1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU making strange noise

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by alan, 14 Sep 2009.

1. alan

Gangster

Bought a pc off of a friend who to be fair did warn me that the psu (Coolermaster m520 I think) made an annoying whirring sound. However I used the pc fine without any noises for a week, and suddenly I switched it on yesterday and it constantly makes a buzzing/whirring sound. It is the fan on the psu that is making this noise. Also if i lean the tower on its side then the noise stops....very strange.

I've tried cleaning out the whole pc and all the fans. Didnt actually open up the psu, as I wasnt confident I should do this.

Therefore my question is should/can I open the psu and clean it out. Or are there any other ways I could try to stop this very annoying sound?

2. chippy08

Mobster

It might be your fan making the whirring noise but as for buzzing dont sound good might be best to replace it just in case.

3. Kennysevenfold

Sgarrista

More than likely the bearings on the psu fan, so a sure sign it will fail at some point :p

new psu in the close future :)

4. alan

Gangster

As far as im aware this psu has only been used for less than 6 months :S is there any way to fix in?

5. Kennysevenfold

Sgarrista

Hmm it is strongly advised not to open a psu up.

Contact the manufacturer of the psu and see about getting it rma'd

6. Temi_D

Wise Guy

are you really sure the noise is from the psu?