Purchased Teamgroup 3200mhz 16gb from OCUK

Associate
Purchased on 16th October 2017 for customer.
Ram was running fine at the full 3200mhz speed.
Motherboard was gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 with Ryzen 1700.
Motherboard died.
Motherboard replaced by Gigabyte... same model.
The ram won't run past 2133mhz on it. Tried 4 different bios versions including latest F23.

Ram passes fully on windows memory diagnostic.

So I tried the ram on my Gigabyte Gaming 5 (AX370) also with Ryzen 1700...

Exactly the same... ram won't boot past 2133mhz.

My own ram is Teamgroup 8pack 4000mhz which runs perfectly at 3466mhz on the gaming 5.

The Teamgroup nighthawk https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...al-channel-kit-rgb-black-tf1d4-my-08m-tg.html

Will not work properly with the gaming 5 or gaming K5.

The shop is returning the K5 motherboard to me because it's fully operational with the Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz ram they tested with.

So I'm stuck with a motherboard that's fully operational (I hate the K5 but that's another story) and RAM that passes windows diagnostic but won't run past default 2133mhz...

Soldato
Purchased on 16th October 2017 for customer.
Ram was running fine at the full 3200mhz speed.
Motherboard was gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 with Ryzen 1700.
Motherboard died.
Motherboard replaced by Gigabyte... same model.
The ram won't run past 2133mhz on it. Tried 4 different bios versions including latest F23.

Ram passes fully on windows memory diagnostic.

So I tried the ram on my Gigabyte Gaming 5 (AX370) also with Ryzen 1700...

Exactly the same... ram won't boot past 2133mhz.

My own ram is Teamgroup 8pack 4000mhz which runs perfectly at 3466mhz on the gaming 5.

The Teamgroup nighthawk https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...al-channel-kit-rgb-black-tf1d4-my-08m-tg.html

Will not work properly with the gaming 5 or gaming K5.

The shop is returning the K5 motherboard to me because it's fully operational with the Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz ram they tested with.

So I'm stuck with a motherboard that's fully operational (I hate the K5 but that's another story) and RAM that passes windows diagnostic but won't run past default 2133mhz...

How did the motherboard die ? you know the memory controller is in the CPU, so if they say the motherboard is fine, id be looking at the CPU next rather than the RAM, yes you can try and RMA the RAM if that's easier, but if that come back fine, then its probably the CPU.

Associate
OP
How did the motherboard die ? you know the memory controller is in the CPU, so if they say the motherboard is fine, id be looking at the CPU next rather than the RAM, yes you can try and RMA the RAM if that's easier, but if that come back fine, then its probably the CPU.
Motherboard died due to VRM temp. Crappy K5 VRM needs more direct active cooling. The CPU is fine and I know this because that very same CPU has been running in my own system for over a month now!

Apparently the nighthawk 3200mhz ram isn't on the QVL for Gaming K5. I now have to ditch the bloody sticks. They were working at 3200mhz on the first K5 (before it died).

For my own system the 8-pack 4000mhz ram isn't on QVL for gaming 5 but it works no issue and with full manual timings for lowest latency.

I wouldn't be having this trouble with Intel.

Soldato
Motherboard died due to VRM temp. Crappy K5 VRM needs more direct active cooling. The CPU is fine and I know this because that very same CPU has been running in my own system for over a month now!

Apparently the nighthawk 3200mhz ram isn't on the QVL for Gaming K5. I now have to ditch the bloody sticks. They were working at 3200mhz on the first K5 (before it died).

For my own system the 8-pack 4000mhz ram isn't on QVL for gaming 5 but it works no issue and with full manual timings for lowest latency.

I wouldn't be having this trouble with Intel.

should have got an MSI board lol, I used to love Gigabyte motherboards, but when there bioses started getting a bit sloppy, I switched sides to MSI, recently I thought id give them another try, brought a Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7, I quickly learned that they haven't changed thier ways, I hated it, just eye candy and thats all, sold it and brought an MSI Gaming M7 X470 instead, running with a Ryzen 2700X and 16gb Team T-Force 8 pack edition 3200mhz (not on the QVL) but everything is running at full speed perfectly fine from the day I set it all up.

Associate
OP
should have got an MSI board lol, I used to love Gigabyte motherboards, but when there bioses started getting a bit sloppy, I switched sides to MSI, recently I thought id give them another try, brought a Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7, I quickly learned that they haven't changed thier ways, I hated it, just eye candy and thats all, sold it and brought an MSI Gaming M7 X470 instead, running with a Ryzen 2700X and 16gb Team T-Force 8 pack edition 3200mhz (not on the QVL) but everything is running at full speed perfectly fine from the day I set it all up.
Agree. I was really dumb with my own build last year. I always chose my own motherboards. Last year when I switched from intel to AMD for the first time I went with a mobo a friend had chosen because he wanted me to help him overclock. The Aorus boards look pretty nice in terms of visual appeal but within a month of purchase I hated it. Gaming 5 had a crappy bios for a long time. It's better now but Giga is not a brand I'm comfortable with. Had one back in the days of wolfdale and it had a bios fan speed bug that was never fixed.

I've read and watched so much negative feedback on the Giga board over the past year. The gaming K5 was a total shock... Difference in price between it and the gaming 5 is not massive but the K5 has the worst bios I've ever seen. Almost all OC settings are auto. It's a toy bios. Scan dot co dot uk have been very unhelpful in this case. I purchased the k5 from them late last year, they are sending it back to me now after they found it works with the corsair LPX ram they used for testing. I've opened a case with Gigabyte. I absolutely detest the K5. Will be my last Giga motherboard. The gaming 5 is bearable... it works with my 4000mhz teamgroup but I absolutely will not buy a giga next time round. From what I've seen MSI are getting better while Giga are going the other way. When they reach that state of decline it's really better for everyone if they disappear.

Associate
OP
Those team group you list are either hynix or the none screened Samsung b die.

Either way not great with ryzen imc and sadly gigabyte is behind on ram too with bios support.
Yup, I got the RMA K5 mobo back today (as I said... scan said it was working fully with their ram). So I have a possible solution via gigabyte... I seem to recall the K5 working fully with the 3200mhz teamgroup ram prior to the board dying. When I got the replacement K5 via RMA I flashed to latest bios. That's when the probs started. I only tried flashing bios F20, F21, 22 and 23. Giga told me to flash between version 10 and 4. Just finished building the machine again so I will flash and see how it goes. The first K5 board was running this ram at 3200mhz on XMP1 profile.

Associate
OP
There is nothing left I can do now. After following gigabyte advice to flash to older bios between F4 to F10 range... The board crashes even in the bios and in windows within minutes. The Teamgroup nighthawk actually boots at the full 3200mhz on XMP1 profile with bios F4 or F10... but even with optimised defaults loaded (no overclock at all) the system resets randomly within minutes.

I checked the ram with windows diagnostic and it passed both runs AOK. Scan tested the motherboard and said it works fine with the 3000mhz Corsair LPX ram. If I buy corsair 3000 there is no guarantee it will work as scan claim with this POS motherboard. If it was my own system I'd have ditched the motherboard already (never buying Giga again) but this is a client's system and I have to avoid incurring extra cost for myself. It's still within warranty on ram and motherboard. Motherboard certified OK by scan, ram works but not with this board.

Back
Top Bottom