Quest 2 Facebook leak - XR2 chipset, 6gb RAM, "almost 4k display"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
As someone who is usually an OLED-whore, I think the black sacrifice is worth the clarity/SDE upgrade

Definitely! My experience of the Go (an LCD with awful black levels, but RGB stripe subpixels) Verses the Quest (OLED with great black levels but pentile subpixels) was that the Go was a far more pleasant movie watching experience due to the low SDE. Quest looked awful when watching movies because of SDE and colour fringing around the edges of objects, especially faces.

Really looking forward to watching some 3D movies on the Quest 2. In fact I might have to reconvert some at higher resolution, to do the Quest 2 justice.

Caporegime
As someone who is usually an OLED-whore, I think the black sacrifice is worth the clarity/SDE upgrade!

Damn, the difference even from the RIFT S is huge! I can't wait.

Definitely! My experience of the Go (an LCD with awful black levels, but RGB stripe subpixels) Verses the Quest (OLED with great black levels but pentile subpixels) was that the Go was a far more pleasant movie watching experience due to the low SDE. Quest looked awful when watching movies because of SDE and colour fringing around the edges of objects, especially faces.

Really looking forward to watching some 3D movies on the Quest 2. In fact I might have to reconvert some at higher resolution, to do the Quest 2 justice.

Any 3D movies you'd reccomend? Never actually liked any, but would like to try some with VR.

Soldato
As someone who is usually an OLED-whore, I think the black sacrifice is worth the clarity/SDE upgrade!

+1 some of the white on black title screens don't have the same contrast levels as the OLED panel on the OG Quest but it's a sacrifice I'd make for the improved resolution and lack of SDE.

Soldato
OP
Avatar is the best 3D movie experience.
Prometheus is not a brilliant film, but the 3D is really well done.
Any of the 3D Pixar movies.
Doctor Strange is the best of the Marvel 3D movies
Dredd is a must-see in VR, especially for the slow-mo sequences.
Ready Player One for the coolness of watching a movie about VR in VR
The Hobbit trilogy looks excellent in 3D, pity the films are bloated and over the top.
Rogue 1 is the best of the 3D Star Wars films.
Alita Battle Angel also is very good.

Soldato
The black vertical lines we see on the Quest 2 in places, I have my suspicions that something else is going on there. Large image in the spoilers, it shows the down the lense images from his rift s, quest, and quest 2. And also his rift s, g2 and index. The telling thing for me is we seem to see exactly the same vertical lines on the lower Rift S image, but not the top one, which makes me rather suspicious that it's his equipment causing this. In fairness, it's got to be tough to focus a macro lense just right to show a good picture on such close up images.

53idrn5cm6p51.jpg

Soldato
Avatar is the best 3D movie experience.
Prometheus is not a brilliant film, but the 3D is really well done.
Any of the 3D Pixar movies.
Doctor Strange is the best of the Marvel 3D movies
Dredd is a must-see in VR, especially for the slow-mo sequences.
Ready Player One for the coolness of watching a movie about VR in VR
The Hobbit trilogy looks excellent in 3D, pity the films are bloated and over the top.
Rogue 1 is the best of the 3D Star Wars films.
Alita Battle Angel also is very good.

good list!! thanks :)

Soldato

Quest 2 is looking pretty good right now. How good will it be when it gets the update to 90Hz and improved link performance? Oculus are really good at getting the best out of their hardware so I have no doubts that the image quality will improve.

Soldato
That's quite impressive visuals for the price. I'd like to see a comparison with the G2 now.

Also looking forward to a proper comparison myself.

In the mean time I stuck this together (Quest2 using beta link from Tyriel on left, G2 from an earlier video on right). Usual caveats about through the lens limitations and compressed images apply!

LrvYHxX.jpg

Soldato
Really looking forward to this coming. The wait feels like AGES though. I find it dead wierd watching videos about VR and Quest 2 as I've got no point of reference for what it's like!

Soldato
Also looking forward to a proper comparison myself.

In the mean time I stuck this together (Quest2 using beta link from Tyriel on left, G2 from an earlier video on right). Usual caveats about through the lens limitations and compressed images apply!

LrvYHxX.jpg

What strikes me with these images is that clearly the G2 is a little sharper up close, i.e the text on the steering wheel and the reflections on the bonnet look better. But move away beyond the car, for example looking at the grandstand to the right, and there is very little difference that I can see between them.

In some ways this is disappointing because distance sharpness is important to me. If I look through my patio window right now at a brick wall about 10m away, it is pin point sharp against a blue sky background (I have my contact lenses in). Both of those images, when looking at distance, look ever so slightly like vision correction is needed. I don't know how many here wear glasses or contact lenses, but its the same kind of effect that you get when trying to look at something far away without them on.

Soldato
Really looking forward to this coming. The wait feels like AGES though. I find it dead wierd watching videos about VR and Quest 2 as I've got no point of reference for what it's like!

If you've never even put a VR headset on you're in for a real treat, the videos don't do it justice at all. I couldn't stop smiling the first time I tried it and the sensation of seeing your own free floating hands in VR was really really strange!

Soldato
If you've never even put a VR headset on you're in for a real treat, the videos don't do it justice at all. I couldn't stop smiling the first time I tried it and the sensation of seeing your own free floating hands in VR was really really strange!

Never even tried it, let alone owned my own headset. Really looking forward to seeing what it's like.

Soldato
OP
What strikes me with these images is that clearly the G2 is a little sharper up close, i.e the text on the steering wheel and the reflections on the bonnet look better. But move away beyond the car, for example looking at the grandstand to the right, and there is very little difference that I can see between them.

In some ways this is disappointing because distance sharpness is important to me. If I look through my patio window right now at a brick wall about 10m away, it is pin point sharp against a blue sky background (I have my contact lenses in). Both of those images, when looking at distance, look ever so slightly like vision correction is needed. I don't know how many here wear glasses or contact lenses, but its the same kind of effect that you get when trying to look at something far away without them on.

We don't know what detail levels were set there, so there could be some blurring effects on. But you're right, with sim racing it's always the distance that's the issue as you need to be able to see corners and markers coming up. That was my biggest issue when using the CV1 for racing - it was only borderline usable due to the SDE and low resolution. The index is far better, but the extra resolution is taxing my 1080ti so I can't run sims at a decent framerate. Waiting until I can get a 3080.

Soldato

I think a significant part of this is just due to the limitations of through the lens footage... the lenses are ultimately designed for your eyes, not a camera lens and sensor. There is also a lot of compression going on with YouTube videos and JPEG’s, which isn’t an issue for your eyeball.

From my own impressions of through the lens footage of headsets I actually have extensive hands on experience with, it almost always looks significantly worse in clarity and focus than when you are actually wearing the headset and can create some artefacts that don’t exist in reality, but conversely also tends to mask screen door effects and pixelation somewhat.

It is a useful tool to give a rough approximation by which to have some way to compare headsets that you can’t access yourself, but it is not all that useful as a direct and authoritative indication of what you can expect the experience to be like when actually using it.

Needless to say there are also other considerations than just the raw image too such as how well a given HMD fits your face, light leakage, comfort, range of IPD adjustment and so on and so on which will all effect the experience in various ways.

Last edited:
Soldato
It doesn't look all that much better then the Rift S to me. The colours aren't as vibrant but it's a little more crisp. For those with a Rift S I don't think the upgrade is worth it. If you are considering this I suggest bumping up the SS and I think it'll be pretty close in terms of clarity. For first time VR folk go for it.

Soldato
It doesn't look all that much better then the Rift S to me. The colours aren't as vibrant but it's a little more crisp. For those with a Rift S I don't think the upgrade is worth it. If you are considering this I suggest bumping up the SS and I think it'll be pretty close in terms of clarity. For first time VR folk go for it.

looks like a pretty big improvement to me... plus with the updated link it jumps to 90hz vs 80.

vkPhD80.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom