Quest 2 Facebook leak - XR2 chipset, 6gb RAM, "almost 4k display"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
11gb is taken up by the OS, so you only have 53gb free, but that's plenty for most games.

There are a few games with installs of several gb, but not many, though I imagine that will increase over time.

If you're not planning to put movies on it and use mainly for PCVR then I'd say 64gb is enough. I went for the 256gb mainly because I plan on putting movies on it, and with the hi-res screen I can now put higher quality encodes on there, which will take up large amounts of space.

I can imagine movies taking up a lot of space, but I can stream them from a dlna server if needed. I'll stick with the 64gb for now, thanks.

Soldato
I have exactly zero experience, but I imagine a little latency with large movements in VR will be much less noticeable than with mouse movements on flat games.

If anything VR is much more sensitive to input lag, it will make you feel sick real quick - thats why most headsets aim for 90hz refresh to minimise the lag as the Dev kits made people feel ill

Soldato
OP
I've played quite a few games using Quest Oculus Link and I never really noticed any lag. I even played Alyx via virtual desktop and it was perfectly playable, but the controller response wasn't as smooth as Link.

I imagine Beat Saber expert+ might be an issue, but for most gameplay Quest works fine as a PC headset.

I prefer my Index of course, but the Quest is less than half the price and the Quest 2 one third!

Man of Honour
If anything VR is much more sensitive to input lag, it will make you feel sick real quick - thats why most headsets aim for 90hz refresh to minimise the lag as the Dev kits made people feel ill
Isn't it more that jumpy fps makes you feel weird as opposed to just a consistent slightly choppy experience? At least the increased latency for link is consistent.

Associate
Anyone have any recommendations for the link cable for the Q2? I have a Gigabyte x570 aorus with no USB C ports on the rear, only a couple of USB 3.1 (red type).

I can either get a generic USB 3.1 to C link cable, genuine oculus fibre link cable with usb C to 3.1 converter or go the whole hog and buy a USB C PCIE card to install in the PC.

Soldato
No need for the PCIe card.

Surprised an X570 doesn't have any USBC - my gigabyte aorus master X570 has one from the motherboard and one header for the case.

Anyway, it's no biggy. If you search in the rain forest for quest link cables you'll find lots of nice flexible 5m A to C options for less than 30 quid.

Associate
No need for the PCIe card.

Surprised an X570 doesn't have any USBC - my gigabyte aorus master X570 has one from the motherboard and one header for the case.

Anyway, it's no biggy. If you search in the rain forest for quest link cables you'll find lots of nice flexible 5m A to C options for less than 30 quid.

I have the elite version so no rear USB C port but it does have the header on the main board. My case does not have the option for USB C though (fractal design meshify C)

Soldato
You sure that cable is long enough? I would have thought you want the 5m ones.

Either route will work. In theory the USB C option to that single header should probably have better power delivery to keep the quest charged while in use and does give you the option to go with the official cable later if you wanted to without needing an extra adaptor.

Associate
You sure that cable is long enough? I would have thought you want the 5m ones.

Either route will work. In theory the USB C option to that single header should probably have better power delivery to keep the quest charged while in use and does give you the option to go with the official cable later if you wanted to without needing an extra adaptor.

Max third party cable length recommended is 3M and they approve of Anker brand.

https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/

Soldato
Yes because that's the USB spec for a passive cable...

However it is not hard to find 5m cables marketed towards the quest with good reviews that work fine and will be far less limiting than a 3m cable unless you plan on only playing seated games.

Caporegime
Can anyone remember when these were shipping? I got my order for my Nephew in straight away on 16th September but the Oculus store is pretty scant on details when you check your orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom