ps3 preorders - gamestation style

Permabanned
I did not think the price was released yet?
I suppose if pre orders are low Sony gets the heads up to drop the price, handy bit of market research for them.

Soldato
KennyBhoy said:
The price is subject to change though.....So it could drop or possibly rise :eek:

i know its highly unlikely a rise would occur but i didnt think they were alloud to accept a pre-order and then raise the price???
in that case if there was the people currently ordering would get there for the current price

(unless the price subject to change notification covers them)

Soldato
Chris1712 said:
Sounds about right to me, infact thats less i think it will be, i'm seeing £399/£499 price points for each model tbh.

No chance - £350 & £425 max I would say ( top model will never go for £500)

Man of Honour
Not exactly a rip off really when that's what It's been expected to cost roughly.

Nobody is forcing you to buy it, and it's not as if the pre-orders take your money from you. If the official price drops, then the pre-order price will also. Not sure what will happen if it would be higher than that, but doubt that will happen. I'll just cancel my pre-order with them maybe... though mine will be on ebay anyway :p

Soldato
FrankJH said:
No chance - £350 & £425 max I would say ( top model will never go for £500)

The premium bundle is confirmed as 599 Euros before tax. That's roughly £400 excluding 17.5% VAT and £470 including VAT.

Soldato
da_mic_1530 said:

IMO that is a reasonable price. Included in the price you get a blu-ray player, hdmi connection, free online play, and a console that will last at least 6 years in terms of great gameplay (that is, as long as it doesnt break).
I agree it is expensive for a console, but in the long run i think it may be a worthwhile investment, considering how long the PS2 has lasted.

Also compare this price to similar alternatives, ie Xbox360 and PC. A decent PC for gaming these days costs at least £800 and has to be upgraded around every 18 months.
An xbox 360 costs £280, maybe less in november, and you get a 20gb HDD, have to pay for online play, only plays DVDs and CDs. And then theres the optional HD-DVD player addon, for those wanting to play next-gen dvds.

I suppose it all boils down to what games you want to play, what games are exclusive to a particular platform, whether or not you need the extra PS3 features and how much you are willing to spend to play some games.
This post might sound slightly biased to some, as i seem to be 'defending' the PS3. To make things clear, i have a fantastic (expensive :o ) gaming PC and i am planning to buy an xbox 360 soon, followed by a P$3 whenever i have sufficient fundage :D

Associate
the PS2 was £300 if i rmember correctly (not much chance of that)

i think it was the saturn that was £400, worth it though :p was mum's money

Permabanned
I wonder what the price will jump up for PS3 on ebay during the xmas period as sony will only ship a handful.

£600-700 for a PS3 and if its double which the 360 was going for £800 :eek:

XPE

XPE

Soldato
bingham67 said:
Word is the cheaper version wont be sold in the uk i think just a rumour but thought id share info. :)

Dont see that happening, they are releasing the cut down verion in the EU so i dont see them missing out the UK.

There is no point in ordering one right now any way, we dont know what games are going to be there on launch day. :(

Soldato
Tunney said:
The premium bundle is confirmed as 599 Euros before tax. That's roughly £400 excluding 17.5% VAT and £470 including VAT.
the Euros price WILL include a rate of tax though so you are doubling VAT,

Easiest to guestimate from the US price as that WONT include any tax

PS2 was definitely £300 at launch - I remember that night avidly I only had £400 and I got a bundle

Maybe thats where the confusion lies with the bundles, as undoubtedly they were £400 at launch......... bare package though which always are rare anyway was definitely £300

Last edited:
Caporegime
theo said:
i think it was the saturn that was £400, worth it though :p was mum's money

No way it was. I remember buying the 32X for £150 and then the saturn coming out for a few quid more. About £199, I remember well magazines saying why buy a 32X when the saturn was not much more and I was left with a turkey.

I brought a saturn at launch which was a rival for the PS1 not Ps2 and no way did I spend more than £200.

Soldato
The Saturn was launched July 8th 1995 with an insane price of £399 which did not include a game. Games available on launch were Virtua Fighter, Clockwork Knight and International Victory Goal.

Back
Top Bottom