1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quake 4 Problem

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by MeatLoaf, 13 Apr 2006.

1. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Despite several reinstalls of the game when i run it, it crashes back to desktop every time. No error messages or anything. Now i hadnt played it for a week or two and in that two weeks ive done some upgrades. I added a 2nd 7800GT, tho i did fire it up after id installed it to check the other card was working.

Yesterday, i changed my sound form an audigy2 to an X-fi fatal1ty. At the same time i hooked up a new monitor, an acer al1916w widescreen.

I think the problem lies in the fact that it was set to run at 1280x1024, a res that my monitor dosent support. Doom 3 was the same, but a reinstall fixed that. Now ive reinstalled Q4 and it still dosent work, even with the 1.04 patch applied.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. Phil99

Capodecina

I take it it crashes back to the desktop before it displays the menus etc?

Try uninstalling, deleting the Quake 4 directory in Progam Files (assuming one is left over) and then install Quake 4 again.

3. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Yeah just before it gets to the menu. Ive deleted the directory out of program files, but whe i reinstalled i put it on a different drive. It could be that it dosent like the drivers im using i suppose ( 84.25 )

4. Phil99

Capodecina

Do you still have the previous monitor to hand?

Worth trying that before messing around with drivers etc.

5. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

No it was a hire one so i returned it :(

6. Arcane

Mobster

Have you got the latest X-Fi drivers? Try installing those before you re-install Quake.

7. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Good pont, i will check to see if theres any updates.

EDIT : says im up to date

Last edited: 13 Apr 2006