of £50 it could fall to £40. If that doesn't happen, then I'd expect the launch titles to be sold as a budget range (£20-25).

At the same time, PS3 games will have a £50 price tag.

Associate
Psyk said:
Everyone's going on about them stealing nintendo's tilt sensor. Tilt sensors in controllers is nothing new and nintendo's controller is much more than just a tilt sensor anyway. Loads of PC game pads had tilt sensors so they aren't stealing anything from nintendo. And as for the lack of rumble I couldn't care less. The only time you even notice the controller rumbling is when it's annoying you.

I think the problem is that in this generation there have been a lot of innovative directions taken, Wii to name one big innovation and after all the hype..... I think people are a little dismayed that they really just packaged everything that everyone else has done, slapped Blu-Ray in and said "Hey this is our own generation". Thats the downfall.

Separate hardware differences is gonna be a real killer imo, at least with 360 you only had to buy bits to upgrade to premium, here there are DISTINCT hardware differences between the consoles which adds confusion to the market and may leave people disillusioned when it comes to purchasing.

I don't think Blu-Ray is gonna be a 360 killer either, i didn't spend a shed load of money on expensive AV equipment to plug in a cheap crappy player. I won't buy the 360 HD-DVD and I sure as heck wouldn't rely on the player in a PS3 for movies, I'd buy a separate. There's no doubt it will sell, it has to sell but I don't think its gonna make the huge crashing dent in the 3rd generation Sony expected it to.

Soldato
GuruJockStrap said:
But little Timmy will probably have his console purchased by his parents.

Imagine the situation.

Parents walk into Game. They see a 360 booth and a PS3 one.

Parents look at the price tags for both consoles and finds it hard to justify a PS3 when the 360 looks better and comes with a cheaper price tag.
Our Survey says wrong answer. What Timmy wants, Timmy gets. Thats what Sony are banking on.

I may buy a PS3 to resell at launch, if my brother resists my persuasive attempts to get him to buy a 360, he'll get one and Ill be able to play on one that way.

Seriously considering the Wii though :)

Soldato
I kind of thought that but hey, maybe it was just a marketing ploy ;)

And remember how rubbish the "PlayStation" brand name was when it was announced, and when you think about it, still is.

Man of Honour
Well, having watched the conference videos now from gamespot:

Please note these are just my first reaction opinions I'm writing while watching the conference, and a lot of it is based on the videos quality. I'm sure my views will change on some of these when I see proper full detail videos, not semi-shakycam footage.

GT HD
Unimpressive, didn't look as good as PGR3, though, it's only a tarted up version of GT4, so I'll give them that.

The Card game thing,
Looked like a good idea, but not brilliant graphically or animation wise.

Heavenly Sword
NowAr that looks more like it, great grahics and animation, but I want to see more proper gameplay.

The Getaway
I'd like to believe those graphics are in game, but I'm going to call fake for now, until I see IN GAME videos of somebody playing it.

Afrika
Animals look reasonably well detailed, and animation was spot on, but textures were pants.

That golf game
Looks nothing special, course detail pants

Monster Kingdom
Seemed to have a shot of some sort of in game thing, but looked rather dull graphically.

Eight Days
I'd love to say that's real, but again, I'm a bit dubious, looks like a pre-rendered visualisation of what they want to achieve to me.

Unknown - Naughty Dog game
That looks rather good, and is very believeable that that's ingame graphics, though all the shots looked like ingame movies, but still looks pretty.

Resistance
Looks very nice, and I guess It's realistically what we should be expecting from games at the moment regarding those graphics and the first person mechanics.

Assassins: Creed
Looks pre-rendered, would be great if it wasn't.

Gundam
Looks quite pretty, high detail in robot thingys, but low everywhere else from the short vid.

Codearms Assault
Not a clue on that one, looked like potentially either pre-rendered or ingame.

Ridge Racer 7
Not enough detail in the shot, so can't tell what's going on with that.

Brothers In Arms
Looks believable to me, though very short clip.

Tekken 6
Looks totally believable ingame that one.

Sonic
No idea on what it's gonna be like, but looks very pretty.

Virtua Tennis,
All in game, looks pretty

Virtua Fighter 5
Looks pretty

Stanglehold
Seen before, it's all ingame I think, though just looks like a max payne clone really.

Fatal Inertia
Looks reasonable if ingame, though nothing I'm going to get excited about.

Bladestorm
Couldn't see a thing

Armored Core 4
Shots looked ingame, but nothing special

EA Stuff

NBA 2k7
Now that's impressive, they're actually looking into the animation of characters in the sports games when being controlled, instead of just spinning on ice.

Animation when dunking and shooting was a little wierd, seemed to be jerking along when moving, but still looked great.

Tiger Woods
Now that is impressive, though I doubt it'll be that much detail when stuck in a high detail golf course.

MGS4
Looks very good, though it is just an ingame movie. and I want to see ingame, playable stuff.

Honestly, nothing in that list has really excited me.

Associate
I loved my PS1, and I still have my PS2 and I enjoy it even though it's starting to look very dated.

The PS3 looks imo stunning and futuristic, but the games didn't impress me. I expecteed a lot more - infact I'm going to reserve any judgment about games till I see ingame footage for myself at a demo console in a store when all this stuff comes out. I don't trust review sites or Sony and I don't want to be buying games for awesome FMV footage - I want quality ingame footage. I don't trust Sony's pre rendered crap.

I'm also not interested in the Blu Ray format at all.

The lower priced PS3 version console doesn't interest me at all for obvious reasons, so if I want true Next Gen PS3 I not only have to get a very expensive PS3 console, but a very good HD TV, and add to that the memory sticks which am sure wont be included with the console and the games themselves, which I hope are fairly priced and not above £50.

The O/S thing looks slick and nice, but I'm concerned about the payment scheme to buy extra levels and whatever - seems to me that developers could release half assed games and then charge bit more to download parts of it.

I also wonder how noisy the thing will be?

I'm not interested in the gimmick things that were shown like that cards thing, and I don't even thing the tilt function on PS3 is anything special - I think Ninty have focued a lot on thier own motion controller thing that it will be really impressive.

I would get a PS3 if it was £199 or £250, but anything above that I'm just not interested in for the reasons I stated earlier in regards to extra equipment - end up being over £1,000, and the fact that the X360 should be coming down in price later this year to encourage more sales.

I'm very interested to see what Nintendo have to say about their console later today/tonight.

Last edited:
Soldato
smcshaw said:
No rumble is the biggest thing I'm taking from this too. I can't quite get my head round it. Really? No rumble at all?

Becuase it wears the batteries down a lot quicker.. and probably the moter that provided rumble now provides the titlt sensor.. so wasnt room for both in the controllers casing.

Soldato
Alpha178 said:
Becuase it wears the batteries down a lot quicker.. and probably the moter that provided rumble now provides the titlt sensor.. so wasnt room for both in the controllers casing.

Ok, I made it sound more dramatic than I probably meant but imo it's the biggest suprise.

We'd pretty much guessed it was going to be expensive, we knew how bad it was going to look and we knew the developers hadn't had enough time with developement boxes to produce anything 'gobsmacking'. But we (I) didn't see this one coming.

I went from PS1 to XBox and missed the PS2 so someone help me out here but wasn't the addition of shock in the dual 'shock' controller pivitol in defining the PS2s success? And this in turn gave MS no say in leaving it out of the XBox's controller?

Man of Honour
I wouldn't say Dual Shock or any vibration is pivotal to the success of the console, but it does help sometimes in the way a game will feel or play. As I've said in an earlier post, I'd much rather have the game play and sound a lot better, giving better imersion and atmosphere, as a rumble can feel annoying and not integral to what's going on for some things I have found.

I am still suprised they have left the rumble out however, and would have thought you could still fit rumble and tilt sensors into the controller with a little bit of thought, but I guess Sony engineers couldn't do it, or Sony just can't do it because of that whole law suit with the people that patented the rumble system used by Sony.

Associate
I was holding out for the PS3 but as I expected it will be too expensive considering that I already spend a fair amount of cash on keeping my PC top-end. The high price of console game titles further make a PS3 less of a good deal as a second gaming machine.

I am not too bothered about blueray. If I wanted a HD player I will buy one when they become affordable and when movie titles become widely available. Dedicated equipment is usually better than the jack of all trades approach.

The 360 titles are too similar or the same as those released on the PC so it looks like I will be waiting to see what the mighty Wii comes up with.

Associate
JUMPURS said:
anyone think we will suddenly see an shortage of 360's?
this coming month is when we will find out if people think its too expensive or not

Im thinking the same. A lot of people sat on the fence waiting to see the price of the ps3 may have just fallen onto the 360 side of the fence :)

Permabanned
ben_j_davis said:
No because Sony have been incredibly arrogant in many sectors, they deserve to get a kick in the face from the consumers

I say again, why do you want Sony to fail when it would only benefit Microsoft and its shareholders? :) It sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Xbox360 owners will benefit from a successful PS3.

Associate
Am I right in thinking that the $499 has a BR drive but it can't even play BR movies because it has no HDMI , so if you want to watch BR movies you have no choice but to buy the $599 one? :eek: .

As for the games only heavnly sword made me go wow! , the rest didn't seem that much better than anything I've played so far on PC/360, I was really looking forward to the PS3 but one year wait and costing 100 quid more than the 360 it just doesn't seem worth it.

Back
Top Bottom