Pump mounted horizontally ok? 280mm HTPC

Associate
Hey guys.

As per title, just wondering if its OK to have your aio pump mounted horizontally?
So... If you were to look down at the ground, the aio logo would be facing up at you.

As in this pic (on a g12) :
kSpJRDD

https://ibb.co/kSpJRDD

All I see is posts about having pump below rad and tubes facing up (no issue here as my rad will be attached to case lid directly above pump - after cutting some holes).
3x14cm fans for intake in HTPC, yeah baby!

Case - node 605 (HTPC)
Aio - kraken x61 with g12 bracket
Gpu - rtx2080

Last edited:
Soldato
I've always had my CPU AIOs fitted this way and the tubes swivel on the Kraken X63 pump housing for example to allow for this. My rad is horizontal with the tubes on one end (or side if you will) but both are still above the pump and I've not noticed any weird noises or temps in the year so it's been fitted. I even just checked the manual and the picture has the pump horizontal with the pump tubes pointing up so I can't see it being a problem with correct rad location.

Associate
OP
I've always had my CPU AIOs fitted this way and the tubes swivel on the Kraken X63 pump housing for example to allow for this. My rad is horizontal with the tubes on one end (or side if you will) but both are still above the pump and I've not noticed any weird noises or temps in the year so it's been fitted. I even just checked the manual and the picture has the pump horizontal with the pump tubes pointing up so I can't see it being a problem with correct rad location.

I'm so confused... Looked at the manual and can't see it installed horizontally? Yeah sure, when mounting it you'd lay the pc down flat and install horizontally (in a tower case)... But then when you pick the pc up its back in the 'correct' vertical position.

What I mean is can you install it in a horizontal pc. Not a tower pc?

... If you mount the pump as usual in a tower pc/any tower pc (so like the all manuals and pretty much every guide will tell you), but THEN you put the pc on its backside (as you probably had it when you were building in it).

So... In the position it would be for the coldplate to be touching the floor, the logo side of the pump facing the ceiling.

Like this horizontal case (node 605):
I psu ____________|°°°°|_______ I
I____________________________________I
I I I I
Case feet

Yeah it's cool you can change the tube direction. Had a corsair one where you couldn't do this and it was a nightmare to position (surprised I didn't cause a leak!).

Soldato
I don't like particularly like tower cases so I use a HAF XB EVO which is a double decker desktop design. Motherboard is horizontal and there a re plenty of people using open top "build" platforms that basically fully expose the innards for cases.

Associate
OP
Yes of course it is completely fine.

What a thread. :D

You could even have it upside down and horizontal, like it would be on a GPU in a normal case. ;)

Yeah seems obvious, but after hearing people complain of noise issues when pump mounted upside down on an nzxtg gpu g12 bracket (so, logo facing to the floor) and watching gamers nexus vid (one where he cut off the sides of an aio pump so you could see where the water was flowing) gave me doubts.

I myself noticed some noise when mounting on a g12 myself, noise dissappeared when putting the same pump back on cpu (mounted normally in tower case). And that was still with rad above the pump as gamers nexus suggests.

Back
Top Bottom