1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pushing and pulling

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by sybaris, 25 Jun 2010.

1. sybaris

Hitman

can someone explain a push/pull set up?
    Im looking at getting a corsair h50
    I understand i need to place a fan behind or infront of the rad, but where do I get screws that long?

2. diverse180

Wise Guy

This explains all you need to know:

http://blog.corsair.com/?p=987

In short though, you place a fan on each side of the radiator (both facing in the same direction, either as intake or exhaust).

The H50 comes with one set of long screws, but you need to find yourself another set to add a second fan for a push / pull config.

Hope that helps :)

3. Stupot_

Mobster

You can also just use two screws on each fan, diagonally. It's secure enough.

4. FiCtioN75

Gangster

ive done this with my H50 and mines secure enough with 2 on either side

5. sybaris

Hitman

Did you find that it made a significant difference by adding the additional fans?

6. Andy_H

Associate

It shows some results on the corsair website link above comparing one fan to two. I've also seen posts on here recommending changing from the stock corsair fan to achieve lower temps.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18120146 for information about where to get screws from.

Also, the changing the type of thermal compound you're using makes a big difference (possibly more than the effect of adding another fan).

7. HighlandeR

Capodecina

I still dunno why we cant have one of those pumps and a pipe going to a giant radiator with a 200mm fans exchausting it from the top or side :)

Would that not give amazing temps ;)

8. xiphrex

Wise Guy

Ive just added another fan to my H50.

Its lowered idle temps by at least 5C and load temps by about 6C.

Noise is minimal because Im using a PWM fan splitter and connected both fans to it!

I could probably improve the setup by using the same type of fan. Currently using a viper to push air and an apache to pull. The apache is slower on load so might be limiting the airflow.

But I would need to really justify spending another 12 quid on another viper!

9. Andy_H

Associate

10. xiphrex

Wise Guy

11. Andy_H

Associate

Excellent :D Added one to my i7 build order along with two apaches for the H50