Pyrolitic ovens and home made pizzas

Man of Honour
Wouldn’t work, this is in my Traeger so pellet fed rather than adding smoke to other fuel!

I've read about people using a cold smoker box inside their pellet smoker to add additional smoke. I tried it once and it sort of worked. Well, it worked fine, just was a faff.

Much easier to just use regular pellets in your case - though if you decide your food needs more smoke it's something to consider.

Soldato
I've read about people using a cold smoker box inside their pellet smoker to add additional smoke. I tried it once and it sort of worked. Well, it worked fine, just was a faff.

Much easier to just use regular pellets in your case - though if you decide your food needs more smoke it's something to consider.

I’ve seen similar, smoke tubes - I’ve found at 225 I get plenty of smoke in the food esp with different pellets (Apple to start) that are a mix of woods!

Associate
Ressurecting an old thread .. I am a bit of a pizza nut having been searching for decades on how to make a great pizza. To the extent of owning an Ooni, an outdoor brick pizza oven, a Green Egg with cordierite stone (regular stones just can't stand the heat), a catering pizza oven, and finally a pizza steel. Oh, and also a pyrolytic oven.

I've often considered defeating the lock on the oven (which heats to 500c on the pyro setting) and contrary to the earlier poster's view, I am sure this would work just fine and not be too dangerous other than to be very careful when opening the door that you don't get a blast of heat in your face. The pyro setting only uses top and bottom heat - there's none of that cycling around elements he dreamed up - and it stays at a constant 500c for about an hour so would work fine. (And they are all the same because all the manufacturers sub license it from Dr Dietrich who invented it and own the patent). But it does seem a bit extreme. And would take the chrome off your oven shelves!

The catering pizza oven is s decent alternative. You can get one for a couple of hundred quid and many will do 400c - which unless you are an aficionado from Naples - is more than enough.

But honestly I have also had great results from a pizza steel and my normal oven on 300c. Just make sure you leave a good 10 minute gap between pizzas for the steel to recover it's lost heat.

Last edited:
Associate
Just to let anyone interested know it is perfectly possible to use the pyrolytic cleaning cycle of an oven for Pizza at 450c as I did it for some years. The lock was defeated with some filing and a piece of folded foil to prevent it moving into place. You obviously need to be very careful with the heat. You need a thick pizza stone (consider fibrament or similar) and the pizza isn't quite as good as wood fired oven, but not far off. I actually found the cleaning cycle more consistent with regard to temperature than WFO!

Caporegime
Ressurecting an old thread .. I am a bit of a pizza nut having been searching for decades on how to make a great pizza. To the extent of owning an Ooni, an outdoor brick pizza oven, a Green Egg with cordierite stone (regular stones just can't stand the heat), a catering pizza oven, and finally a pizza steel. Oh, and also a pyrolytic oven.

I've often considered defeating the lock on the oven (which heats to 500c on the pyro setting) and contrary to the earlier poster's view, I am sure this would work just fine and not be too dangerous other than to be very careful when opening the door that you don't get a blast of heat in your face. The pyro setting only uses top and bottom heat - there's none of that cycling around elements he dreamed up - and it stays at a constant 500c for about an hour so would work fine. (And they are all the same because all the manufacturers sub license it from Dr Dietrich who invented it and own the patent). But it does seem a bit extreme. And would take the chrome off your oven shelves!

The catering pizza oven is s decent alternative. You can get one for a couple of hundred quid and many will do 400c - which unless you are an aficionado from Naples - is more than enough.

But honestly I have also had great results from a pizza steel and my normal oven on 300c. Just make sure you leave a good 10 minute gap between pizzas for the steel to recover it's lost heat.

Why not just buy an indoor pizza oven? I imported a g3 ferrari from Italy was only a hundred quid or so.

I also own an ooni and its not as good but its much better than an oven

Associate
Why not just buy an indoor pizza oven? I imported a g3 ferrari from Italy was only a hundred quid or so.

I also own an ooni and its not as good but its much better than an oven

Sonny, you've just reminded me of the option to go down the route of an indoor option such as the G3 Ferrari. So you rate that better than an Ooni?

Caporegime
Sonny, you've just reminded me of the option to go down the route of an indoor option such as the G3 Ferrari. So you rate that better than an Ooni?

No chance.

Ooni is king. However you can't use an ooni inside.

The G3 Ferrari however is probably the best and cheapest option for decent pizza inside.

Be aware you can only cook raw fresh pizza dough on this. You cannot cook a frozen or fresh pizza from the supermarket the bottom of the base will burn black.

Fresh pizza dough only.

Associate
No chance.

Ooni is king. However you can't use an ooni inside.

The G3 Ferrari however is probably the best and cheapest option for decent pizza inside.

Be aware you can only cook raw fresh pizza dough on this. You cannot cook a frozen or fresh pizza from the supermarket the bottom of the base will burn black.

Fresh pizza dough only.

thanks mate, I’ll stick with the Ooni plans then :)

Back
Top Bottom