1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jaz, 3 Feb 2006.

1. Jaz

Wise Guy

Ive just got the bits for my upgrade, I ordered a Asus A8NSLI Premium and 1 XFX 7800GT.

now i wasn't really thinking about the PSU, but my system currently has an old tagan 480w one in there. What i need to know before i start taking my old PC apart, do i need to be worried about my PSU?

it'll be running everything at stock which is:

AMD 3500+
    Asus A8NSLI Premium
    XFX 7800GT EE (orwhatever the C'd one is, i guess it's not stock then)
    80GB PATA HD
    160GB PATA HD
    250GB SATA HD
    1gb geil value ram
    1 Liteon dvd rom
    1 NEC DVD+-RW
    stock CPU cooler

and thats it, tbh i'm thinking of removing the 2 PATA HD's and getting another 250~300GB SATA

2. Dutch Guy

Capodecina

480W is enough for that system, what's almost more important is how much amps the PSU can give on the 12V rail and should be at least >20A and preferable >25A but I think the Tagan is close or over 30A but you could check that to be sure.

3. topher

Mobster

It should be fine mate.

you could always monitor the voltage's

topher

4. Jaz

Wise Guy

my only concerns are because it's an older tagan and i don't think it has the PCI E adapter and i can't remember if it comes with a sata adaptor too.

5. Dutch Guy

Capodecina

You usually get a PCIe convertor when you buy a PCIe videocard and you can also buy convertors for S-ATA power connectors.