Punching Technique?

Soldato
That was just a picture to show what I was taught, in the couple of hours of self defence I did, how to put your hands.

I didn't learn any of that stuff, just the palm push up type thing they're semi doing. When we were practicing it, we put our weight behind it.

Soldato
wedgie22 said:
What happened at the party with the chavs? we wanna know!

i wasnt there, i heard about it from someone :) hehe. But erm yeah Boxing Gym would be your best bet, theres a place in Sutton for that too =). Or any other martial art.

Soldato
One swift jab to the nose, you don't need to hit like Tyson, it'll hurt come what may and the other guy will find it hard to clobber you when he can't see through his watering eyes.

Soldato
IceBus said:
That's a brilliant way to kill someone. Striking the nose upwards is extremely dangerous even if you know what you're doing as get it even slightly wrong and you'll drive cartilage up through the front of the brain. Absolutely great if you want to be had up for manslaughter.

lol wtf

Soldato
If you want to learn a martial art or boxing then go to a gym/dojo as they will teach you far better than anything on the net (not a pop, just you can't show someone the proper technique in words)

Soldato
IceBus said:
That's a brilliant way to kill someone. Striking the nose upwards is extremely dangerous even if you know what you're doing as get it even slightly wrong and you'll drive cartilage up through the front of the brain. Absolutely great if you want to be had up for manslaughter.

Stop watching so many movies.

Soldato
Balddog said:
Stop watching so many movies.

Well that is almost exactly the reason given for using it in lessons.
Its one of several techniques that are severly frowned upon and actively discouraged from being taught by governing bodies.

Its like hitting people with an elbow in the armpit, or driving an elbow between someones shoulder blades.

Soldato
atpbx said:
Well that is almost exactly the reason given for using it in lessons.
Its one of several techniques that are severly frowned upon and actively discouraged from being taught by governing bodies.

Its like hitting people with an elbow in the armpit, or driving an elbow between someones shoulder blades.

If it were so easy to push someones nose into their brain, why doesnt it happen to boxers or other fighters on a regular basis? People constantly get hit in that fashion...a fist would have the same effect...

Im sure it can kill..but then, a punch to the temple can also kill..

Soldato
Balddog said:
If it were so easy to push someones nose into their brain, why doesnt it happen to boxers or other fighters on a regular basis? People constantly get hit in that fashion...a fist would have the same effect...

Im sure it can kill..but then, a punch to the temple can also kill..

Without being condecending, boxers have great big fat gloves on that spread the force of the impact, and are not striking at the angle required or with bare knuckles or the palms of their hands.

To be quite frank, lots of people DO die from being punched int he face.

Soldato
atpbx said:
Without being condecending, boxers have great big fat gloves on that spread the force of the impact, and are not striking at the angle required or with bare knuckles or the palms of their hands.

To be quite frank, lots of people DO die from being punched int he face.

Thats not being condescending :dunno: notice i said boxers or other fighters..The angle required? What angle is that? Fighters strike at many different angles...

Can you show me any examples of people dying frm this?

Yes people die from being punched in the face, but not from their nose being pushed up into their brain.

Soldato
Balddog said:
Thats not being condescending :dunno: notice i said boxers or other fighters..The angle required? What angle is that? Fighters strike at many different angles...

Can you show me any examples of people dying frm this?

Yes people die from being punched in the face, but not from their nose being pushed up into their brain.

Im talking specifically about "noses being punced through their brain". I havent said its common, i've said that is what that particular technique is for and it has to be a good shot and it has to be done right, but its dangerous enough for it to be actively discouraged.

I've also said lots of people die from being punched in the face.

Soldato
atpbx said:
Im talking specifically about "noses being punced through their brain". I havent said its common, i've said that is what that particular technique is for and it has to be a good shot and it has to be done right, but its dangerous enough for it to be actively discouraged.

I've also said lots of people die from being punched in the face.

Well Icebus said that it would just happen and youd go to prison for it..That kinda implies its mad easy to do for the average joe...Thats what I replied to...

Do you have anything to suggest this happens regularly? or even semi regularly? Ive never even heard of it happening outside of the movies.

Soldato
Balddog said:
Well Icebus said that it would just happen and youd go to prison for it..That kinda implies its mad easy to do for the average joe...Thats what I replied to...

Do you have anything to suggest this happens regularly? or even semi regularly? Ive never even heard of it happening outside of the movies.

I didn't say it would happen, I said that it could and that I don't want to be trying a technique which is designed to be lethal as it's possible you could be unlucky and that could be the result. You'd be as likely to do it by mistake as someone well trained who'd know what to do to ensure it wasn't a lethal blow.

Soldato
Balddog said:

I understood the whole nose through the brain thing to be an urban myth. Something hitting you hard enough to push bits of your nose into your brain would probably end up in your brain itself imo.

Saw some pretty messed up faces over 10 years of full contact karate and I have never heard of anyone dying from a broken nose.

Soldato
firstborn said:
I understood the whole nose through the brain thing to be an urban myth. Something hitting you hard enough to push bits of your nose into your brain would probably end up in your brain itself imo.
Not true, it is possible, but the bridge needs to be damaged, and the nasal bones are meant to end up behind the glabella, but you do need to be superman to do it ;).

Best places to hit are probably nerve centres, such as the solar plexus (poke or punch), the brachial plexus (use the knife edge of your hand) and the armpit (punch or kick if you can get it), as they will disable an attacker briefly, but won't do much more. You can do that palm hitting thing, but I would recommend you do it on their chin rather than anywhere else, and it will disorientate them, but it's a good idea to do it with their mouth shut as otherwise you could cause them to bite off their tongue or could screw up their teeth, but that's their fault (as long as it's self defence ;)).

Last edited:
Associate
. You can do that palm hitting thing, but I would recommend you do it on their chin rather than anywhere else,

I'd agree with this, you can make it more of an upward push than a sharp strike to force the head back and ruin your opponents balance - of course you can also be nasty and use your fingers against the eyes at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom