ps3 online first time.

Associate
Hi all, took my ps3 online today for the first time, mainly cos my mate had bought GT5 and we were gonna have a race session, loaded up only to find there is no way of hosting a game or inviting friends to play online :(?? are all ps3 games like this? I just assumed it would be much the same as 360 in regards to hosting and playing online with friends, as luck would have it we managed to meet in a race, be a lot better if you could invite though, cheers guys

Soldato
Hi all, took my ps3 online today for the first time, mainly cos my mate had bought GT5 and we were gonna have a race session, loaded up only to find there is no way of hosting a game or inviting friends to play online :(?? are all ps3 games like this? I just assumed it would be much the same as 360 in regards to hosting and playing online with friends, as luck would have it we managed to meet in a race, be a lot better if you could invite though, cheers guys

HOME, when it eventually gets here, will offer the ability for all your mates to congregate in HOME, and then launch the game from there..

AFAIK, cross game invites are not in the works? It would be good if they where??

Soldato
ahh, cool, do you mean for gt5, or all ps3 games, only other game i have is drakes fortune and thats not an online one.

Err.. Thats a good point, I don't know if it requires the game to support it, in which case it'll be limited to only new titles, or whether it will be able to support old games..

Associate
OP
Just searching for some info on HOME, looks like October time but apart from that i cant find much info?, so i guess will be a software add on that allows you to meet up and play games with mates? is is kinda like xfire? I dunno why but I just assumed the PS3 would be the same as the 360 out of the box for online games.

Caporegime
It's likely that the most popular games will recieve an update that allows invites in-game.

In Home, it's a lot like Second Life. You have an avatar and your own house. You can meet with friends and organise games. Your 'achievements' will appear as trophies in your home.

It has been delayed due to an overhaul. Sony has realised it's potential and has gone back to do things right.

Soldato
Just searching for some info on HOME, looks like October time but apart from that i cant find much info?, so i guess will be a software add on that allows you to meet up and play games with mates? is is kinda like xfire? I dunno why but I just assumed the PS3 would be the same as the 360 out of the box for online games.

I could be wrong, as I haven't been keeping up 100% with HOME, but the short answer is it doesn't offer the same interaction with your friends as Live, it's quite different,

Live offers cross game invites/chat on every game, HOME only works when you are all in HOME, the idea being you all congregate in the virutal 'space' and when you are all ready, you have the option to all be part of the same multiplayer game..

AFAIK, if you are already playing one game, you can't get invited to another game ala Live, and you aren't guaranteed to be able to talk to your friends if they are in different games..

All this may have changed, it's clearly one area that if Sony copied would make a huge difference to their online system, instead, it does appear they are offering something that is not aimed at online games, but social networking out of the game..

Caporegime
I could be wrong, as I haven't been keeping up 100% with HOME, but the short answer is it doesn't offer the same interaction with your friends as Live, it's quite different,

Live offers cross game invites/chat on every game, HOME only works when you are all in HOME, the idea being you all congregate in the virutal 'space' and when you are all ready, you have the option to all be part of the same multiplayer game..

AFAIK, if you are already playing one game, you can't get invited to another game ala Live, and you aren't guaranteed to be able to talk to your friends if they are in different games..

All this may have changed, it's clearly one area that if Sony copied would make a huge difference to their online system, instead, it does appear they are offering something that is not aimed at online games, but social networking out of the game..

Yeah that's pretty much right but Sony have said that in-game XMB and an invite system is coming soon.

Soldato
Some of this is based on strong rumours, some is based on fact, it all ties together pretty well so i'm not going to seperate it all out.

Ok, firstly, some games on the PS3 already have friends invites, user hosted servers, clans etc etc. Basically GT5:ps online mode is very much in its beta stages and is not an accurate representation of the PS3s online gaming. Warhawk and the Metal Gear Online beta were much better examples of what the PS3 can offer for online gaming at present.

Secondly, GT5:p is going to recieve several updates over the next year, among these are additions to the soundtrack, visible and performance affecting car damage and an improved online system allowing invites and private servers.

Thirdly, while the PSN lacks features that the 360 offers, sony have promised that a firmware update (not Home) will bring the online experience 'up to standard' when compared to the 360. This indicates ingame chat, invites and an ingame XMB are a likely addition sometime this year.

Finally, Home: Home has been delayed and delayed, it is now slated for release at the end of this year. It has been developed more as an online community than an attempt at copying the 360 online (the aforementioned firmware update aims to do that). Older games WILL recieve updates and support for it, Warhawk, Drakes Fortune and GTA4 all had a mention that they will feature some form of unique content for Home (from what i've read, Warhawk will feature some kind of 'war room' where players can plan their tactics and uncharted has some form of side scrolling shooter minigame, no word of what treatment GTA4 will recieve but rockstar have promised 'something')

I can't provide a source for all of this mainly because i can't be bothered. It's mostly pieced together from official news, but other bits may be based on rumours.

Associate
I don't think anyone answered you question :asking if all PS3 games are like GT5p (not being able to invite friends)
GT5p is one of the very few games that doesn't have in game invites but it is getting patched soon.
Every other game that has online, i can almost guarantee will have friend invites.

Hope that helped.

Soldato
car damage? really? first ive heard of it

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/864/864142p1.html

I don't think anyone answered you question :asking if all PS3 games are like GT5p (not being able to invite friends)
GT5p is one of the very few games that doesn't have in game invites but it is getting patched soon.
Every other game that has online, i can almost guarantee will have friend invites.

Hope that helped.

I did answer the question, but it was buried within a load of other garbage, cheers for putting a clear and concise reply :)

Permabanned

Home has been delayed so many times they might aswell scrap it.

The beta comes out October time this year then the real thing might end up coming out in 2009.

Back
Top Bottom