Pure brilliant white! Wood and metal - aggro!!!

Soldato
Hey all.

Probably been answered a thousand times but this paint I have been using over the past year

Dulux pure brilliant white (once) satinwood. Like any gloss..is horrible to work with..

Sticky. Runs, and it seems to go yellow in no time at all so you find yourself redoing stuff after X months..

Is there anything that's brilliant white that's good with wood and metal not oil based and will not be annoying to apply, stay white for as long as possible and not go yellow

Sorry. Just having a paint rant as I hate the stuff

Associate
Yellowing was a dulux thing wasn't it when the EU banned certain additives? I had it happen to me...however, I thought this was resolved now??

F&B - expensive mind...

Soldato
It happens with almost all oil based gloss or satin paints not just Dulux and it hasn't really been resolved. Our house is painted with satin wood and it goes yellow where is isn't exposed to natural light, I assume it's the UV that's keeping it white. You end up with yellow patches where its been covered with something but it slowly fades back to white as the light gets to it.

Associate
I have tried numerous pure white gloss throughout my house.

Here's my findings:

Dulux Water Based Gloss: Still goes yellow, stay clear.

Leyland Water Based Gloss: Stays white, couldn't get a good finish from it though, brush marks - and I know how to apply water based gloss. Also not very tough, marks and chips out of my banister within 6 months.

Armstead Water Based Gloss: Great, did what it said on the tin. Solid finish, seems hard to find nowadays though.

Bedec Water Based Gloss and Undercoat - Very hard to apply, low workability on the paint. Seems to skin over quicker than you can apply it. Great finish, no brush marks, stays white and very hard wearing. Just be prepared for a workout and some stressful moments.

Johnstones Aqua Gloss and Undercoat - This is the best I have found. It technically is an Alkyd, which is an oil but classed as a "hybrid" paint, as is the Dulux. Make sure you use their undercoat, it gives a nice solid, flat chalky base. The gloss goes on so smoothly. It will gradually yellow over years but not as drastic as the dulux stuff, this is my number 1 choice.

Associate
Didn’t like Johnstone’s or Leyland myself, Dulux yellows within 6 months, they’ve ruined it. Crown worked well for me, it yellowed a bit 2 years on though, I’m going to try Zinseer next week, good reviews on screwfix

Last edited:
Soldato
Dulux Trade High Gloss White is a very good durable gloss if used with their same trade undercoat but it's oil based and stinks to high heaven when applying but it sets so glossy and solid it's worth it.

Man of Honour
In my experience pretty much every gloss/satin yellows now or if it doesn't is really hard to get any kind of decent finish - even the ones I've seen recommended as not doing it on other forums. Last lot of redecorating I did before moving I used non-white for woodwork, etc. instead to avoid it showing the same way.

Where I've moved to they redecorated less than a year ago and all the skirting in my bedroom is yellowed :(

Associate
In my experience pretty much every gloss/satin yellows now or if it doesn't is really hard to get any kind of decent finish - even the ones I've seen recommended as not doing it on other forums. Last lot of redecorating I did before moving I used non-white for woodwork, etc. instead to avoid it showing the same way.

Where I've moved to they redecorated less than a year ago and all the skirting in my bedroom is yellowed :(
If there is one thing I detest painting it’s skirting boards, that and spindles on banisters. We replaced our banisters a couple of years ago for glass and brushed steel, one of the best things we’ve done.

Back
Top Bottom