PS4 pro obscure GPU issue.

Associate
Hi all.
I've been both a pc and console gamer for years now and I wanted to ask a decent pc forum for advice as most console gamers just point to the obvious and haven't got as much experience when doing cooling maintenance on electronics.
I stopped and replaced my thermal paste 2 days ago on my PS4 pro. Done it many times over the years in pcs with CPUs and gpus. Also on nearly every console I've owned. I did my son's OG PS4 and my other sons PS4 pro at the same time. Theirs worked perfectly and are now running very quietly. Mine on the other hand has now started acting up. I used MX4 and didn't use too much. I've read applied it twice since.
The issue at first was when I was playing cod warzone one of my team mates was artifacting. It looked like he had a sheet of glass stuck through his body and he had a trail of white smoke wherever he went. After re applying it again. It's now got rid of that but it now doesn't render anything in detail. It's like playing it on the lowest of low settings and things like plane songs or some trees don't render in the distance. I cleaned the HDD contacts up and then initialised the PS4 and reinstalled the games again to see if it was HDD corrupted. It's still the same.
I've got some thermal grizzly paste coming today with new thermal pads for the ram chips to give it a try. It is running hot but the fan isn't going mad and is fairly quiet. It ramps up and down periodically so it's controlling it.
Sorry for the long post but information is key here. Also I'm an electrical engineer so I was very careful when doing this although it does look like I've done something to it. All I did was lightly brush the motherboard free of dust using a soft new paint brush and then blow out the heatsink with compressed air. Then blow out the fan with compressed air also.
Any help would be most appreciated. If I find no solution then I might have to try adding a potentiometer to the fan controller so I can manually control it and see if I can turn it up to max to see if that helps control the issue.

Also I've tried BF4 and it isn't as bad on there but there are graphical issues as well with rendering grass just before anyone suggests it could be the game.

Back
Top Bottom