• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Q&A SESSION WITH JAMES PRIOR FROM AMD / OcUK STREAMED TOMORROW, ASK QUESTIONS!

Associate
Vega 56 and 64 competes with the 1070/ 1070ti/ 1080 generally in terms of price and performance, but the 1080ti is in a higher price/ performance bracket. Are there any plans for AMD to compete at the 1080ti (and future xx80ti) level?

Associate
Is there any truth to the rumour that Vega will need a refresh/respin to enable currently missing features such as primitive shaders and tile-based rasterization? i.e. not simply a matter of waiting for drivers for current Vega owners.

If there is a new spin on 14nm (or a refresh of Vega10 on 12nm), will it have HDMI 2.1 to enable 4:4:4, 4k, HDR10, at refresh rates north of 60Hz for TV users?

Does AMD's HDR implementation (freesync2), use HDR10 as its base protocol, and do you see this being upgraded to the new open standard HDR10+?

Last edited:
Soldato
Are AMD pleased to have stolen the mining crown back from Nvidia with Vega or do they see such things as a hinderance for their target consumer base?

Soldato
Do you expect any real answers? It will be all marketing bull and fobbing off with buzz words nobody is interested in. I will eat my hat if one single decent answer/fact is given.

Soldato
Do you expect any real answers? It will be all marketing bull and fobbing off with buzz words nobody is interested in. I will eat my hat if one single decent answer/fact is given.

Wait,wut?? He just confirmed what a few of us were asking about AM4 compatibility - it seems they are working towards making the 2019 CPUs compatible with current ones.

He also said they have two design teams,with one working on Zen 2 and another one working on pushing current Zen onto a "new GF process."

This has confirmed a Ryzen refresh is definitely now coming on an improved node.

Soldato
Wait,wut?? He just confirmed what a few of us were asking about AM4 compatibility - it seems they are working towards making the 2019 CPUs compatible with current ones.

He also said they have two design teams,with one working on Zen 2 and another one working on pushing current Zen onto a "new GF process."

This has confirmed a Ryzen refresh is definitely now coming on an improved node.

Wow.

Caporegime
The RX 480 was a good middle tier offering. It was 290X ish performance just as the 7850 was 6950 ish performance.

Previous high end pefrormance but better power consumption and value. I don't see why you'd expect any different.
So you're conveniently ignoring the fact that Fury/FuryX was actually the previous high end.

You're also ignoring the fact that the 290 and the 390 had offered the same perf at the same price for approx 2 years before the 480 released.

And you're concluding that the mid-range is healthy? Bonkers.

(Hint: R290 launch Nov 13. After 12 months was priced at £240 give or take. Was that price for 2 years. Later 390 was also ~£240. Thus before the 480 launched at £250-£300, the SAME perf was available at the SAME price for 2 full years.)

I'm a mid-range buyer. I know the mid-range market. It has stagnated horribly. People who defend the state of the mid-range are normally those with top-end GPUs who are protecting their "elite" status.

Soldato
I'm a mid-range buyer. I know the mid-range market. It has stagnated horribly. People who defend the state of the mid-range are normally those with top-end GPUs who are protecting their "elite" status.
100% spot on. No one seems to be interested in the mid range customer base. Cards that should be mid range are priced close to £300 and sometimes over it, that's about £100 more than they should be.

Soldato
So you're conveniently ignoring the fact that Fury/FuryX was actually the previous high end.

You're also ignoring the fact that the 290 and the 390 had offered the same perf at the same price for approx 2 years before the 480 released.

And you're concluding that the mid-range is healthy? Bonkers.

(Hint: R290 launch Nov 13. After 12 months was priced at £240 give or take. Was that price for 2 years. Later 390 was also ~£240. Thus before the 480 launched at £250-£300, the SAME perf was available at the SAME price for 2 full years.)

Just being salty because I called you out on talking rubbish.

290X was the high end and it launched at 400 ish.

480s started at 200 for the 4gb iirc.

That second number there will give you a clue as to where it sits in the product tiers.

Caporegime
Glad to see this and whilst he didn't know much about Vega (fair one), he took the time out to talk to OcUK and try and answer questions. He is also on the same thought train as me and thinks Batman would kick Ironmans butt :D

Soldato
Glad to see this and whilst he didn't know much about Vega (fair one), he took the time out to talk to OcUK and try and answer questions. He is also on the same thought train as me and thinks Batman would kick Ironmans butt :D
Nope ironman would do over batman easy, tony stark has more money for gadgets, in fact he has so much money he makes bruce Wayne look like a benefit street geezer

Back
Top Bottom