PSP Go out Friday! Anyone getting one?

Associate
OP
For me the only niggle is the UMD conversion, I have about 20 UMD agmes/movies so this is a real pain. Nicely botched launch imo.

Shame, as I love the look of the new look unit.

Soldato
Did consider it, £200 with GT PSP, the new socom game and 2 others doesnt seem to bad a deal if you have never owned a PSP. If you already have one then i guess the appeal is quite limited until they get the UMD thing sorted. There is more than just a case change involved with this though dont forget, it is actually portable this time lol, has built in bluetooth, and has the very useful sleep mode. Still not enough to persuade me, ill probably wait till next year time when its had a price drop.

Soldato
Don't forget the memory cards too, now uses the M2 smaller memory cards, which sony has even dropped from its phones but decided to put in its new PSP.

Any PSP can use m2 cards with the DUO adaptor. You don't gain anything from taking away the UMD drive other than the option to use it and a couple of MM of space/thickness.

Associate
What? The lack of a UMD drive doesn't help? What about the other features? Like the now proprietary usb interface, no more using your own usb cables. Don't forget the memory cards too, now uses the M2 smaller memory cards, which sony has even dropped from its phones but decided to put in its new PSP. I think the best feature though is the smaller screen, much better for your games and movies.

But in answer to the OP: nope.

Loving your sarcasm haha :)

Cant understand why anyone would want a psp go over the original.

Soldato
lol nice advertising .....

On topic. I wont be getting a psp. I have no need to upgrade from my PHAT psp. It plays the games I want thats all that I care about.

When that breaks down. I'l buy a cheap PHAT psp off the internet again. Why would I pay nearly the price of a ps3 slim for a psp ?!?

Soldato
If the psp go had a way of playing my old umds then i would make a purchase .But my psp phat is custom and my psp 2000 umd drive is starting to pack up wont load my new games so i might aswell get another psp 2000 or get a 3000.

Associate
Saw the PSPGo! and I just thought nope I'll get a PSP3000 instead at xmas. Just doesnt seem appealing to me when compared to the PSP3000. Just need to work out how I can play my PS3 and PSP at same time and give my wife and baby attention haha.

Soldato
It's quite funny how much of a fiasco this has turned into for Sony, unilateral damnation from retailers, publications and the public.

I guess on the surface it looks like a good buy for the casual public, but anyone who really looks into it or cares at all about what they're buying will probably still plump for a slim/3000, unless you really want a small PSP, personally it looks like a niche product to me.

At this moment Sony have cut out a lot of user groups, impulse buys are out because of the price, current PSP owners are alienated and modders don't have CFW for it yet, that's a lot of people to cut out of your potential market. The main thing I don't get is that Sony have sold 50 million PSPs did they not ask a single one of them what they thought of their ideas before birthing this abortion?

Who in their right mind as a PSP owner would say they liked the idea of all their UMD games becoming obsolete, having to buy them again and having no second hand market?

Who said "yes getting rid of the mini usb connection is a good idea", maybe I'm wrong though, because it seems they may be targeting a new audience: those with more money than sense. Because you'd have to be out of your mind to pay for this thing.

Soldato
I was seriously considering it.

Then I heard the price. I didn't pay much more over that for my PS3 Slim, and my fat PSP isn't going to trade in for much as it's got no box and an unofficial charger.

Then they ruined GT. We get the equivalent of a Prologue version, with no career mode. Seems PD were utilizing those 5 years productively then.

Then we get told there will be no way to trade in UMDs for digital versions. I don't have many games, but I don't fancy paying more just to play them on the Go, as no doubt they'll sell/trade for a fraction of what PSN charges.

It'll now take a price drop of epic proportions and a u-turn on the UMD to digital conversion to make me part with my cash. Otherwise i'll most likely trade up for a PSP3000 and enjoy the games I already own.

Soldato
until they get the UMD thing sorted.

They won't, what they've said they won't go back on.

Then they ruined GT. We get the equivalent of a Prologue version, with no career mode. Seems PD were utilizing those 5 years productively then.

Agreed, if GT had been good then maybe it would have been worth it. Given the chance of playing GT2 or GT:p on a PSP, I would certainly pick the former. Sony have lost it :( I'm quite angry because GT:p sounded so good, but no, they had to ruin it.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you already have a PSP with the SatNav upgrade and the Go Cam then you may as well bin them if you want to downgrade to the PSP Go as they both use the mini usb. I think gaming stores should refuse to sell them as once they sell the Go the store can't make anymore money from each unit.

Last edited:
Soldato
They won't, what they've said they won't go back on.

Agreed, if GT had been good then maybe it would have been worth it. Given the chance of playing GT2 or GT:p on a PSP, I would certainly pick the former. Sony have lost it :( I'm quite angry because GT:p sounded so good, but no, they had to ruin it.

They said at present there is no solution not that there will never be a solution. Most of the reviews for Gt PSP have been around the 7.5-8.5 mark which means the game is good. Seems like some of the reviews treated it as a normal GT game rather than a portable game, cant compare TBH bit like comparing GTA4 to China wars (as some sites tried to do).

Soldato
Who in their right mind as a PSP owner would say they liked the idea of all their UMD games becoming obsolete, having to buy them again and having no second hand market?

Me:eek::D For what I use my PSP for it'd be ideal if it was cheaper. If they'd put it up for around the £120 mark I would have snapped one up. Don't have that many UMDs, can't find that many games worth buying tbh, but most of what I do have are bought from the PSN anyway.

Back
Top Bottom