PS3 UI and the Sony Secret

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
The PS controller has it's analogue sticks in the wrong place though, why they opted to make the d-pad in the optimum place is ridiculous.

(my own opinion) I never had any issues with the controller, and struggle a little with the kack angled sticks on the XBOX 360 controller. I guess you get used to what you have...

Soldato
GuruJockStrap said:
But the PS3 doing well isn't good for the consumer what with Sony's current lead in the market.

I want the PS3 to take a bloody nose this generation and lose some its market share to MS and Nintendo.

This would then force all 3 consoles companies to come back with better consoles in an attempt to reverse/build on the fortunes of this generation in the next.

That in my eyes is good for the consumer.

yeah, didn't Peter Moore say if they cannot gain ground this time round with the cheaper console, same nextgen material as the ps3 and better Live service then doesn't know what MS could do next time round.

I too believe it'll be good for Sony to take a bloody nose, they been doing it to other companies and people for far to long and nobody wants a 1 console market - or prehaps the sony fans do? - everyone a sheep?

Soldato
Kainz said:
So to sum up their secret - er nothing new.

Pretty much, but i reckon that is the direction of Sony's marketing campaign for this console.

I would not be surprised if they market the PS3 as a generation ahead of the 360 on their packaging etc. Unfortunately a lot of customers will not realise the truth behind the system if it is of similar performance to the 360 and the general consumer will be duped into an expensive bit of kit.

Although we will have to sit and wait. If they do do that im sure Microsoft would have something to say about it pretty nippy.

Caporegime
SteveOBHave said:
(my own opinion) I never had any issues with the controller, and struggle a little with the kack angled sticks on the XBOX 360 controller. I guess you get used to what you have...

I have all the newer consoles, and ever since the original analogue controllers I have (and many others) that the stick was in the wrong place.

Soldato
SteveOBHave said:
From a marketing perspective, do you want to say - Well, just like the XBOX 360 we have this and this and this, or do you want to solely market your product? I would suggest the latter.

It is new stuff... to SONY.

Hold on I think everyone is being a little harsh - its new to this generation as a whole - its not like Sony's competitors have had a keyboard option before this generation either.

Why should they allow MS to advertise everythign first, and say ok that angle has been covered by our competitor so we can ignore it - get real!!!

Sony will combat everythign MS advertises and vice versa, thats how marketing works

Soldato
FrankJH said:
Hold on I think everyone is being a little harsh - its new to this generation as a whole - its not like Sony's competitors have had a keyboard option before this generation either.

Why should they allow MS to advertise everythign first, and say ok that angle has been covered by our competitor so we can ignore it - get real!!!

Sony will combat everythign MS advertises and vice versa, thats how marketing works

That is not being debated they will naturally counter-market, what we are debating is that it is "new stuff". If someone writes Da Vinci Code 12 months before, and then you do it.. it is not new stuff.

If xbox 360 has keyboard support 12 months before.. it is not new when the PS3 does it.

Soldato
Kreeeee said:
Care to back up that statement in any way at all?

Why? Are you unable to enter 'Gamepad' into Google image search?... Let me do it for you... :rolleyes:

Logitech
B0002XJBG4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Saitech
EC.SAI.P3000.JPG

Gravis
gravis_gamepad_pro.jpg

XFX
XFX-Executioner-gamepad.jpg

Maybe I should be asking you to disprove the statement...

Soldato
gord said:
That is not being debated they will naturally counter-market, what we are debating is that it is "new stuff". If someone writes Da Vinci Code 12 months before, and then you do it.. it is not new stuff.

If xbox 360 has keyboard support 12 months before.. it is not new when the PS3 does it.

Yeah - we're arguing semantics - keep up :p LOL

Gord, my question is, do you think that it is counter productive to SONYs marketing strategy to include these things in the PS3?

I entirely agree with you that the tech is not new to the industry, but I dissagree that it should be a black mark against the product that it is included. My perspective of SONYs marketing is that any statement (Clearly open to some varying interpretation) made along the lines of 'NEW' is to SONY just that - new.

Granted XBOX 360 is the first to introduce the tech to a console in this manner, but for me, just because PS3 is a 'little' :rolleyes: late to the party with their version of the 'multimedia' console doesn't make it any less cool.

Soldato
just on the whole keyboard option, the PS2 has supported standard keyboards (usb) no adapters or anything for years, so its not new to this generation. So keyboard/mouse options are a bit of a moot point
Although thats probably not the debate going on and i missed something as i skimmed through :p

Soldato
JUMPURS said:
just on the whole keyboard option, the PS2 has supported standard keyboards (usb) no adapters or anything for years, so its not new to this generation. So keyboard/mouse options are a bit of a moot point
Although thats probably not the debate going on and i missed something as i skimmed through :p

Mah m8, that was part of it, the main discussion is: What justification (if any) does SONY have for suggesting that the Interface and Tech on the PS3 is 'NEW' - it has become something of a discussion in semantics...

Soldato
Well i am lost as i can't find the new refferences in the OP although i haven't watched the videos, so maybe its in there.
As for the interface, well it isnt really new, for a start is the same as the PSP's interface, except it has user profiles.
and even then the 360's interface didnt bring that much along only user profiles, and even then that is so they can get u on live and paying (which is fair enough) but UI's in consoles have been around a while, so even reading the thread i am still a little :confused: lol

Soldato
JUMPURS said:
Well i am lost as i can't find the new refferences in the OP although i haven't watched the videos, so maybe its in there.
As for the interface, well it isnt really new, for a start is the same as the PSP's interface, except it has user profiles.
and even then the 360's interface didnt bring that much along only user profiles, and even then that is so they can get u on live and paying (which is fair enough) but UI's in consoles have been around a while, so even reading the thread i am still a little :confused: lol

Yeah - this is my argument also...

Back
Top Bottom