Quest 2 Facebook leak - XR2 chipset, 6gb RAM, "almost 4k display"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
There will be some "sale of goods act" head scratching going on come Oct.

Doesn't help that as soon any anyone says their Facebook was banned that the immediate reaction from a lot of people is 'stop being an idiot and you won't get banned'. There's a lot of ignorance how Facebook accounts really work. Heck, I didn't know until I started investigating the issues. I never heard of anyone creating a Steam, Microsoft, Origin, Uplay, PSN, Gog, etc. account and having it banned within a couple of minutes of creation. Twitter, yes, but that's a free social media platform, like Facebook is, but you don't tie your gaming hardware and purchases to a twitter account.

Soldato
Unless you deleted a Facebook account a while ago... that seems to prevent you ever getting another one. Loads of reports of users trying to get a Facebook login again for Quest 2 but being insta-banned with no appeal possible because of this.

I really hope they sort out the various account issues, otherwise things are going to be interesting in October.

are they using the same email address or a new one?
not sure how they could know you had an "old" account if you create everything from scratch, my IP address changes every time I reboot my router pretty much

Soldato
OP
are they using the same email address or a new one?
not sure how they could know you had an "old" account if you create everything from scratch, my IP address changes every time I reboot my router pretty much

They have some pretty complex 'anti bot' algorithms, and seem very good at flagging duplicate or fake accounts. The big issue right now is that they don't have the resources for manual verification, so if an account gets locked automatically then it's effectively a permanent suspension as they won't get around to viewing your evidence that you're a real person.

Soldato
They have some pretty complex 'anti bot' algorithms, and seem very good at flagging duplicate or fake accounts. The big issue right now is that they don't have the resources for manual verification, so if an account gets locked automatically then it's effectively a permanent suspension as they won't get around to viewing your evidence that you're a real person.

I know someone with 5 accounts, so they aren't THAT good.

Looking online it says "all new users" will need a Facebook account, but I already have an Oculus (rift) account, can I not still use that until 2023?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I know someone with 5 accounts, so they aren't THAT good.

Looking online it says "all new users" will need a Facebook account, but I already have an Oculus (rift) account, can I not still use that until 2023?

Facebook accounts are required to use the Quest 2, and from October all new users will need to use an Oculus account with any Oculus hardware. Existing Oculus account users can continue to use their existing accounts until January 2023, but will be unable to use any social features. Past 2023 Oculus have said they will try to keep your access to your content, but of course by then most stuff will be tied into Facebook anyway so I don't know how much will still keep working. Plus you'll probably be locked out of the store.

Soldato
Facebook accounts are required to use the Quest 2, and from October all new users will need to use an Oculus account with any Oculus hardware. Existing Oculus account users can continue to use their existing accounts until January 2023, but will be unable to use any social features. Past 2023 Oculus have said they will try to keep your access to your content, but of course by then most stuff will be tied into Facebook anyway so I don't know how much will still keep working. Plus you'll probably be locked out of the store.

I'm trying to find out if you need a Facebook account to use side quest, I'd really rather prefer to avoid the official store as much as possible.

But then about the only "app" I'm interested in is VirtualDesktop which you need to use side quest anyway.

Soldato
OP
I'm trying to find out if you need a Facebook account to use side quest, I'd really rather prefer to avoid the official store as much as possible.

But then about the only "app" I'm interested in is VirtualDesktop which you need to use side quest anyway.

Quest 2 requires you to log into the Oculus app on your phone with a Facebook account to setup and manage the headset. You can't turn on Oculus link without the headset being setup first through the phone app.

Soldato
Unless you deleted a Facebook account a while ago... that seems to prevent you ever getting another one. Loads of reports of users trying to get a Facebook login again for Quest 2 but being insta-banned with no appeal possible because of this.

I really hope they sort out the various account issues, otherwise things are going to be interesting in October.

How many stories are real though? Since the Oculus Quest 2 was announced I have been asking friends, family, nieces and nephews. All Heavy Facebook users. None of them know anybody who has ever been banned. They all know loads of people using fake photos and multiple accounts. And I also asked about deleting their profile. My niece said most of her friends have deleted their Facebook profile at least once and setup a new one a couple months later without issue.

Soldato
How many stories are real though? Since the Oculus Quest 2 was announced I have been asking friends, family, nieces and nephews. All Heavy Facebook users. None of them know anybody who has ever been banned. They all know loads of people using fake photos and multiple accounts. And I also asked about deleting their profile. My niece said most of her friends have deleted their Facebook profile at least once and setup a new one a couple months later without issue.

There's also the thousands of reddit users that aren't complaining about their accounts getting banned. My account is carrying on as normal, I pre-ordered, linked it to the oculus account.

Soldato
OP

I don't have reason to disbelieve most of the reports I've read, especially as evidence has been posted of email exchanges with Oculus. It seems like Facebook is really being strict with account signups right now due to the US election, and it's catching a lot of returning Facebook users out. It's ironic that Facebook have finally created something that makes ex-facebook users want to come back to them, and then immediately banning some of them.

Yes, for the vast majority it'll work fine, but I've never seen people complaining that their Oculus account was banned, and this problem will only get worse coming up to launch unless Facebook puts support and policies into place to address it. They won't address it if people don't highlight it and complain.

Soldato

Just in case you aren’t already aware you need to use both - you have to buy the virtual desktop app on the oculus store itself, then install the side loaded version to enable WiFi streaming. Without the purchase on the official store the side loaded version won’t work.

Soldato
OP
I'd chalk up the Quest 2 as a big accomplishment

It'll turn the VR market upside down. No-one can compete at that price point with those features. We really could do with some competition in the mobile VR space though as it's not healthy when a single company dominates any sector.

Associate
I was hoping for an announcement from Apple, I realise that it's expected that they'll enter with an AR product but it would still legitimise VR for the mass market.
Unless Sony do a hybrid PSVR 2 then I think Facebook have the market to themselves. To be fair to them, it's a market that they've largely built by themselves and to a large degree they deserve to reap the benefits of this. I'm sure they're still a long way from even breaking even on this VR venture.

Soldato
OP
I was hoping for an announcement from Apple, I realise that it's expected that they'll enter with an AR product but it would still legitimise VR for the mass market.
Unless Sony do a hybrid PSVR 2 then I think Facebook have the market to themselves. To be fair to them, it's a market that they've largely built by themselves and to a large degree they deserve to reap the benefits of this. I'm sure they're still a long way from even breaking even on this VR venture.

I think the biggest hope would be a wireless PSVR where the rendering is done on the PS5 with decent motion controllers. Any product Apple makes would probably be very good, but I can't see it being price competitive with the Quest 2.

Associate
You don't even have to create a fake account. An account with your real name and minimal details (don't need a profile pic etc) to allow registration will do - real name, dob, region and an email address is all you need. If you enable the max privacy setting, you won't even turn up in a search, so no one will even know you have a fb account.

Honestly, people are making too much of it.

It's more about Facebook themselves having the data. I personally don't care too much as my data is exposed already.

Soldato
It's more about Facebook themselves having the data. I personally don't care too much as my data is exposed already.

As someone who occasionally needs to verify identities, it's absolutely amazing just how much info can be found with even a few simple searches, even without using more advanced tools (and even those "advanced" tools tend to be easily accessible info etc). Someone can have their profile reasonable hidden in facebook, but if you can find their wife/best friend etc, you can soon find photos etc.

Anyone without a social media presence, fair enough, but if you've already got a facebook account, I really don't know what extra information you really think playing in VR is going to give away, unless you plan on using your headset for mature content, even then, Facebook aren't going to publish that to your friends!

Soldato
... I think Facebook have the market to themselves.

That's also my take on it and probably the reason they're pricing the quest 2 so low and pushing the Facebook account requirement.

They know they have the low-mid tier VR market pretty much totally to themselves at the moment. Given MS seems to have abandoned WMR, Sony is between console/PSVR generations and Apple seems more focused on AR they're likely right with their assumptions.

In fact most of the big players (Microsoft, Google, Apple) who could rival Facebook's AR/VR ambitions have been pretty quiet on the whole topic this past year. I'd be amazed if they weren't working on stuff behind closed doors given an AR/VR Headset's potential to be the tech that replaces the smartphone.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Some potentially good news regarding Facebook accounts on Quest - you may not need a 'full' account to use it.

From a post on Reddit:

I did a UX test with the FB/Oculus team today and asked about the requirement for FB accounts when setting up the Quest 2. You will not be required to link an existing FB account to the Quest. If you don't link your existing account, you will have the option to create a firewalled FB account for the sole purpose of using it on the Quest. They said they are doing this to unify their user management systems which makes sense. Managing one moderation and community team is easier than managing 2.

This seems to break the 'one account only, ever' rule, and allow you to use a separate Facebook account from any personal account, only for VR. It could also allow people who are banned from Facebook to use the Oculus platform.

This will solve most of my misgivings about foisting Facebook accounts on Oculus users. Fingers crossed it's true!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom