PSA: Here's why you don't buy cheap USB Type-C adapters or cables

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I should probably note that this is in reference to conversion cables and adapters, not straight USB-C to USB-C, for example.

ssdKCnRl.jpg

I got three of those adapters for just under £4 on Amazon. The user reviews seemed good, and up until now they've been working fine. This one in particular was used at work on my PC, and recently someone borrowed it without asking and this is how it was returned on my desk :rolleyes:

I already knew about Type-C gate, whereby some cables were not properly certified, or had pulldown resisters, I mostly attributed this to usage with wall chargers and didn't really think much of it considering these adapters were going to be used for data transfer only.

I noticed that they were no longer available on Amazon, and Amazon have refunded me for the order. I also have 3x Aukey versions of the same type of adapter, but I know Aukey stuff is compliant, so have no fears there.

Just a heads up!

Man of Honour
A lot of 3rd party USB C stuff seems to have been pulled recently even stuff supposedly compliant dunno why. I recently got a tablet with USB C and was looking at accessories, etc. and loads of stuff has completely vanished not that many weeks later.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
From now on I'll only bother with three brands that I know are fully certified and reliable. Aukey, Anker and Amazon Basics.

Caporegime
From now on I'll only bother with three brands that I know are fully certified and reliable. Aukey, Anker and Amazon Basics.

I only ever buy Anker or Aukey accessories now after an incident with a work colleagues cheap charger.

I've got some Aukey usb-c adapter and they're good.

p.s. I use the tags to search.

Soldato
Same. Amazon and eBay are flooded with cheap imports these days. Aukey products have been very reliable for me thus far for USB-C.

A lot of them get flogged around in those cheap phone case stalls you see around shopping malls and newsagent's.

Associate
I should probably note that this is in reference to conversion cables and adapters, not straight USB-C to USB-C, for example.

ssdKCnRl.jpg

I got three of those adapters for just under £4 on Amazon. The user reviews seemed good, and up until now they've been working fine. This one in particular was used at work on my PC, and recently someone borrowed it without asking and this is how it was returned on my desk :rolleyes:

I already knew about Type-C gate, whereby some cables were not properly certified, or had pulldown resisters, I mostly attributed this to usage with wall chargers and didn't really think much of it considering these adapters were going to be used for data transfer only.

I noticed that they were no longer available on Amazon, and Amazon have refunded me for the order. I also have 3x Aukey versions of the same type of adapter, but I know Aukey stuff is compliant, so have no fears there.

Just a heads up!

Slash his car tyres!!. (jk)
Seriously though when people take your stuff without asking... infuriating. I had a neighbor that used to do this.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
It's the reason I always prepare myself when going back to work after a day or two out of office, or after being on holiday for a bit. No doubt someone has used something, and returned it in unreasonable condition.

Man of Honour
and returned it in unreasonable condition.

More often than not for me they don't even bother to return it and the reason they borrowed it is because they've lazily misplaced their own item. Usually keep my stuff under lock and key as much as possible.

Associate
I buy branded ones and only from Amazon as the seller themselves, too many fakes out there claiming they are Belkin etc to trust any third party sellers or ebay.

Back
Top Bottom