** PSU GUIDE BY GIBBO/8PACK TO TRY AND PREVENT COIL WHINE!! **

Associate
What is the difference in internals from the corsair ax1300i to the lower power rating psus in the same product line such as the Corsair AX860i. Seems strange you would highly recommend the ax1300i and not mention the other ax's- what's the difference?

Sadly where I live now, uae, I can't find superflower or antec supplies, whereas corsair is readily available.

OcUK Staff
OP
What is the difference in internals from the corsair ax1300i to the lower power rating psus in the same product line such as the Corsair AX860i. Seems strange you would highly recommend the ax1300i and not mention the other ax's- what's the difference?

Sadly where I live now, uae, I can't find superflower or antec supplies, whereas corsair is readily available.

Its not ax1300i, its ax1500i !!

On the 1500i they pulled all the stops out and clearly instructed the factory to build the best possible PSU available and they got it right, the 1500i is excellent but at the same time is £100 more than an EVGA 1600W Superflower built unit which in real world usage is also just as good.

Associate
I had coil whin on my 7990 using Corsait ax860.
I bought superflower platinum 1200w on black friday deals for 150£ and the coild whine is gone. Recommend!
295x2 is coming today :p

OcUK Staff
OP
I had coil whin on my 7990 using Corsait ax860.
I bought superflower platinum 1200w on black friday deals for 150£ and the coild whine is gone. Recommend!
295x2 is coming today :p

7990's were the kings of coil whine to be honest they all did it when overclocked, but at stock a good PSU certainly did help stop it, so glad Superflower worked for you. :)

295 X2 tend to suffer it far less. :)

Associate
Just to clarify, do people find better PSUs fix high pitched coil whine as well as low pitched buzzing at low FPS. I suffer from the latter and will probably pull the trigger on a SF very soon... I hope the buzzing stops!

Associate
The way to tell is a corsair psu was the old seasonic made units the part code on the box is cmpsu-ax750uk if it is the new part code format cp-9020000-gb then they are made by their newer oem partner (mostly cwt)

cool, I just dug out the invoice!

Corsair HX 850W ATX Modular SLI Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-850HXUK)

So I should be good to go!

Soldato
Unfortunately when I bought my PSU, I thought that going 'Overkill' would prevent coil whine. I'm now stuck with This absolute POS (OCZ ZX 1250w) which does my head in each time I try and play a game!

OCZ went bust, I can't return it!

Is it advisable to buy a PSU that has a wattage rating that's close to your computers Peak load? In my case the 1250w is massively overkill. I could get away with half the wattage.

OcUK Staff
OP
Unfortunately when I bought my PSU, I thought that going 'Overkill' would prevent coil whine. I'm now stuck with This absolute POS (OCZ ZX 1250w) which does my head in each time I try and play a game!

OCZ went bust, I can't return it!

Is it advisable to buy a PSU that has a wattage rating that's close to your computers Peak load? In my case the 1250w is massively overkill. I could get away with half the wattage.

Yes you'd be best with a quality 750W unit.

Associate
Hmm I've just switched from a cxm750 to a hxi750 to get more modular cable outputs. Thought about super flower or evga but I didn't fancy having to redo all the cables, with the hxi it was just plug and play.

Soldato
Just out of interest, do you get many sales of the cheap as chips PSUs?

I didn't realise that you stated in the descriptions of the cheap PSUs that they really arent recommended for gaming PCs. Thats very good of you :)

Associate
7990's were the kings of coil whine to be honest they all did it when overclocked, but at stock a good PSU certainly did help stop it, so glad Superflower worked for you. :)

295 X2 tend to suffer it far less. :)
i have my 295x2 in the case already. no whine. cant tell how it would be on ax860 tho.

very happy about 295x2. the price was insanely great for the most powerful card on the market ;)
thx ocuk

OcUK Staff
OP
Just out of interest, do you get many sales of the cheap as chips PSUs?

I didn't realise that you stated in the descriptions of the cheap PSUs that they really arent recommended for gaming PCs. Thats very good of you :)

We sell a few hundred a month and get hardly any back, but I suspect people buying them are buying them as per our recommendation and for very basic PC's. :)

If your trying to build your kids a mega cheap PC to do homework on or just want something for web browsing and email then your buying the cheapest possible items and at such times there is a place for a cheap junk PSU as for such task they are fine.

Soldato
Hi Gibbo, loving the round up of Premium and High End PSUs.

Would you be willing to do a list of budget options you would recommend? As you say there are many reasons why budget may be tight and it'd be great to have a list of PSUs sub £50-60 tops you'd recommend/consider acceptable compromises and others you wouldn't personally touch with a barge pole!

I believe I got unlucky, but having had one of the EVGA 500W units cause major surges and breaker trips on me and cause me a load of headaches(despite good reviews), after being forced to find a PSU at a budget, I can't imagine how many people would appreciate a quick list like you've done for the higher tiers, to ensure they're buying something on the better end of the budget-scale, as I'm quite willing to believe once cost becomes tight, the quality can vary immensely.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi Gibbo, loving the round up of Premium and High End PSUs.

Would you be willing to do a list of budget options you would recommend? As you say there are many reasons why budget may be tight and it'd be great to have a list of PSUs sub £50-60 tops you'd recommend/consider acceptable compromises and others you wouldn't personally touch with a barge pole!

I believe I got unlucky, but having had one of the EVGA 500W units cause major surges and breaker trips on me and cause me a load of headaches(despite good reviews), after being forced to find a PSU at a budget, I can't imagine how many people would appreciate a quick list like you've done for the higher tiers, to ensure they're buying something on the better end of the budget-scale, as I'm quite willing to believe once cost becomes tight, the quality can vary immensely.

The budget ones are listed here already, this is my recommendation on all PSU's £50-£400, I'd not recommend any PSU sub £50!

The EVGA 500W are cheap, they are not Superflower and I do not recommend them.

The best low cost PSU's we offer which are good quality of the Superflower HX series, quality wise they are unbeatable for the money.

Soldato
Ah-hah, fair play Gibbo, thanks for sating my curiosity as far as it goes. Do you have any 'if you must' recommendations? Again, I am playing Devil's Advocate here, but I am sure there are many for whom they simply cannot stretch to £50 and are working at an absolute budget. If not completely understood, I think many would appreciate the feedback on the varying quality of the cheaper units from 'If you must' to 'buy at your own risk!'.

And certainly no disagreements on the Superflower, I have seen the Johnny Guru reviews and they are excellent seemingly across the board essentially, I have already recommended at least one unit which was purchased from yourselves last week :)

PPS...please don't say Q-Tec ;) :p

OcUK Staff
OP
Ah-hah, fair play Gibbo, thanks for sating my curiosity as far as it goes. Do you have any 'if you must' recommendations? Again, I am playing Devil's Advocate here, but I am sure there are many for whom they simply cannot stretch to £50 and are working at an absolute budget. If not completely understood, I think many would appreciate the feedback on the varying quality of the cheaper units from 'If you must' to 'buy at your own risk!'.

And certainly no disagreements on the Superflower, I have seen the Johnny Guru reviews and they are excellent seemingly across the board essentially, I have already recommended at least one unit which was purchased from yourselves last week :)

PPS...please don't say Q-Tec ;) :p

All I would recommend if budget was tight would be these:

SuperFlower Golden Green HX 350W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black @ £41.99 inc VAT

CA-001-SF_400.jpg

nonl2br
The Golden Green HX series are the perfect all rounder. They meet 80+ Gold Standards resulting in lower electricity usage, saving on the bills, hence the green. The Gold Rating means they are capable of powering pretty much any PC specification and the 14cm fan ensures the PSU stays cool whilst remaining quiet. One of our best value for money Gold Rated power supplies we sell.
<br><br>
<h1>Features</h1>
- Supports all Intel and AMD Dual Core and Quad core and its compatible Motherboards, ATX/BTX compliant.
<br>- Supports Intel Core i7-980X / Core i7 / Core i5 / Core 2 Quad / Core 2 Duo &AMD Phenom II X6 / Phenom II X4 / Phenom II X3 / Athlon 64 X2series chip set.
<br>- EPS 12V Ver2.92
<br>- Patent black color connector, easy plug-in design, safe and firmly attached.
<br>- Fit in with EuP(Energy-using Products) instructions / U.S.A Energy Star standards: energy consumption during shut off status less than 1W
<br>- PCI-E power plugs are setup in a 6+2 configuration for the latest graphic cards and Compatible with every brand.
<br>- Patent 14cm LED Low Noise Fan, Great air flow for exceptional heat dissipation.
<br>- Passed 80 PLUS® Gold Certification, on 20% 50% 100% loading, with 91.64% 92.88% 90.99% Transform Efficiency.
<br>- Full Range APFC, support 100V~250V.
<br>- Patent high power and low consumption transformer / Patent dual voltage circuit with intelligence thermal control system (Patent applying for U.S.A, Taiwan, Mainland China and other countries)
<br>- Solid state Capacitance is used for longer lasting and higher reliability.
<br>- Extend Output Capacitance are used for higher stability and longer lasting.
<br>- Over Voltage Protection / Over Current Protection / Over Power Protection / Short Circuit Protection / Under Voltage Protection
<br>- Switches on/off test for more than 2000 times.
<br>- Multiple safety certificates acquired.
<br>- All series are made of RoHS unleaded green material.
<br><br>
<h1>Specification</h1>
- Real Power: 350W
<br>- Transform Efficiency: on 20% 50% 100% loading, with 88.77% 92.82% 88.61% Transform Efficiency
<br>- Intel Power Design Guide: EPS Ver. 2.92
<br>- Outlook: Honeycomb ventilation panel, high efficiency air flow design
<br>- Fan Size: 12cm Silent Blue LED Fan with temperature control
<br>- Dimension: 145mm(L) x 150mm(W) x 86mm(H)
<br>- Protection: OVP/OCP/OPP/SCP/UVP
<br>- Safety Certificates: BSMI R33529 / CE / FCC / CUL / cTUVus / CB
<br><br>
<h1>Connectors</h1>
- 1 x 20+4-Pin ATX12V/EPS12V
<br>- 1 x 4+4-Pin ATX12V/EPS12V
<br>- 2 x 6+2-Pin-PCIe
<br>- 4 x SATA
<br>- 3 x 4-Pin-Molex
<br>- Warranty: 5yr

Only £41.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

SuperFlower Golden Green HX 450W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black @ £49.99 inc VAT

CA-002-SF_400.jpg

nonl2br
The Golden Green HX series are the perfect all rounder. They meet 80+ Gold Standards resulting in lower electricity usage, saving on the bills, hence the green. The Gold Rating means they are capable of powering pretty much any PC specification and the 14cm fan ensures the PSU stays cool whilst remaining quiet. One of our best value for money Gold Rated power supplies we sell.
<br><br>
<h1>Features</h1>
- Supports all Intel and AMD Dual Core and Quad core and its compatible Motherboards, ATX/BTX compliant.
<br>- Supports Intel Core i7-980X / Core i7 / Core i5 / Core 2 Quad / Core 2 Duo &AMD Phenom II X6 / Phenom II X4 / Phenom II X3 / Athlon 64 X2series chip set.
<br>- EPS 12V Ver2.92
<br>- Patent black color connector, easy plug-in design, safe and firmly attached.
<br>- Fit in with EuP(Energy-using Products) instructions / U.S.A Energy Star standards: energy consumption during shut off status less than 1W
<br>- PCI-E power plugs are setup in a 6+2 configuration for the latest graphic cards and Compatible with every brand.
<br>- Patent 14cm LED Low Noise Fan, Great air flow for exceptional heat dissipation.
<br>- Passed 80 PLUS® Gold Certification, on 20% 50% 100% loading, with 91.64% 92.88% 90.99% Transform Efficiency.
<br>- Full Range APFC, support 100V~250V.
<br>- Patent high power and low consumption transformer / Patent dual voltage circuit with intelligence thermal control system (Patent applying for U.S.A, Taiwan, Mainland China and other countries)
<br>- Solid state Capacitance is used for longer lasting and higher reliability.
<br>- Extend Output Capacitance are used for higher stability and longer lasting.
<br>- Over Voltage Protection / Over Current Protection / Over Power Protection / Short Circuit Protection / Under Voltage Protection
<br>- Switches on/off test for more than 2000 times.
<br>- Multiple safety certificates acquired.
<br>- All series are made of RoHS unleaded green material.
<br><br>
<h1>Specification</h1>
- Real Power: 450W
<br>- Transform Efficiency: on 20% 50% 100% loading, with 88.77% 92.82% 88.61% Transform Efficiency
<br>- Intel Power Design Guide: EPS Ver. 2.92
<br>- Outlook: Honeycomb ventilation panel, high efficiency air flow design
<br>- Fan Size: 12cm Silent Blue LED Fan with temperature control
<br>- Dimension: 145mm(L) x 150mm(W) x 86mm(H)
<br>- Protection: OVP/OCP/OPP/SCP/UVP
<br>- Safety Certificates: BSMI R33529 / CE / FCC / CUL / cTUVus / CB
<br><br>
<h1>Connectors</h1>
- 1 x 20+4-Pin ATX12V/EPS12V
<br>- 1 x 4+4-Pin ATX12V/EPS12V
<br>- 2 x 6+2-Pin-PCIe
<br>- 4 x SATA
<br>- 3 x 4-Pin-Molex
<br>- Warranty: 5yr

Only £49.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

These two are great quality and the price really is very good considering the quality of the internals.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

If funds really are tight, though I won't recommend it but I will show it you:

BeQuiet System Power 7 350W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply @ £32.99 inc VAT

CA-076-BQ_400.jpg

An excellent choice for stability, performance and superior quiet. From the #1 manufacturer of PSUs in Germany for six years running.

Features:
- 120mm be quiet! fan reduces system noise
- Certified 80PLUS Bronze / Silver efficiency (up to 90%)
- Stronger +12V rails support bigger system builds
- Supports Multi-GPU Systems based on ATI or nVidia graphic cards (400-700W)
- Sleeved cable lengths for improved cooling and more attractive appearance (450-700W)
- Meets Intel C6, ErP 2013 and Energy Star 5
- Power consumption in stand by below 0.25W
- Safe operation in ambients of up to 40°C
- Full suite of top safety protections defends against over-currents, over- and under-voltages, short circuits, overheating and overloads, thus safeguarding valuable components
- Follows RoHS, WEEE and REACH regulations
- German product conception, design and quality control
- Three year warranty

Only £32.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

For the money its good, but it is not something I'd buy but for £30 area your not gonna find much better and its a genuine real PSU that does exactly as it claims. :)

Soldato
Cheers, I am sure that will help a number of people out, building basic units etc. Luckily I have no need for an 'ultra-budget' one right now, but I am sure others will!

It's always interesting to get real feedback based on people who see sheer volume as well as reviews, which lets be fair in some cases are from reviewers who have been sent cherry picked rather than retail units.

Back
Top Bottom