1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Q8400 vs E7500

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by throdgrain, 6 Mar 2010.

1. throdgrain

Gangster

A question, which is the better buy of these two cpus? The price difference is marginal, so dont let that effect matters TOO much. My motherboard can take either of them apparently. I see the E7500 "only" has a 3mb cache, but my E6600 has a 4mb ( I think! ). Whats that all about? :)

My E6600 is giving me jip and I feel like an upgrade, what are peoples opinions?

Thank you!

2. OpenToSuggestions

Capodecina

Cache makes no difference that you can notice (like 1-2%).

If you are getting a new cpu in 2010, I would say get a 4 threaded cpu and as core 2 duo dual core does not have HT then get the quad.

3. easyrider

Caporegime

In what way is it giving you gip?

4. throdgrain

Gangster

I overclock it, it runs hot and noisy, at stock it's quiet and cool, but kind of slow :(

I was considering another that might run at a similar speed but quieter, and cooler. Not completely decided yet, I've had my current mobo/cpu for three years, yet when I look at specifications of current cpus they dont look much different, which of course is probably because I dont know enough about it I expect :)

5. easyrider

Caporegime

Get a better cooler then it will run cool overclocked without to much noise.

6. throdgrain

Gangster

Well... what I thought about doing was replacing it with either a Q8400 or an E7500, hence the thread :p

7. easyrider

Caporegime

The quad will be limited for that mobo( check the site that the cpu is even supported)

and the 7500 is hardly and upgrade from the chip you already have.

8. throdgrain

Gangster

I checked, they are both supported with the latest bios, which I have.

9. vian_siu

Wise Guy

get a better cooler...its usually not worth upgrading to a cpu on the same socket. e6600 should be able to oc to about 3.3ghz which is more than enough

10. throdgrain

Gangster

OK, the point has been made, stay with the overclock and get a new mobo/cpu bundle later :)