PSU going 10 year + strong!

Associate
I thought it was this year actually, but thought I would give this PSU a 10 year birthday, belated granted now!

no hiccups so far however looking at current hardware, seems like I will be likely retiring this little unit this year for more power.

6SURdoyl.png.jpg

NEtJBBEl.jpg

(if this is the wrong thread, feel free to place it in the correct thread)

Soldato
Yeah it only has 2x PCIe connectors like my trusty Antec Basiq 550W from December 2010. Only reason I replaced is because I wanted 3x PCIe connectors and a bit more horsepower.

Soldato
I just replaced a PSU in a 386 PC that has been in use almost every day of is life, since around 1989, it is used in a factory and controls a really old part of their machinery (metal working).

PSU's can last decades, they are pretty simple things really, just other things change that make them redundant.

Associate
Still have a Thermaltake toughpower that originally went into a core 2 duo system. It's now in my father in laws pcs.
Had a friend with something strange going on and they went through about 4 psus before moving house.

Man of Honour
I have the 750W version of that PSU, purchased 2009. Decent unit, I remember buying it from a local competitor because I needed one in a hurry when my NorthQ 850W blew up.

Associate
Got a 480w thermaltake purepower still keeping a 960T BE and R6950 going. The system was OC for a couple of years whilst it was my main system aswell, not a single blip from it.

Associate
I thought it was this year actually, but thought I would give this PSU a 10 year birthday, belated granted now!

no hiccups so far however looking at current hardware, seems like I will be likely retiring this little unit this year for more power

6SURdoyl.png.jpg

NEtJBBEl.jpg

(if this is the wrong thread, feel free to place it in the correct thread)

You should put it in British Museum:D

Associate
OP
Just goes to show the hardware can last the test of time, I think components are actually rated for like 15 years of use

I will be upgrading, in fact I am with a new CPU coming in, I have purchased a 850 watt to soon power the Ryzen 5900X and hopefully a new gpu this year, so need the extra grunt, from what I understand about PSUs is, you ideally want the power usage around 50-80% to be at its most efficient and with new GPUs actually asking for more grunt, well guess it was time, however I may put together a side system for something with the spare parts I have built up, my X99 motherboard and intel 5870K feels a bit outdated thanks to the modern hardware haha.

Back
Top Bottom