1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

psw

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by comp builder, 26 Jul 2006.

1. comp builder

Hitman

hi,
    earlier when i took my computer case off (i didnt change anything) then i put it back on and when i put the power cable into the psw i heard a pop and i think i have shroted it out, so i took the psw out and took it apart the fuse inside is brown so i think that has blown so if i un-solder the fuse and get my dad to find one with the right ampage and solder the new one on would it work or is it a waste of time
    thanks,
    dan

2. Raikiri

Capodecina

PSU?

They hold a deadly charge for quite a while, it really isnt worth it and I don't know if it would even work. RMA it if you can or buy a replacement.

3. Joe42

Mobster

Fuses die for a reason. The fuse died to prevent further damage or fire due to another fault.

What psu is it? Some random cheap no name brand connected to 1000s of £s worth of kit?

4. comp builder

Hitman

its an AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ venice psu

5. comp builder

Hitman

so what u suggest is to buy a new psw rather thank trying to repair the 1 i have now???

6. SiriusB

Capodecina

That is your CPU.

What is your PSU... U DAMMIT!

It should say on the PSU what make/model it is.

SiriusB

7. Raikiri

Capodecina

PSU = Power Supply Unit
    CPU = Central Processing Unit
    PSW = nothing

8. cobxx

Gangster

PSU = That block you put the mains plug into that has wires going into things in your comp
    CPU = That thing in the middle which is covered by a bigger metal which normally has a fan on
    PSW = nothing
    :cool:

Leave the PSU for a while man, the capacitors in there hold a deadly charge for days. Leave it a week at least, or try and RMA it. Is it a major brand one though (antec/seasonic/enermax etc.) or just an el cheapo (powerking or some funny name like that) If it's an el cheapo, just get a new one, it's not worth repairing.