Psoriasis

Soldato
Just making a point that even though E45 is advertised as being useful for Eczema or other skin conditions it's actually pretty horrible for sensitive skin as it contains Lanolin (a waxy substance originally sourced from Woolly animals), and while this is an effective moisture barrier it can cause allergic reactions or just generally cause skin to become hotter and more itchy.

Avoid E45.

I found this out the hard way :(

My parents in law still swear by it for all ailments.

I had it in my knees but managed to get rid of it. I had to spend 2 months putting a cream on and wrapping cling film around my knees each night for 8 weeks but it did work and it's gone.

I have it in my eyelids behind my ear and in my groin which is the most annoying place as heat/moisture = itch. I've been to 4 different dematologists for confirmation as it was originally diagnosed as male thrush :rolleyes: by a stupid GP.

I'm going to have a good read through all of these. I eat loads of hummous but it doesn't seem to help. Perhaps Zinc tablets would be better ?

I eat a varied diet quite healthy as well lots of fruit and veg although I'm high on dairy as well yet not really convined about the dairy side of it.

Soldato
I've suffered with Psoriasis for most of my life.
The ONLY treatment that works for me and stops it from coming back is this stuff...

http://www.springherb.co.uk/Indigo_Naturalis_Products.html?gclid=CPby4qqXpp0CFaBb4wod60JJ3Q

... which contains Indigo Naturalis, a naturally occuring, plant-based, blue powder.

It's being getting a lot of press of late, so I thought I'd be a guinea pig and give it a go. I'm not much of a fan of chinese, mumbo-jumbo, tree-hugging-hippy type stuff, but I'm so glad I gave it a shot.

I am always willing to try new stuff, especially if it is natural, so I will give this a go.

As I mentioned earlier on in this thread, my psoriasis has started coming back after my UVB and is quite bad on the scalp, so I may get some Cocois. I am assuming you have to get this from the GP/Dermatologist?

Associate
I saw a documentary on BBC last week about a fish that helped many such cases. Moreover, the documentary was based in Scotland and a woman had imported the aforementioned fish. It showed people diving in the big tube filled with those fish who ate psoriasis away.

Soldato
Welcome to the forum gunny :)

Regarding the fish comments...I don't know the treatment myself but how can it be any better than a cream? Surely all the fish can do is eat the extra skin cells, they are still replicating at a daft rate, they aren't eating the psoriasis, just the effects of it aren't they?

Last edited:
Soldato
my brother had it a couple of years ago, really bad....he was prescribed certain creams which didnt do much at first, but he then got a special steroid cream which really did work...touch wood still ok to this day and hasnt returned

Soldato
The ONLY treatment that works for me and stops it from coming back is this stuff...

http://www.springherb.co.uk/Indigo_Naturalis_Products.html?gclid=CPby4qqXpp0CFaBb4wod60JJ3Q

... which contains Indigo Naturalis, a naturally occuring, plant-based, blue powder.

It's being getting a lot of press of late, so I thought I'd be a guinea pig and give it a go. I'm not much of a fan of chinese, mumbo-jumbo, tree-hugging-hippy type stuff, but I'm so glad I gave it a shot.

Anyone else tried this stuff?

My other half`s dad suffers from psoriasis pretty badly, might be good to get some of this for him.

Soldato
I've had Psoriasis from when I can remember. On my arms and legs quite bad in placed too. I just use betnovate cream but i'll have to use it the rest oif my life - if I stop it comes back and spreads further...

Associate
I suffer from it.,have done since I was around 2 or 3, I'm now just turned 30. I have it on tops of my legs, back of knee and elbow joints, back of neck and all in my scalp. Worst is it on my hands. When I have bad flare ups looks like i've burnt my hands. I've now got no pigment in my fingers and half the back of my palms, so when i get tanned I end up looking like I've dipped the end half of my hands in white paint also when it's bad it gets into the fingers and under the nails, they go septic and nails end up falling off something like they did in the film The Fly.

I don't think at 2 or 3 i could have been that stressed. I've got it now under control through diet. I don't eat anything with artificial colourings in at all, that even goes as far as fish fingers and other breadcrumb covered foods. No carbonated drinks (beer doesn't count). No juice made from concentrate, Origina beeing about the worst culprit in that, generally no processed foods.

Some shower gels set it off. Some deoderants trigger it. Looks like chemical burns sometimes when the damn companies change an incredient and don't advertise it properly. I now stick to pretty much same shower gel and deoderant i've used for years.

I eat masses of vegetables and fruit, also one centrum multi- vitamin a day, two when the weater draws in so i can get enough vitamin D and zinc. When I feel a part getting itchy, then I start taking zinc suppliments aswell for a few weeks and try to figure out whats changed.

It's different for most sufferers and hope that you find a way of managing it. I tried creams and pills for years, they worked but then slowly the effects returned, only way I managed was the more vitamins I'm taking in, the better it seems. Vitamin D and Zinc seem to be the ones for me to load up on, I think i'm on about 5x RDA for both of them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a bit of Psoriasis - On the eyebrows, behind the ears and part on scalp

I've tried all the Shampoo's on this earth and it always comes back... Now I just use Baby Shampoo which stops it from flaring up - But it's still there.

Last thing Doctor gave me was Betnovate Cream.

Soldato
Bit of a thread revival.

Just rereading everything, I've just started taking a multivitamin - the "Wellman" vitamins. They seem to have most things in them and the tablets are easy to swallow which is good for me. :)

Can anyone just comment if they have noticed that extra vitamins, vitamin D and/or Zinc has made a noticeable difference please.

Forking out for the vitamins is a big expense, and whilst I am going to give them a good few months to work I would be interested to know if people have had success with them.

Many thanks!

Soldato
I've had psoriasis for about 25 years now, since as long as I can remember - I used to have 70% coverage and now I'm down to about 30 or so but to be fair I've just learned to live with it, I don't treat it and I'm not so fussed about it.

Might go on holiday to Turkey thou!

Soldato
Bit of a thread revival.

Just rereading everything, I've just started taking a multivitamin - the "Wellman" vitamins. They seem to have most things in them and the tablets are easy to swallow which is good for me. :)

Can anyone just comment if they have noticed that extra vitamins, vitamin D and/or Zinc has made a noticeable difference please.

Forking out for the vitamins is a big expense, and whilst I am going to give them a good few months to work I would be interested to know if people have had success with them.

Many thanks!

Vitamins made no difference for me :( sunlight might help the body produce vitamin D and sunlight helps my psoriasis but vitamin D didn't do anything by itself.

Man of Honour
Vitamins if they are going to help should produce a result fairly quickly... within a couple of weeks you should see some improvement atleast if its going to do anything. Zinc might take longer.

Stress can deffinatly play havoc with the skin - I don't suffer from anything like psoriasis - but if I don't manage my stress levels (you often bottle it away without realising) I get outbreaks of clusters of tiny blisters under the skin on the sides of my fingers and between the toes. So finding someway to reduce/destress could deffinatly go a long way to helping.

EDIT: Glancing through the wiki I wonder if the chinese teas as used to treat eczema could be useful...

Last edited:
Soldato
Two things that will possibly give you a 90% improvent.

1.) Avoid Dairy as though it is a poison (and I mean everything) - Milk in tea, Cheese, Yougurt. Cream (in sauces even) - Lactose and dairy stuff cause no end of skin related problems.
2.) Try taking a one a day Cod Liver Oil / Evening Primrose oil blend capsule 3 times a day instead of just once (as they don't usually contain too much of the good stuff anyway). Seven Seas do one and it is fantastic although it is about £10 for 90 capsules.

Most other Vitamins and Minerals available in most high street shops will be a waste of money as they don't contain anywhere near enough of what you need (and a healthy balanced diet will be a lot better for you) - and with some, you may even find that a particular chemical in a supliment agravates your condition more.

And just on a side note - a relation of my wife developed Skin cancer on the side of his face due to sun lamp treatment on the NHS during the 70's for his condition. It was found early and he survived and now obviously no longer gets the treatment for the psoriasis.

Last edited:
Permabanned

Can i ask which one you use? Tablets or cream? And is it apply once and its gone or comes back in 6 months?

Back
Top Bottom