** PSU GUIDE BY GIBBO/8PACK TO TRY AND PREVENT COIL WHINE!! **

Associate
Lots of PSU's in the store I wondered if there were any updates for the OP?
Intrested in the higher end Corsair units with the available cable upgrade kits.

Soldato
Hi, im looking for a PSU, i have tried 2 and both gave coil whine, im wondering what is the return policy if i get a PSU and it makes Coil whine ?

Thanks

Associate
Would appreciate a refresh on this thread? I believe someone else has noted above, but now with far more variety on the market with power supplies, is there any further review with some of the new ranges that came out since the OP?

Soldato
All PSUs have some level of fan noise when under load that is nearing the PSU max rating, so if your main objective is no noise, then overspecing a wattage would be good for you. That being said decent PSU's the noise is still quite low at high load.
Also noise tolerances very person to person too.

Soldato
Super Flower Golden Green HX is actually question mark.
Original Golden Green (no HX in model number and wire finger guard for fan instead of stamped mesh) had quality capacitors.
But only reviews there have been show cheap CapXons in low power Golden Green HX.
With lack of reviews and notably cheaper price than known quality capped PSUs there's good reason to suspect other models are also using cheap capacitors.

All PSUs have some level of fan noise when under load that is nearing the PSU max rating
And lack of any fan noise at high load would be sign to get worried about PSU's long term reliability/survival chances.
Which requires keeping components under certain tempertures.
Especially semiconducts die fast if getting too hot.

Passively cooled PSUs have most components heavily oversized for a reason.
Though in case of capacitors higher ambient temperature is always going to have effect to their endurance.

Soldato
The way to tell is a corsair psu was the old seasonic made units the part code on the box is cmpsu-ax750uk if it is the new part code format cp-9020000-gb then they are made by their newer oem partner (mostly cwt)

I can confirm I have two of the Seasonic made ax750 PSUs of 2011 vintage. Both still working perfectly. £130 each at the time I think but we'll worth the investment.

Man of Honour
Seeing some of the posts above - at max "chat" my Seasonics with Sanyo Denki fans are significantly quieter than a number of other PSUs I have including ones with internals by OEMS such as Delta and FSP, etc. don't think I actually have any CWT made units currently - they weren't exactly great PSUs in my experience.

Associate
My question may be in the wrong thread but here goes. In about 2009 I got a AMD Phenom II X4 940 and a gigabyte mobo. It worked well for about 8 years until may daughter took it over (when she started making youtube vids and installing as many hdd's as would fit). After about 8 yrs (2017ish) we started to get boot issues. Taking a HDD out solved the problem temporarily. Eventually we only had 1 SSD left in there. Note that I tested the HDD's in another computer and they worked fine. I assumed that it was the PCI controller on the mobo that was failing (unfortunately I threw it away and built her a 1700 OC system which cost lots of money). Was the mobo failing or is it more likely to be the PSU?

Back
Top Bottom