Quest 2 Facebook leak - XR2 chipset, 6gb RAM, "almost 4k display"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I think a lot of people were saying this would NEVER have the XR2 :p

Very impressed now. I might buy one.

Has anyone tried bigscreen cinema on a VR headset? Wondered how good it was.

Soldato
OP
Has anyone tried bigscreen cinema on a VR headset? Wondered how good it was.

I've used virtual cinemas (mainly SkyboxVR) on multiple headsets, but funnily enough the Go was the best due to the lightness, lenses and sharpness of the screen. 3D movies look amazing in VR.

Soldato
OP
Looks like October, as that's when the new rules around Facebook logins for new devices come in. If it wasn't for the forced Facebook account I would be buying this on release. As it is I'm going to wait until the dust settles and we see how Facebook handle account issues for VR devices.

Soldato
Where does the £299 rumour come from? Could be the start of big things for VR if that's true.

There was an American retailer that prematurely listed it a week or so ago at 299 for 64gb and iirc 399 for the larger one (256?). I assume the price is being extrapolated from that.

If it's £299 I'd definately be buying one. Surely it can't be that cheap.

I think this is all to do with the enforced facebook accounts. Subsidised hardware to pull you into their data gathering clutches, and to some extent their store since most casual users will stick to mobile gaming, thus all money spent in the oculus store.

Soldato
OP
Lol just thinking that, I've only had mine for 6 months! Annoyingly, I spent £80 on prescription lenses that I am guessing won't work on the 2 :(

If I get one I'll be keeping the old Quest so that my wife can use it as a Beat Saber machine. Probably not worth selling, and I tend to give my old hardware away anyway.

The point about prescription lenses is a good one. The lenses are bigger, and they seem to be recessed, so existing lenses won't work. However I have a feeling that the recess is to protect the lenses from being scratched by glasses so it may be more glasses friendly, making prescription lenses a nice to have, but not essential.

Ironically, if it wasn't for this whole facebook login thing souring the deal, this could even be a good enough device to replace all my existing VR headsets - Go, Quest and Index (depending on how good Oculus Link is on it).

Certainly it'll make a much better media player than the Go and the Quest, and the only reason I keep the Go is to watch 3D movies. The index is a terrible device for watching media due to the lens glare.

Soldato
@VincentHanna We’ll find out more in 2 days at Facebook connect. Will be interesting to see what they have to show on link... in theory the XR2 is far more capable for video decoding so the stream can be significantly higher quality. It’s also lighter than quest which will go a long way towards fixing the comfort argument vs PCVR headsets.

Who knows, maybe they even have a wireless link option!

Given Connect is immininent I’d suggest waiting a couple of days to see what the full details are before deciding.

Personally I think the RiftS is dead, it was already the unloved stepchild to the Quest and the Quest 2 will sign its death warrant.

Caporegime
If I get one I'll be keeping the old Quest so that my wife can use it as a Beat Saber machine. Probably not worth selling, and I tend to give my old hardware away anyway.

The point about prescription lenses is a good one. The lenses are bigger, and they seem to be recessed, so existing lenses won't work. However I have a feeling that the recess is to protect the lenses from being scratched by glasses so it may be more glasses friendly, making prescription lenses a nice to have, but not essential.

Ironically, if it wasn't for this whole facebook login thing souring the deal, this could even be a good enough device to replace all my existing VR headsets - Go, Quest and Index (depending on how good Oculus Link is on it).

Certainly it'll make a much better media player than the Go and the Quest, and the only reason I keep the Go is to watch 3D movies. The index is a terrible device for watching media due to the lens glare.

I can get £276 for mine, so put in that order in case they drop their offer prices, and will drop it off at CEX tomorrow/Wednesday :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom