pushed up my 3700sd a bit

Soldato
TaKeN said:
Holy cow man, you tested it with some heavy usage yet...

If that thing stays stable on stock volts, then you have a nice chip there :cool:
you have such a nice way of saying things TaKeN, but I think you knew it wasn't stable but kindly gave the fella a little pat on the back just in case :)

Me I just wanna see good results, but some people just don't understand how to overclock properly these days (and test the overclock) it seems all they want is to say "yeah mate running smooth massive overclock stock volts!" and sit there waiting for a load of praise!

That's not helping anyone?

Soldato
TaKeN said:
So you brag about it..
Yeah that's what is happening again and again and again!

This is a technical forum and it seems people are posting stuff more for braggin rights than to share useful information. What use is that to Fred Bloggs who is lurking and wants some good user information on something he is thinking of buying?

a lot of posts appear to be more about how great the person is instead of what the hardware is actually capable of. . . .wtf?

Soldato
I didnt mean it like that lol..

I just want peoples opinion on things :)

Like look at my overclock ,

Is it good ?

Is it better than most peoples clock on the particular chip ?

Soldato
TaKeN said:
Is it good ?

Is it better than most peoples clock on the particular chip ?
Overclocking is easy, overclocking successfully isn't.

A successful overclock in my book is getting a chip to do everything it does at stock, just faster! (no crashing, no disadvantages, just a free speed boost with no unwanted side effects, apart from maybe a little temp rise etc).

For those overclockers that can do this (and post clear proof) They have my maximum respect. It shows they have a good technical understanding, and have taken the time to test properly and then bother to actually share that info with us, faceless members of the overclocking community, and its appreciated very much indeed!

Associate
Big.Wayne said:
Overclocking is easy, overclocking successfully isn't.

A successful overclock in my book is getting a chip to do everything it does at stock, just faster! (no crashing, no disadvantages, just a free speed boost with no unwanted side effects, apart from maybe a little temp rise etc).

For those overclockers that can do this (and post clear proof) They have my maximum respect. It shows they have a good technical understanding, and have taken the time to test properly and then bother to actually share that info with us, faceless members of the overclocking community, and its appreciated very much indeed!

Well said Wayne,

Soldato
I don't know why some people seem to get so worked up about this, its not as if the OP posted "I owned you all!" or "check me out I rule!" and getting a handfull of posts in and calling him half baked is hardly pleasant is it :(

Everyone has to start somewhere and if I'm not mistaken this is overclockers.co.uk not overclockersbutonlyifitsprimestablefor24hours.co.uk, I don't think any of us have the right to say what is and isn't postworthy on a forum where we're all guests.

I thought the OP showed humilty when it wasn't stable rather than keeping it to himself, he asked for advice on voltages, got it and used it etc etc. I think for the "lurker" thinking about buying and clocking one of these this would be a pretty useful guide on the subleties of overclocking.

For what its worth I have my doubts about prime anyway, my x2 at 3ghz under my vapo fails prime in 45 minutes but will happily loop twin 32mb superpi runs etc etc run cpustabilitytest.. can't remember the last time I needed a really really big prime number anyway so I reckon I can live without it.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks matt, my thoughts exactly. You know its an up and down world this clocking bussiness. All chips no matter what their stepping have their own limits, need these volts or that fsb ect. Now im not a new tweaker, and I did ask for advice as I am a little unsure of this 3700, only had it a few days, I posted what went wrong so I hid nothing. What do some people want, do they want new people to think the forums have some kind of elite members who never have a blue screen or a failed bench. That would be misleading, you have to show warts and all so others can learn from your mistakes, and the advice given by contributers that helped them out. I don't see my first results as a failiure, superpi and all my games ran no problems. Just fell down with prime. I just fished for advice as I wan't my system stable. And the kudos go's to those who helped me out and pushed me in the right direction. Its not a look at my massive clock thread, its a look I just did the run of the mill 3700 clock thread, and I need a few pointers to get it just right.

Last edited:
Associate
matt100 said:
For what its worth I have my doubts about prime anyway, my x2 at 3ghz under my vapo fails prime in 45 minutes but will happily loop twin 32mb superpi runs etc etc run cpustabilitytest.

o/\o

Has to be said that I have my doubts about Prime, and I am by far a very n00ber when it comes to overclocking. I've ran memtest for 12 hours solid with no problems, S&M (max settings) without a hitch and Superpi 32m runs again with no problems. I've had ONE 24 hour run on Prime. Can I get it to do it again?

pffft.

Nothing's changed about my system either. It just won't give me solid results. First it's 4 hours, then 7 and even nine. one one occasion I got 45 minutes. This is all after the 24 hour run and I haven't changed a single thing.

I think that the one valuable lesson that I can take away from Prime95 is that it means nothing to me and my application of my PC. I can play games on it just fine, surf the intawebb0r, do email and watch random pr0n wihout a crash. I also leave my system running 24/7.

I appreciate that some people much prefer to have a solid repeatable Prime run, but I think that to Joe Bloggs, it could very well turn into a rod with which to beat himself up with.

There you go, that'll be £0.10 please.

Soldato
Prime95 stability also depends (a lot) on the CPU temp, if you did a 24 hour run with the CPU at say 40C the next time it might fail when you run it a t 44C PCU temp.

The problem with people posting the overclock without testing it is that people will think a SD 3700+ can run stable at 2800Mhz stock volts when it can't.

If I set my SD3700+ to 2750Mhz and use 1.50V it's prime95 stable, if I use 1.475V I can boot and play games but Prime95 will fail after a while, if I use 1.45V I can boot but get instability in most things, if I use 1.425V I get a BSOD when booting (BSOD's are not just memory related)

So if someone posts saying he clocked his A64 to 2800Mhz at stock volts I know enough.

Back
Top Bottom