** PSU GUIDE BY GIBBO/8PACK TO TRY AND PREVENT COIL WHINE!! **

OcUK Staff
OP
Cheers, I am sure that will help a number of people out, building basic units etc. Luckily I have no need for an 'ultra-budget' one right now, but I am sure others will!

It's always interesting to get real feedback based on people who see sheer volume as well as reviews, which lets be fair in some cases are from reviewers who have been sent cherry picked rather than retail units.

Yeah understood.

It is why now we more or less build all our own systems with Superflower as well now, we used Corsair, BeQuiet and OCZ many years ago. Superflower is proving the most reliable for us. :)

Soldato
I realise that this is obviously a question you may not be able to answer for a number of reasons, but out of the 'branded' units/brands that would usually be considered safe bets by many, are there any you would actually advise to avoid right now?

OcUK Staff
OP
I realise that this is obviously a question you may not be able to answer for a number of reasons, but out of the 'branded' units/brands that would usually be considered safe bets by many, are there any you would actually advise to avoid right now?

My recommendations are in the OP, those are what I would personally buy. That is all I am saying on the subject, if it is not in the OP I'd not buy it for me personally. :)

Soldato
I'm planning on getting a gtx 970 at some point, will my psu suffer coil whine? It's been pretty good for a couple years so far with what I have. Just a bit worried, because Lepa psu's disappeared off the face of the Earth several months after I bought mine.

Associate
Seasonic never made an ax760, they made the old ax750 which was good. All ax760 are inferior now.

The way to tell is a corsair psu was the old seasonic made units the part code on the box is cmpsu-ax750uk if it is the new part code format cp-9020000-gb then they are made by their newer oem partner (mostly cwt)

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate, the AX Platinums (AX760 and AX860) are Seasonic built. And some of the old CMPSU SKU products weren't Seasonic like the AX1200. I agree with your sentiment that not all Corsair PSU's are created equally, even those amongst the same product family can have different OEM's.

Thanks for the little roundup Gibbo. I do have some respect for Superflower I just think their branding and design is next level retarded looking, I guess I could live with some of the high end EVGA units.

JR

Associate
Well I was glad to see this list and made it simple to just pick a PSU form the list. No what PSU should I use.. simple good advice just what I needed

Thanks

Associate
Yes, the PSU will not always cure it but me and 8 Pack have used and tested so many and the ones above are what we both recommend, we personally would not buy or recommend anything else.

Of course OcUK as a store sells many other models and brands, they are just simply brands neither myself or 8 Pack would use in our own PC, so take that as you see fit. :)

if you say Superflower HX and Leadex are very high-end internally why warranty only 5 years compere with another's 7 or even 10 years? Thanks

Associate
Nice to see the 650 Watt EVGA PSU I plan to buy is on this list. Especially as I intend to get an MSI GTX 970, perhaps the biggest coil-whine culprit. If that isn't an issue, the only other real downside to it is the lack of backplate, I've heard it's otherwise one of the best 970s around. That and its also down to sheer luck, some folks don't get any coilwhine, so lets hope I get lucky. I would stretch to a Superflower, but I'm already a bit overbudget, according to my calculations. Cheers for this handy thread.

Back
Top Bottom