Pub Quiz!

Associate
Someone who likes to put things into other people of the same sex's chocolate star fish.....

Oh. I didn't realise gay people had such a passion for pub quizzes. My experience of being 'a bender' as you so eloquently put it, is more along the lines of too much tequila, poppers, noisy clubs, and casual sex. Perhaps I was doing it wrong...

Soldato
Oh. I didn't realise gay people had such a passion for pub quizzes. My experience of being 'a bender' as you so eloquently put it, is more along the lines of too much tequila, poppers, noisy clubs, and casual sex. Perhaps I was doing it wrong...

At least you know how to get your life back on track now.

Gangster
Associate
OP
It seems you are all struggling with this... So let me try and help kick it off...

Q: Water covers what % of the earth?
A:
71%

Q: what is the number for Pí? (To three decimal places, as corrected by Six6siX :p)
A:

Q: What is the Japanese word; translated into English to make 'empty orchestra'?
A:
Karaoke

Last edited:
Associate
I always like the one "what does Tyrannosaurus Rex mean in English?", being told by the question master that the answer is "tyrant lizard", then having to point out that they've forgotten the word "king". :rolleyes:

Twice this has happened! :eek:

Soldato
When composing quizzes I always like to include something like, "In the Bible, how many of each animal did Moses take into the ark?". You'd be surprised at the number of people it actually catches out.

Soldato
When composing quizzes I always like to include something like, "In the Bible, how many of each animal did Moses take into the ark?". You'd be surprised at the number of people it actually catches out.
probably cos they'd be expecting the composer to create sensible questions and not try and show how awesomely tricky they are.

Gangster
Associate
OP
Found some more good ones:

Q: Which drink translated into English means 'Aunt Mary'?
A: Tia Maria

Q: Which beer had an advertisement slogan; 'Stay sharp to the bottom of the glass'?
A:
Harp Larger

Q: What is the second largest country in the world?
A:
Canada

Q: What is the cheapest property on the monopoly board?
A:
Old Kent road

Man of Honour
I was in a quiz some time ago, at a pub in Herne Hill, South London.
At the end our team tied with another team, and there was a one question shoot-out, each team nominating one member.
I got the nod, and the quiz master gave me and the other guy a piece of paper each, and said, "Whoever is the closest to the correct answer wins, okay?"
The question was, "How many languages are spoken in India?"
I thought that it would be a lot, so I wrote 72, the other guy put a low number, maybe 3 or 4.
We were all amazed when the quiz master said that it ran into the 100s, and made our team the winners.
When we googled it later, it said officially 22, but with a whole slew of dialects, maybe that's what was meant.

Caporegime
What is the name of the currency in Vietnam? I put down "wang" for comedy value. The answer was "dong". Devastated.

I've run a few quizzes at work in my time. I like being the quizmaster.

If the Proclaimers set off from their home in Leith and, heading due south, walked 500 miles and then proceeded to walk 500 more, without any regard for mountains, forests rivers or indeed any seas they might encounter, which country would they be in when they fell down at your door?

Spain

Which english county does not border any others?

The Isle of Wight

Which is the only UK motorway to completely encircle a city?

The M60 around Manchester. The M25 is not a motorway at, if memory serves, the Dartford Tunnel.

Gangster
Associate
OP
The question doesn't specify the number of decimal places required. Would you award more points for someone who provided 10? What about if someone just put 3? Or the fraction approximation?

This is a bad question and you should feel bad.

Damn, you're right. Need to fix that one...

I feel bad now. :(

Associate
Which is the only UK motorway to completely encircle a city?

Your answer to this still isn't perfect because at Simister Island, you have to come off the motorway, to a roundabout and get back on. If you don't you continue onto the M62 when going clockwise or M66 when going anticlockwise.

I was in a quiz some time ago, at a pub in Herne Hill, South London.
At the end our team tied with another team, and there was a one question shoot-out, each team nominating one member.
I got the nod, and the quiz master gave me and the other guy a piece of paper each, and said, "Whoever is the closest to the correct answer wins, okay?"
The question was, "How many languages are spoken in India?"
I thought that it would be a lot, so I wrote 72, the other guy put a low number, maybe 3 or 4.
We were all amazed when the quiz master said that it ran into the 100s, and made our team the winners.
When we googled it later, it said officially 22, but with a whole slew of dialects, maybe that's what was meant.

Similar story to this. We were in a tie with another team and the quiz master did the same shoot-out. The question was "What is the distance, in millimetres, between the inside edges of the rails on a standard gauge railway track in the UK". My friend, who is a train enthusiast, didn't even pause for a second before blurting out the correct answer - 1435mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Your answer to this still isn't perfect because at Simister Island, you have to come off the motorway, to a roundabout and get back on. If you don't you continue onto the M62 when going clockwise or M66 when going anticlockwise.
You can have roundabouts on motorways, bewilderingly enough. There's one where the m58 joins the m6 as well, and a few others.

Back
Top Bottom