Purchased a small French lightweight hot hatch - Renault Clio 172 Cup & NOW 182 Trophy

OcUK Staff
Hi there

So for quite sometime I have been looking at Citroen Saxo VTS, Peugeot 106 GTi and of course Renaultsport Clio's.

Though there were a few unmolested Saxo VTS going, well I say few, more like a couple which were not rotten or modified too silly, they had starship miles, all generally 130k plus, but were under £1000, but out of the three the Saxo was my least favourite.

So as those who know me and by my nickname on other forums (Gibbo205) will know I've owned four 205's two which were XS models and two GTI's, a 1.6 and q 1.9. So I did not want to go back here, plus a good example is over £10,000 now, so I was looking at 106 GTI's, with a firm favourite been sunflower yellow or diablo red. Unfortunately I missed out on a very clean Diablo red PH2 at £2600, was a bit too cheap. I did find a stunning sunflower 106 GTi but at £6000 it is simply over priced, the previous owner I chatted to and discovered the said garage gave him roughly £3500 for it and he had tried selling it privately at £3500 with no takers, which was a shame as I felt £3500 was a fair price and I'd have taken it. At £6000 it is too much, I did offer the garage £4000 but they refused, saying no discount which is fair enough as for sure in another couple of years I can see a very spot on 106 GTi in a rare colour fetching such money. The 106 GTi was my favourite for the looks and old school vibe!

So I moved onto Clio's I had narrowed it down to only wanting a 172 Cup, for the simple reason it was the lightest sporting no abs, no AC, thinner glass, wider tracks and lighter smaller wheels along with a basic cloth interior. Weighing in at 1011-1025kg depending where you look made it considerably lighter than the regular 172 PH2 by a good 90kg and 182 cups are around 1090kg. The power deficit is of course quite easy to make up by fitting the 182 manifold, cat and doing a remap.

As such I've been searching for a few months, discovering that most Clio 172 cups have either rotten away, blown up, been turned into track/race cars or spilt by silly modifications. The only really spot on examples fully restored are selling in the 4-6k region but are still quite high mileage at over 80,000 miles.

Then I spotted an advert on gumtree, a very poorly written advert, no pictures and even had it listed as Monaco blue which is not a cup colour, so to many would dismissed it not as a cup. What grabbed my attention was the car was 1 owner (yes still original owner) and had only done 54,000 miles, even better it seemed a very competitively priced £1950. :)

So I checked MOT history, which confirmed mileage and showed it had been in use since new covering 2000-4000 miles per year, I then completed an HPI check, all clear.

Next step was to email/ring the guy, asking on service history and this is where it went downhill, whilst the car was within warranty it was serviced by Renault, but once it was beyond 3yr old he has had his mechanic mate give it a yearly oil change and that is it. He has then relied on MOT failure/advisory and acted on the fails to get car through its MOT. Nothing more or less!

Yes that is right this 16yr old Clio 172 cup has never had a belts or pulley change in its life, this should be done every 72,000 miles or five years, the owners reasoning was because it has not done 72,000 miles yet and he only uses the car to commute too and from his place of work which is only 4 miles away.

I informed him that the car is due a major belts, pulley change along with service, plugs, all fluids and I'd be lucky to see much change from a grand and as such if the car is in good condition I'd offer £1750, he accepted.

So I went to view the vehicle and the condition in some ways was excellent and in others very poor.

Positives
  • Totally standard car apart from a replacement exhaust (not performance)
  • Unmarked interior, it is spotless inside
  • No signs of corrosion anywhere, behind seals, around fuel cap, behind arches, boot floor and underside, the shell seems absolutely spotless
  • Original glass throughout
  • New brake disc & pads all round
  • 1 owner & 54,000 miles
  • Drove fantastic, felt very tight, no knocks, clunks or bangs, kept revs low due to old belts
  • All electrics functioning, including alarm and original stereo
  • MOT & taxed, not been left standing for months
  • Original tool kit still in boot
  • No wear to steering wheel thumb grips or seat bolsters
  • Price

Negatives
  • Dephaser pulley is very loud, very noisy, diesel aka tractor noise
  • Some minor scratches to paint, a DA / Polish should resolve 90% of them
  • Paint chippings on door edge, ideally needs a very good touch up / repair or respray
  • 4 different tyres and nearly all of them losing air
  • 4 heavily corroded alloys
  • Cloudy headlights
  • Cracked and faded number plates
  • High rear brake light not working and gone yellow
  • Oil leak or power steering leak, or both, at front bottom of engine

So after some haggling I got him down from my original £1750 offer to a price we were both hapoy to shake on.

I then asked the question, so why did you buy the stripped version of the Clio and his response was simply because it was cheaper than the AC & leather version of the car, he simply wanted a fast ish car but had a budget, in his ownership it has mainly been used for trips to work and odd road trip, he also said its never let him down apart from failing some MOT's.

So as the rear tyres looked low on air, I requested if he would put some air in for me. :)

d5.jpg

d1.jpg

Drove the car home, keeping it in 5th and the speed around 60-70mph to keep the revs low, did give it a gentle squeeze at 60mph in 5th and the car picks up and accelerates quickly, though I only went upto 75mph, again due to belts been a ticking time bomb.

Once onto the country lanes, again just 5th gear but throwing it around a little, testing the brakes etc. The car feels like it wants to oversteer (maybe blown rear dampers) and the brake feel and modulation was excellent but felt a bit squirmy, more on that shortly.

So arrive at home, car returned 48mpg, not bad that, so checked the tyres, turns out front passenger side was down to 12psi, so that explains the squirmy feeling. Also all four tyres are different and oe of the fronts is a Winter tyre, no doubt also explains squirm under braking, it was also that Winter tyre at 12psi, as if Winters are not soft enough as it is.

Got it home, took a few pictures:

d4.jpg

d3.jpg

d2.jpg

So yep three blue cars on the drive way, not that you have much choice with a 172 cup as they only came in blue and silver with silvers been under 70 left on the road.

You can see the original Renault window stickers still present (I shall probably leave these as adds to the originality of the car) and the paint missing from door edge and of course the shocking condition of the tyres and clouding of the head lamps.

That is where the car shall stay now for a week or so until it is booked in for its belts, pulleys and full service, plus some restoration work.

So you ask why?

Well I wanted a car that was different from the other two, namely lightweight, FWD and a true old school hot hatch vibe, no ABS etc. though my M3 also has an ABS disable toggle switch as well as ABS on sticky tyres and on track is more annoying than useful to me as I think sticky compound tyres and much bigger brakes upset it.

Also these kinds of cars are moving up in value, this car needs an easy £!500 putting into it for it to be classed as a clean example, of course with the advantage of one owner and low miles once its perfect could fetch 4-5k in current climate, but I've not purchased it to quickly flip it and make a couple of grand.

The purchase is done as something to enjoy, but at the same time restore to it former full glory of when it was new, put some miles on it but not too many and then in say five years if the values are rocketing or have then maybe sell it, if the values go the way of 205 GTi then in ten years this in perfect condition with the low miles and low owners could easily fetch 20k. If that does not happen, then 2k, but the end result I had a lot of fun, smiles and grins, plus with this car I can actually keep my foot pinned to floor and not risk going to jail like in M3 or SVR.

This shall be my build thread, I shall of course be posting in the Renaultsport owners thread as well, but I wanted a nice tidy location to keep my progress and updates with the car, just as with my M3 track build thread. :)

P.S. I got the car a few days ago, so some restoration work and purchases have already commenced, those shall be posted to this thread over next day or so.

Soldato
Awesome sounds like a cracking deal.

I've been browsing for a couple of months for a 172 Cup or tidy 182. I have a similar spend in mind and the car will hardly be used as I work away a lot.

Never thought to check gumtree!

Soldato
I had one back in the day. Was fun until I crashed it. I remember the belts being a bit of a swine to change though.

Soldato
in ten years this in perfect condition with the low miles and low owners could easily fetch 20k

zqOs8yr.gif

Soldato
Well that makes quite the change from your Jag :D

No way could I have seen you buying a Saxo VTS.. can't even remember the last time I saw one of those

Soldato
@Gibbo

Very nice.

Fully restored to wholly original condition and maintained properly hereon in then you aren't going to be far off on future values. Just look at what an equivalent fully restored 205 GTI or Clio Williams costs now assuming your mileage doesn't really go up.

You really need to buy another one to drive and abuse now though.

Soldato
My brother crashed a 182 cup head on into a bentley driven by an 82 year old man around a corner - old geezer was on the wrong side of the road.

My brother is lucky to be alive and well. Clio disintegrated. Literally fell to pieces and the damage to my brother was awful. All ok now though thanks to an air lift and the John Radcliffe hospital.

Old man had to replace his bumper. Literally that’s all.

Be careful.

Love it by the way such awesome little cars.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Thanks guys yesterday I gave the car a thorough pressure washing and also cleaned the wheel arches out and made sure to get all the muck and dirt from behind the wheel arches, there was huge amounts of mud, got it all out and thankfully there is absolutely zero signs of corrosion on the inside arches and around fuel filler, so that is great news.

Got a bit of wet and dry on the go tonight, 400 dry, 800 wet, 1500 wet, then meguiars ultimate compound, meguiars polish and sealed with wax and then a sealant. They are now crystal clear again, cost of that was zero as used a drill bit I had from a headlight kit I ordered for the S-Type I had a few years ago and I already had the sand paper, polishes and waxes.

Also brake cleanered the engine bay to get rid of oil, soil and general dirt and then a quick wipe down and a quick hoover out.

Next job is to give the carpet and seats a good washing and cleaning, then all the panels a wipe down, but interior is pretty spotless so that won't be so hard.

Shall post up some pictures later or tomorrow. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
So yesterday removed old scabby plates and all washed yesterday along with arches cleansed and tried a quick polish on drivers headlight, came up quite well but not perfect, plus a quick hoover inside:

r5.jpg

r8.jpg

r7.jpg

So tonight a bit of wet and dry, polish and wax for the headlights to properly restore them:

Before (drivers side already polished):

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

After:

r9.jpg

r11.jpg

r10.jpg

Also spray some brake cleaner around the engine bay to get rid of grease, oil and dirt, plus a quick wipe over, by no means a proper clean:

r6.jpg

Very happy with results on the headlights, in person its a dramatic improvement. :)

Soldato
Check the drivers side engine mount
They have a habit of looking fine, but are actually totally seperated.

When I have my 172, I didn't realise until the engine jumped out of its mount...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Good find. That's looking really smart with some elbow grease.
As you say, some basic servicing and at worst it won't lose any more due to depreciation.

Commissario
A cracking buy!

Also meant to say in the other thread, check that the bonnet catch has been regularly greased and checked for corrosion, stories of them coming undone on a motorway...

Soldato
My brother crashed a 182 cup head on into a bentley driven by an 82 year old man around a corner - old geezer was on the wrong side of the road.

My brother is lucky to be alive and well. Clio disintegrated. Literally fell to pieces and the damage to my brother was awful. All ok now though thanks to an air lift and the John Radcliffe hospital.

Old man had to replace his bumper. Literally that’s all.

Be careful.

Love it by the way such awesome little cars.

I know someone who hit a lamp post in one at just 10mph... Write off due to bent chassis lol

They are not strong cars at all. Definitely needs a roll cage if tracking (or just in general tbh!).

Associate
Definitely worth down the line giving the engine inlets, guards etc a paint. Makes such an improvement to the bay. I went for a darker colour but they look great it silver.

Plus a fresh coolant bottle from ECP really makes it look younger. Here's mine atm -

WsZ7erD.jpg

OcUK Staff
OP
Check the drivers side engine mount
They have a habit of looking fine, but are actually totally seperated.

When I have my 172, I didn't realise until the engine jumped out of its mount...

I suppose to check I just grab the engine and try to shake and lift it? I did the old blip the engine at idle to see if the gear stick moves, yes it does move but not excessively, just a little, should there be zero movement or is a little normal? Driving it cannot really feel the gear stick moving when driving or changing gear.

Back
Top Bottom