Quest 2 Facebook leak - XR2 chipset, 6gb RAM, "almost 4k display"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
Is it feasible to buy this headset, if your cheap with app purchases? Is there enough free stuff online to make it worth it for a curious onlooker?

There's a fair number of decent free apps: Rec Room, Mission ISS, VR Chat, and more, plus huge amounts that can be sideloaded including ports of Quake, Quake 2, Half Life and Return To Castle Wolfenstein.

But of course most of the action is in the paid apps.

Soldato
There's free stuff on PC as well. DCS is free to play (but added content is extra). There's a free racing sim too, forget what it's called. Free little games that are quite interesting like spellbound spire.

Soldato
Yeah, in link mode it’s literally just decoding a video stream - your pc is what runs the games.

I believe Carmack mentioned future plans of a more hybrid approach to help with latency, but all they are currently are future ideas. With the current and likely foreseeable future iterations of link, that’s all it is.

Caporegime
NO doubt it's been posted but got prompted to pre-order just now. https://www.oculus.com/quest-2

£299 for the 64Gb version & £399 for the 256GB version & has 1832 x 1920 pixels per eye.

They want £89 (!) for the Link cable. Highway Robbery! Lessons from Apple I suspect! Although a 5M USB-C cable is around £10-15 it is very steep. Says it's a Fibre Optic cable as well.

Soldato
It’s been covered before.

The link cable is expensive because in order to make a very thin and light 5m cable that could maintain full USB 3.2 bandwidth they went with an expensive fibre optic solution. It is indeed expensive but they aren’t overcharging for what it is, so it isn’t highway robbery. At most it’s a poor value proposition compared to cheaper usb cables.

If you don’t want to pay that much then any generic USB 3 cable will provide the same visual/audio experience, just not as thin/flexible/light. There are some 5m ones specifically designed for quest you can find for around the £30 mark that are both longer and more flexible than the standard usb 3.0 cables...

Associate
I'm kinda interested in VR (though I've got no idea if I'll actually like it - same as mechanical keyboards and ultrawide monitors, haha) ... partially because of things like Township Tale and I think the VR element might actually draw me into being social in a co-op or mmoy game again ... but when I eventually do build a decent computer I'll feel even more strapped for funds than I do now and so shelling out for something like a valve index will never happen even if stuff picks up again in the new year so is out unless I win the lotto (and I don't play so that'd be even harder to achieve, ha) ... things like this even if they don't have some of the technical excellence of an index are way more realistic and would at least let me find out how into VR I actually am at this point in technology ... buuuuut that facebook thing is such a no go, I don't use any social media (unless reddit counts and I've never posted a picture of myself or put my real name anywhere on it) ... and I've seen people say if you use a fake FB account then maybe you'll get locked out of your oculous stuff ... I guess you could make one, have no friends on it, and just set everything to mega-private, but it just feels like such a sketchy thing to make people do it sets off alarm bells in my head.

I mean unless you are hardcore privacy conscious a lot of your data is probably already being harvested. A fake account should do the job, can't see why Facebook would do anything about it.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I mean unless you are hardcore privacy conscious a lot of your data is probably already being harvested. A fake account should do the job, can't see why Facebook would do anything about it.
You don't even have to create a fake account. An account with your real name and minimal details (don't need a profile pic etc) to allow registration will do - real name, dob, region and an email address is all you need. If you enable the max privacy setting, you won't even turn up in a search, so no one will even know you have a fb account.

Honestly, people are making too much of it.

Soldato
OP
Honestly, people are making too much of it.

Unless you deleted a Facebook account a while ago... that seems to prevent you ever getting another one. Loads of reports of users trying to get a Facebook login again for Quest 2 but being insta-banned with no appeal possible because of this.

I really hope they sort out the various account issues, otherwise things are going to be interesting in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom