PSP Go out Friday! Anyone getting one?

Caporegime
It's not all bad, people. Running from the memory stick does mean that games like GTA will be much better than they are from UMD's although I do appreciate that this isn't something that's specific to the PSPGo! because you can download the GTA games from the Sony store or whatever it's called. But what people need to bear in mind is this isn't supposed to compete with the current PSP, Sony have said they are going to advertise and still develop for the current 3000 as well.

This PSP is aimed at a certain market, and current PSP owners with tens of games and UMD movies are not in the market, so if that last sentence sums you up then please don't say that it's not worth the money for what it is, because to you, it isn't. It's aimed at people who don't already own a PSP and all Sony are doing is giving people a choice of UMD vs Download only. While this can already be offered on the current PSP's there are other enhancements, the control is laid out a bit more similarly to the PS controllers so it'll be a bit more comfy to hold I imagine. Bluetooth has been added and the screen has been yet again improved and if you hold a 3000 and a 1000 next to each other you'll see that this isn't just a gimmick, the screens really have improved. The exclusion of the UMD drive will probably give it a better battery life and it's much lighter and smaller too, granted the screen is a bit smaller but it's still a nice looking and very capable handheld and I think that it will sell more than people here are anticipating.

This isn't to say that it doesn't have it's downsides, it's still too expensive for what it is, it doesn't reward current PSP owners and it's hardware isn't that much different to the 3000, but like I said above, it isn't aimed at owners of the current PSP with a large library, it's more aimed at new handheld gamers, it certainly looks nice and I'd say that if you don't own a PSP already then the price hike is justifiable. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Went into Game in Metrocentre, Gateshead, I spoke to the guys in there at about 3.30pm, I was the first person who had even enquired about the PSPgo, they had planty of stock and no pre-orders to fulfill. No posters on display or point of sale items showing the PSPgo at all, probably the worst launch of a new console ever!

Soldato
Hah, went in to Game in Eldon Square and the guy behind the counter didn't have a clue that it was launched today. A half**** homemade sign was the only thing in the shop with the Go on it, quite pathetic really.

So guessing no one was in there trying to get one either.

Caporegime
High street shops hate it. It means no sales of games for them. Maybe they will sell a few accessories and PSN vouchers, but no physical games, where the real money is (for retailers).

rp2000

Associate
our first sale was a psp go, customer asked if we could open one up to have a look ,and my god they look fantastic .

we also sell ipod's which also has no follow on sales,but no one seems to complain .

i want one now !!!!!

Associate
OP
After some more playing tonight, I am really pleased with it. The online prices aren't bad at all tbh (for the games), I think Sony have appreciated they don't need to be more than retail - GT is £22 for example. I think the more it catches on the better prices we'll see - a la Steam et al.

Soldato
This PSP is aimed at a certain market, and current PSP owners with tens of games and UMD movies are not in the market, so if that last sentence sums you up then please don't say that it's not worth the money for what it is, because to you, it isn't. It's aimed at people who don't already own a PSP
I can say it's not worth it no matter what my current situation is, if I have a cupboard full of potatoes doesn't mean that I can't say that potatoes aren't worth a million pounds each...

It's not even a good deal for people who don't already have a PSP.

If people want to buy one then that's fine, but it's personal choice rather than acumen.

Associate
I can say it's not worth it no matter what my current situation is, if I have a cupboard full of potatoes doesn't mean that I can't say that potatoes aren't worth a million pounds each...

It's not even a good deal for people who don't already have a PSP.

If people want to buy one then that's fine, but it's personal choice rather than acumen.

This!

If you've not got a psp why would you spend a silly amount on something you could have a similar version of for cheaper. What does it do that a 3000 cant apart from slide

Soldato
in conclusion, unless your are gettting the pspGo for a present the general opinion is "no i would not get one blah blah blah"

Not at all, imo. It has it's place, and is the better choice for some. As I said earlier if the price was lower I'd have one. Sony are still selling the 3000, with no intention of getting rid of it.

Don't see why people are making such a fuss.

Associate
OP
It's one of the slickest "toys" out there. It makes the DS look like it was designed in 80's! I'll take some pics tonight alongside the PSP1000 and DSi. I really like the new store integration too, although that obviously works fine on the normal PSP too.

Soldato
Decided to boot up my PS3 last night and check out the new PSN store. Looked at the PSP mini's section and noticed some of the games I own on my Iphone:confused: Is this the best they can offer for people who want to download new games for their PSP??

Associate
OP
Decided to boot up my PS3 last night and check out the new PSN store. Looked at the PSP mini's section and noticed some of the games I own on my Iphone:confused: Is this the best they can offer for people who want to download new games for their PSP??
Well there are loads of actual PSP games in the PSP games section. The minis are just smaller cheaper games, Tetris for £4 isn't that bad for example. They're the cost of mobile phone games, but higher quality.

Look at the PSP games section though and you'll see there are loads of games added from 1st Oct.

Back
Top Bottom