1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qi - US Prison population.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trent, 7 Mar 2010.

1. trent

PermaBanned

I Love QI its such a awesome show and ive just seen this clip and i find it absolutely staggering.

The 3 strike rules seems like a terrible idea , you would think that common sense would be applied to the rulings like the examples given in the clip.

2. Viper²

Sgarrista

Common sense works both ways. Why would you steal something as worthless as cookies 4 times knowing you could get a life sentence?

Btw, this will probably get movied to the YouTube thread like every OP with a video does. :confused:

3. Tefal

Capo Crimine

I would be ****ed if i was the troops knowing that every helmet and body armour set had been made by unskilled prisoners :/

Especially by prisoners so dumb that when told the next crime they commit will lead to an automatic 25 year sentence get caught stealing cookies from a store.

4. Tefal

Capo Crimine

No it's not that he stole a cookie 4 times, he committed 2 very serious crimes (they have to be serious/violent to count) then it's the 3rd crime that can be anything.

If you get caught shoplifting $10 worth of food 20 times in a row you arn't going to get life unless it was a gun point each time :p

5. Viper²

Sgarrista

Oh ok. lol :p

6. trent

PermaBanned

I'm guessing though that they still serve prison sentences for the first 2 crimes? So that debt to society has been paid. And things like Burglary and smoking marijuana are counted in the 3 strike rule. This means you could be busted twice for smoking a joint and then steal a cookie and WHAM Life in prison.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2010
  7. trent

PermaBanned

I don't see why this would be put in the youtube thread. It is a discussion on the 3 strike rule in america with the source of the information in video form instead of text... Its hardly a dog chasing its tail kind of video.

8. Tefal

Capo Crimine

No, in America it has to be a violent crime.

Except in California where it can be just "serious" which with their weird laws on burglary can make for weird results.

9. trent

PermaBanned

Although its about california again lets not forget California by far is the most populated state in america with 11% of the population or 36million people. So its not asif this not going to affect alot of people.

10. philip2009

Wise Guy

There has been a massive, massive, increase in US prison numbers since the beginning of the 1980's -

[​IMG]

It's a 1998 article so the rate/100,000 is far lower than the current figure.

11. ac1d1ty

Wise Guy

There is something very suspicious about prisons, especially when it comes down to doing work which beneifts a select few....