PTFE tape on fittings

Soldato
Never used it in all my loops, don’t know of any friends who have used it either. When viewing builds / YouTube elsewhere does not seem all that common (as in never seen it used).

Soldato
Aren't most water cooling fittings sealed with o-rings nowadays?

There's a lot of misused PTFE tape in plumbing as well. The only commonplace you're going to use it is fitting radiator tails. You often see it used on compression fittings where it makes zero sense.

Associate
OP
Cheers. It only came to mind while I was watching Jayz2cents build his new rig and saw him screwing then in dry (!) that maybe I was adding an unnecessary step to the process.

Associate
I personally wouldnt do this, PTFE is for tapered threads... adding it on a straight thread sealed by o-ring is just potentially adding debris to the loop if applied wrong or screwing with the torque you put on fittings.

Associate
SWAK would be a better thing to use if you really wanted to use something i think, its a liquid PTFE we use in the pneumatic/hydraulic industry a lot.

Soldato
Using PTFE you run the risk if particles getting into the loop and stuck in your block plates, probably riskiest time would be if you unscrewed a fitting and were not meticulously careful bits don't drop in etc. I don't see any upsides to using it nowadays personally.

Soldato
I only tried this on my res top as was having a lot of evaporation. But I took it off as worried about how tatty it got and it going into the loop.

Back
Top Bottom