Punching Technique?

Associate
You really need to train with someone who knows how to fight, but if you want to practice at home a heavy bag would be the way to go. Just remember that a powerful punch requires the whole body behind it, don't punch using your arm alone for power.

Associate
If you dont want to do a martial art and the idea of going to a boxing gym doesnt appeal then I suggest you just buy yourself a punch bag and practice against it.

The only way to improve your punch is to practice, better technique for throwing the punch will come from a trainer. Just remember to start off light on a heavy bag, you dont want to strain your wrist from hitting a bag too hard with bad technique

Soldato
IceBus said:
I was joking about the one inch punch :p :rolleyes: Bruce trained for over twenty years to be able to perform the feats he did, I was simply replying to the guy who said not to reply on one punch to win a fight and I meant that only someone with a similar level of training to Bruce Lee or any other highly experienced MA artist could rely on being able to do that 99/100.

That's a brilliant way to kill someone. Striking the nose upwards is extremely dangerous even if you know what you're doing as get it even slightly wrong and you'll drive cartilage up through the front of the brain. Absolutely great if you want to be had up for manslaughter.

To be honest.. if someone's coming at me with a knife.. him dying is the least of my worries.

Soldato
The only way you are going to learn to punch properly is by going to a boxing gym and learning from someone who is experienced and instructs people how to punch for a living (or hobby).

Associate
Better still, learn how to not get into a situation where you have to resort to using your fists. Im not saying that ive never been in a situation where ive had to resort to fighting, but if you learn to diffuse any hostile situation then you win the fight, without raising a single fist.

Soldato
Got to be honest, even after 10 years of kung fu the last person i hit was with a haymaker.

Proper James T Kirk one.

Soldato
Smithy said:
Better still, learn how to not get into a situation where you have to resort to using your fists. Im not saying that ive never been in a situation where ive had to resort to fighting, but if you learn to diffuse any hostile situation then you win the fight, without raising a single fist.

The art of fighting, without fighting :)

Soldato
IceBus said:
That's your choice. I'd rather disarm and/or incapacitate someone than kill them. There's plenty of non-lethal ways to stop an attacker.

If there's a guy on me with a knife, my last thought is about his safety, especially including what type of non-lethal method I'm going to use to disarm him. If he's willing to put someone else's life on the line, he should be willing to face up to consequences involving his life that may result imo.

I could care less if I kill a person who was trying to kill/seriously injure me for no reason either over my lack of rizla's/lighter or a few quid/mobile in self defence.

edit: This sounds a bit keyboard warrior-esque. :p

Seriously though, who's going to think straight when they're full of adrenaline and their life is threatened?

Last edited:
Soldato
georges said:
If there's a guy on me with a knife, my last thought is about his safety, especially including what type of non-lethal method I'm going to use to disarm him. If he's willing to put someone else's life on the line, he should be willing to face up to consequences involving his life that may result imo.

I could care less if I kill a person who was trying to kill/seriously injure me for no reason either over my lack of rizla's/lighter or a few quid/mobile in self defence.

edit: This sounds a bit keyboard warrior-esque. :p

Seriously though, who's going to think straight when they're full of adrenaline and their life is threatened?

That's what training is for - to condition yourself to reply with the correct amount of force for a given situation. Also from a standpoint of avoiding landing yourself in prison.

I personally would see lethal force as an absolute last ditch if I knew I would die unless I took the other person's life or they would kill someone I love.

Associate
IceBus said:
That's what training is for - to condition yourself to reply with the correct amount of force for a given situation. Also from a standpoint of avoiding landing yourself in prison.

I personally would see lethal force as an absolute last ditch if I knew I would die unless I took the other person's life or they would kill someone I love.

Dude u cant say any of this unless u been in this situation. Its a little different training in the gym and being out in the real world.

Why you think people get killed on the streets day in day out, think armed police/military train more times than any as its there job, and they still call the wrong choices and people die.

Ok having hand to hand combat is different to having a rifle but u just dont know mate until it comes screaming in your face and you react.

Last edited:
Soldato
Conrad11 said:
Hi there,

Could anyone give me some pointers on some good punching techniques please?

Thanks....

by any chance, is this because of what happened at that party with the chavs? just a guess? :)

Associate
Bxing gym would be a good choice - a key part of being able to punch in a fight is avoiding being hit, but also being accustomed to being hit. If it's never happened, it can be a bit disorientating when it happens

Man of Honour
georges said:
edit: this illustrates it better:
These people are demonstrating extremely poor technique, it is virtually impossible to generate power or stability with that strike without grounding their back foot and locking their hips. You generate power by a solid grounded stance and the momentum generated by the rotation of the hips, the fast withdraw of the opposite arm and getting your body weight behind the punch. ALl they will do is slap the person and irritate them. Martial artists and boxer all do this, watch a good boxing punch in slo-mo and you will see all of those elements.

I have no idea what Tyu-Kan-Do is but I strongly suggest you don't learn that.

EDIT: Whilst I don't agree with punching like that here is a little video that demonstrates how to do a kickboxing cross punch, there are other videos on that site as well.:

http://sports.expertvillage.com/videos/kickboxing-technique-cross.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom