PSU cable making help

Associate
OK guys

I am in the middle of a BitFenix Prodigy build, and I just bought a new PSU as my other one was massive. Downside now being cable length, and arrangement of connectors, so I have decided to make my own cables.

Now obviously I cannot link anything but I am using a US based modding company if that helps any.

So far my basket includes 18 AWG cables of 5 colours (well 4 2 ground/black). Some SATA EZ Crimp 90 degrees connectors.

Luckily all my peripheral connectors are SATA (all HDDs and ODD) so I can build one cable. I am looking at my Be quiet PSU end connectors and they look like ATX PSU 24 pin style pins, so I need some of those right? Does anyone know if I need pins for the SATA connectors too? It looks like you literally push the cable in and done, but cannot be certain.

Also I need 1 floppy connector and 1 more fan connector/splitter. Since I need a floppy power (for a SATA multiplier) I may aswell stick the front fan on there too. I'll make a very short separate cable for that though. The problem comes here from pins and such again. Can you advise me on what I need to buy. I'm buying a crimping tool with this.

Is there any guides anywhere to do this at all? Google isnt very helpful particularly. I've seen a few people make cables but its mostly in build logs and you lose track of those quickly. Plus the amount of pages gets too much to search through.

Soldato
The floppy connector is a Berg connector and I've no idea what type of terminals they are and where they come from. They aren't used so much these days. Might be easier to use Molex to floppy for that one of you can get away with is aesthetically. They are just 5v, 0v, 0v, 12v so not hard to power anyway.

Some SATA power connectors are insulation displacement types so only need to be pushed home, others are crimped terminals.

SATA data connectors are more difficult.

ATX type minifit junior Molex connectors should be simple enough with crimp terminals, applicator tools, terminals all readily available.

Back
Top Bottom