• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Q&A SESSION WITH JAMES PRIOR FROM AMD / OcUK STREAMED TOMORROW, ASK QUESTIONS!

Caporegime
Bold and capitalisation, just for me?

Its expected that a product will go down in cost during it's lifecycle. Only the launch prices are really comparable. You can pay less for ageing tech. that's not really a shocker is it.

It's a shame that mining has inflated prices and kept them high this time around though.

£200 for the 4gb 480 is about right. And those who grabbed them and flashed to get another 4gb for free got a real bargain.

Compare this to the £200 you quoted for the 380, which is going to be for the cheapo 2gb version.

The £250 for the 8gb is more inline price wise with the 4gb 380X.
We're not talking one product and one product life-cycle. Let me show you the big picture.

290 - Launch £320 -> £240 after some months (before EOL)
-Same perf as the:-
390 - Launch £300 -> £240 after some months (before EOL)
480 - Launch £250-£300 -> ~£250 today

All these cards have the SAME performance.

If you plot a graph of perf against time what do you see?

Perf FLAT-LINING. Cost jumping UP for each new product launch before settling at ~£240.

Tell me you don't see the same picture for perf/time? These are just FACTS.

Soldato
We're not talking one product and one product life-cycle. Let me show you the big picture.

Perf FLAT-LINING. Cost jumping UP for each new product launch before settling at ~£240.

You're just agreeing with what I said - this gen's 8 is the same performance as the previous gen high end 9.

480 is comparable with the 290X, which was £400 ish on launch.
If we're comparing apples to apples, 4gb vs 4gb models it's half the price.

looking it up, the 290X rrp was $549, so the exchange rate must have been much better then.

Sounds about right to me. Should have just read my first post.

Soldato

The RX480 4Gb was £170 at launch and slightly faster than an R9 290.

Soldato
Oi, if you arguing over prices use dollars. Nobody cares about piddling little sterling and the uk went through a few ups and downs recently if you havent been watching the news. Sterling might even rise a bit in future, fingers crossed
Bit more accuracy for power: price ratio if put in dollars

Is there a You-tube link to this Q & A video please, It's not showing up on the Overclockers UK channel. If not where is it ? (Other than Videocardz), Where has OCUK put it?

hidden in plain sight, ocuk so sneaky

Man of Honour
Common sense - the only advantage HBM2 has, that AMD chose to exploit, was power consumption.

Do you need a scientist to tell you that the Sun is very far away too? :rolleyes:

Common sense is a very dangerous and inaccurate thing, it lead people to think for a long time the earth was totally flat and not curved.

As to the distance of the Sun, yes we do need a scientist to say how far away it is, for all I know it could be 1 mile away and much smaller than it really is.

Permabanned
Common sense is a very dangerous and inaccurate thing, it lead people to think for a long time the earth was totally flat and not curved.

As to the distance of the Sun, yes we do need a scientist to say how far away it is, for all I know it could be 1 mile away and much smaller than it really is.

A bit of trivia for you, On the night of December 3rd 2017 which is tomorrow we'll have 2017's only super moon which is when the moon is both full and at it's closest point to earth so remember to go out if it's a clear night and see the moon in all it's glory.

Caporegime
You're just agreeing with what I said - this gen's 8 is the same performance as the previous gen high end 9.

480 is comparable with the 290X, which was £400 ish on launch.
If we're comparing apples to apples, 4gb vs 4gb models it's half the price.

looking it up, the 290X rrp was $549, so the exchange rate must have been much better then.

Sounds about right to me. Should have just read my first post.
So you're basically saying that it's OK that for the last 3 years, RX 480 perf has cost ~£250. Sure the name has changed, and it's gone from the "9" tier to the "8" tier. But the price and the perf has stayed the same, so what it's called matters little.

Also I have no recollection of the 480 4GB being less than £200 at launch. Certainly not £170. IIRC the Sapphire 4GB was the only one <£200, and the 8GB variants started at £250.

If there was a 4GB variant for sale at £170 at launch it must have been for a couple hours only. Like the discounted "launch prices" for the Vega 56/64. Which amounts to little more than a PR trick, because the stock at those prices is very, very limited (like 20 cards).

Permabanned
Why was Raja fired?

Really?

Where've you been for the last 12 months? It's been a year where subterfuge and smoke were used by Raja to avoid giving any real Vega info, It lost them both consumer trust and reviewers trust after they neglected to give the true product prices so reviews would favour Vega. Raja even had the gall to send Linus the twit on stage at release with a very (there was only 1) limited edition boxset and focus on the item that had nothing to do with Vega, The whole thing has been a travesty and the only way it could have gotten any worse would be by letting Raja keep his job.

Soldato
No chance :D
Just thought of a great poll for the general thread, who is the best batman and a list of all the actors.
Adam west would get my vote, the only one who could pull a can of anti shark bat repellent spray from his utility belt and keep a straight face with a great white hanging off his leg

Soldato
So you're basically saying that it's OK that for the last 3 years, RX 480 perf has cost ~£250. Sure the name has changed, and it's gone from the "9" tier to the "8" tier. But the price and the perf has stayed the same, so what it's called matters little.

Also I have no recollection of the 480 4GB being less than £200 at launch. Certainly not £170. IIRC the Sapphire 4GB was the only one <£200, and the 8GB variants started at £250.

If there was a 4GB variant for sale at £170 at launch it must have been for a couple hours only. Like the discounted "launch prices" for the Vega 56/64. Which amounts to little more than a PR trick, because the stock at those prices is very, very limited (like 20 cards).

Here's the stats:

290X October 2013 - $549 rrp. 5.6 tflops

RX 480 - June 2016 - $199 (4 GB) $239 (8 GB) - 5.78 tflops

If you don't think that's acceptable, that's fine. I'll just keep my own expectations realistic.

Caporegime
Here's the stats:

290X October 2013 - $549 rrp. 5.6 tflops

RX 480 - June 2016 - $199 (4 GB) $239 (8 GB) - 5.78 tflops

If you don't think that's acceptable, that's fine. I'll just keep my own expectations realistic.
In terms of gaming perf, 290/390 are most similar to the 480.

Anyhow, will you deny that the 290 (and later the 390) were available at £250 for at least 2 full years before the 480 launched at £250 to £300? Remember the 290 had some pretty big price cuts soon after launch.

Just answer that question if you dare.

Caporegime
Hawaii, damn epic architecture and still going strong :cool:

I really miss that ATi/AMD :(
You know what peeves me off (apart from everything :p)

I kept looking at the 290 (later the 390) and thinking, "next gen AMD will gives us that perf in a much cheaper card; I'll buy then."

Of course Fury came and went, and that wasn't it. The 300 series were just re-brands.

Then the 400 series came and we were all disappointed as to how still nothing had moved on. 290 perf still cost £250 as it had for 2 years already.

AMD is losing money because of this. I would have upgraded probably twice since 2013, and I would have bought 2x £150-£180 cards. So AMD could have had about £320 of my money.

Instead they get nothing because it's like we're still in 2014. The 290/480/580 is still £250, and what's worse the card above it is now £500...

In 3 years tbh the old ATI would have given us first a £180 290 then a £180 better-than-290.

In other words, the 570 should now be offering better-than-290 perf for about £180.

What have these last 3 years got us from AMD/RTG? A whole bunch of stagnation.

Caporegime

Yes I know where you're coming from, but AMD seem only to be following nVidia's lead in that respect. They just haven't got the talent/R&D budget to have a truly breakout product like the 290/X anymore and that's really sad. They should stick to mid-range where they can possibly do some good (where the volume is) and consoles imo, then they may *actually* make some money which is better for everyone all round.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
You know what peeves me off (apart from everything :p)

I kept looking at the 290 (later the 390) and thinking, "next gen AMD will gives us that perf in a much cheaper card; I'll buy then."

Of course Fury came and went, and that wasn't it. The 300 series were just re-brands.

Then the 400 series came and we were all disappointed as to how still nothing had moved on. 290 perf still cost £250 as it had for 2 years already.

AMD is losing money because of this. I would have upgraded probably twice since 2013, and I would have bought 2x £150-£180 cards. So AMD could have had about £320 of my money.

Instead they get nothing because it's like we're still in 2014. The 290/480/580 is still £250, and what's worse the card above it is now £500...

In 3 years tbh the old ATI would have given us first a £180 290 then a £180 better-than-290.

In other words, the 570 should now be offering better-than-290 perf for about £180.

And Nvidia did the same thing, but in a different way!

With the 9 series for example, when it was replaced by the 10 series, their replacements, whilst performed better, cost a lot more.

I.e. a 970 cost about £270, the 1060 offered about the same performance - for about the same price

the actual 970 replacement - the 1070 cost about £100 more.

Although the majority of that difference was down to our crappy £/$ rate :(

Safe to say it has killed off my enthusiasm for PC hardware to the point I've given up and concentrated more on consoles now.

I won't truly give up on PC hardware as I enjoy reading about new technologies etc, but the days of me going on to buy the parts is over, unless exchange rates suddenly pick up to pre brexit rates

Back
Top Bottom