1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Advice......

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DV8, 1 Mar 2006.

1. DV8

Associate

Greetz All.....

Im thinking of up-grading my rig.
    Currently it stands at:

AMD 64 3200 Winni
    Asus A8V Deluxe bios rev 1017
    1gig Twinmoss BH5
    ATI x8ooXT-pte (or something like that!)
    X-Fi Music
    160gig Seagate sata
    80gig Samsung Sata backup
    Dual Layer DVD Burner
    DVD rom
    Floppy
    Tagen 480w silent PSU.

The upgrades im thinking of doing are:
    AMD Opty 165
    DFI NF4 Expert
    Saphire ATI X1900XT Extreme

Im not sure if the Tagen PSU will be up to running the extra stuff...?
    Will need to upgrade that too or has it got the dogs dangly bits!!??

Cheers

2. ACESHIGH

Mobster

That would be a very good upgrade.

Personally i think the Tagen 480w silent PSU will be fine running the extra gear.

3. BigDom

Wise Guy

Yep the Tagan will handle it just fine :) - I'm running my rig on a 430W version without any problem.

4. semi-pro waster

Man of Honour

The Tagan will cope fine power wise, is it ATX 2.0 compliant? If it is excellent, you can stop reading :)

If it isn't then you will probably need a 20-24pin adapter for the motherboard(DFI don't recommend this but that is probably just covering their own back) and OcUK don't sell them at the minute(your local electrical retailer should however) and you may also need a 4-6pin adapter for the graphics card, one will probably come with the graphics card itself.

5. Dutch Guy

Capodecina

A 480W 'quality' PSU is enough for any single GPU system, the highest use I have seen of a single system was ~400W and that was a top spec system with dual GPU's

What is more important than watts is the amps on the 12V rail but I think a Tagan 480W has enough amps (>25A) on the 12V rail(s)

6. DV8

Associate

Hmmm... ATX 2.0, not sure about that.... It came with an adapter but I seem t remember its for BTX?
    Its already got a dedicated 4 pin power point, I use it for the x800, it aslo has 2 sata power connectors.. I'll look into the ATX 2.0 thing though.....

7. Dutch Guy

Capodecina

Doesn't really matter, my Enermax is a ATX v1.3 one with a 20-pin ATX power cable and that works fine, you only might need some convertors

8. DV8

Associate

What is BTX, is it something i've dreamed up?!?!!
    I've just had a look at ATX 2.0 and the converters look identical to the BTX one I have?:confused:

9. semi-pro waster

Man of Honour

BTX is a newer motherboard standard than ATX which has been around for 10 years in various forms(maybe more). It is designed to be more efficient and help airflow, from the boards I've seen though this generally means putting ports in the most awkward locations possible.

10. iraiguana

Mobster

BTX is the mobo format that intel tried pushing for but noone bought it as would require big changes to all cases etc and amd were not suggesting u had to do this so people just didnt buy it and intel shut up about it.