Quest 2 Virtual Desktop Performance Thread

Associate
I thought it might be a good idea to have a collection of settings and configurations to get the most out of Wireless VR. Suggested format plus my own results:

GPU/CPU: 2070 Super, 3700X
Router: ASUS RT-AC1200G+ (5GHz)
Network Setup: Router on desk 1Gbps ethernet to PC and Quest within 5 meters
VD Reported Speed: 866 Mbps
VD Streaming Settings: Quality - High, FPS - 90, Bitrate - 80, Sliced Encoding - On
VD Codec: Auto, seems to use H.264 in games.
Other Settings: n/a
Desktop Latency: 19ms
Game Latency:
- Half Life: Alyx: 33ms (https://i.imgur.com/IuSzjSh.jpg)
- Pavlov: 31ms

To get your latency in game you will need to alt-tab to the Virtual Desktop Streaming application whilst still in game, cover your hands over the lense so it continues to render.

Last edited:
Associate
Excellent Idea, I have a couple of questions, where does VD report the speed 866 (in your case)?

What FPS are you getting in Alyx (I can;t see that info if it is there) and is it smooth sand consistent?

I'll post up my results later, at present streaming Oculus content is fine but steam sucks balls.

OK I've seen elsewhere it's probably my streaming but rate that is too high, I of course pushed it to max but it needs to be around 70-80. I'll try that tonight and with luck it'll all be wonderful.

Last edited:
Soldato
GPU/CPU: 2070 Super, 3600X
Router: ASUS RT-AX55 (5GHz, wifi 6)
VD Reported Speed: 1200 Mbps
VD Streaming: VR graphics - Medium, VR Frame Rate 90, VR bitrate 65Mbs, Sliced Encoding on.
VD Settings: Environment - high, Frame Rate 90, Video/desktop bitrate 12Mbs
VD Codec: Auto, forget to check what it was using in games!! haha
Desktop Latency: 25ms
Game Latency:
- Half Life: Alyx: 33ms

Last edited:
Associate
GPU/CPU: RTX 2070, Xeon W-2155 @ 3.30GHz
Router: TP-Link Archer AX6000 (Wifi 6, 5Ghz)
VD Reported Speed: 1200 Mbps
VD Streaming Settings: Quality - High, FPS - 90, Bitrate - 60, Sliced Encoding - On
VD Codec: Auto, seems to use H.264 in games.
Desktop Latency: 22ms
Game Latency:
- No Man's Sky (Maxed Out Graphics): 27-30ms (higher in menus rather than playing, it seems)

I've tried to max out my Bitrate, but it seems to auto-select a point (in my case, 60). Not sure how this decision is made, as I could go much higher when I tried it yesterday. Maybe it fluctuates while playing?

UPDATE: Just tried No Man's Sky again and when I exited I had a VR bitrate of 101 and video bitrate of 30. Strange.

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess we should also say what in game graphic setting we are using?

And just for anyone interested, I am just after trying ALVR, it's a free wireless streaming option. It didn't work too well for me, a lot worse than Virtual desktop.

Associate
great thread idea

I've read a good bit of the discord thread, but still not entirely sure exactly what adds to the latency. But I think it's

quality setting
FPS
bit rate
point-to-point data transfer (i.e. data path from PC to quest2)

Game settings must obviously have an effect on the experience, but I don't think that would be reflected in the latency figure, i.e. VD latency would only reflect delays that happen after the game has rendered the screen....is that right ? The latency might be great but the game might run like treacle.

Its clear that a big contributor is the bit rate. If I stick that to the max, latency gets really silly, I've seen 140-160ms.
In terms of that, where is the latency actually generated. Is it the CPU or GPU that does the compression ? Will a better GPU allow a bigger bit rate to be used without increasing the latency ? Or is the compression done on the CPU ? If its CPU, you would think that given most current games don't use many cores, that there should be loads of grunt in the CPU to do the compression, although my understanding is that compression is the labour intensive side of the process.

One assumes the 150 max setting is one that the Quest2 side can handle without resulting in too much latency, the dev wouldn't allow a bit rate that meant the quest2 could NEVER give good latency regardless what sub-zero cooled PC you were using to drive it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
H.264 is definitely 10ms better than HEVC on my 2070 Super, can't comment on the quality yet though from what I read you are sacrificing visual quality here somewhat.

Getting 29-33ms with all games now. I managed to angle my headset so I could see my hand in real life with my hand in Pavlov and they were very much synced at this level of latency. I'm impressed.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Okay more playing around, enabling boost clocks on the Quest 2 (advanced settings in VD) enables you to really up the bitrate without sacrificing latency, I actually dropped from 33 to 27. Battery life will be impacted but with a battery pack that might not be a concern.

GPU/CPU: 2070 Super, 3700X
Router: ASUS RT-AC1200G+ (5GHz)
VD Streaming Settings: Quality - High, FPS - 90, Bitrate - 100, Sliced Encoding - On
VD Codec: H.264
Other Settings: Enabled 'Boost Clocks' in advance settings in VD.
Desktop Latency: 19ms
Game Latency:
- Half Life: Alyx: 27ms
- Pavlov: 27ms (https://i.imgur.com/JG9ePUJ.jpg)

Associate
Hi, im running virtual desktop but it just isnt working out how i want.
The micro stuttering is driving me nuts. Getting 30-40ms and im running it via Bt Whole home wifi, I have one disc direct in the router and pc, the other disc is about 12 meters away in the front room 1 meter to my vr space
Im quite prone to motion sickness so any stutter gives me issues.

Running a 980ti
6700k @4.7
16gb ram
Wondering about trying some powerline adapters, and maybe upgrading to a wifi 6 mesh when i can.

Im also going to try the boost clock thing tomorrow see if that helps.

Soldato
Hi, im running virtual desktop but it just isnt working out how i want.
The micro stuttering is driving me nuts. Getting 30-40ms and im running it via Bt Whole home wifi, I have one disc direct in the router and pc, the other disc is about 12 meters away in the front room 1 meter to my vr space
Im quite prone to motion sickness so any stutter gives me issues.

Running a 980ti
6700k @4.7
16gb ram
Wondering about trying some powerline adapters, and maybe upgrading to a wifi 6 mesh when i can.

Im also going to try the boost clock thing tomorrow see if that helps.

What game are you playing? or is it all games?

When it stutters, can you see what latency it is?

What settings are you using in Virtual desktop?

Associate
What game are you playing? or is it all games?

When it stutters, can you see what latency it is?

What settings are you using in Virtual desktop?
It's done it on any game really.
Can't see the problem as I'm in the other room. I let my daughter play and I watched the latency it was great when she played the lab 30ish. I've just played apex construct and it only did it when I tilted my head sideways from what I could tell. As for settings can't remember off the top of my head but played around and got it as good as I could.
I had a go at beat sabre in the pc room connected on the first disc and that seemed perfect 27ms abouts. I suspect its using the second disc and the wife and kids streaming affecting it.

Associate
GPU/CPU: 1070, i5 6600 non K @ 4.3
Router: Unifi AC AP PRO
Network Setup: PC -> Router -> AP. PC and Quest within 5 meters
VD Streaming Settings: Quality - High, FPS - 90, Bitrate - 91
VD Codec:
Other Settings:
n/a
Desktop Latency: 15ms
Game Latency: ~40-45ms

Game latency seems higher than most but feels fine and no stuttering.

Soldato
It's done it on any game really.
Can't see the problem as I'm in the other room. I let my daughter play and I watched the latency it was great when she played the lab 30ish. I've just played apex construct and it only did it when I tilted my head sideways from what I could tell. As for settings can't remember off the top of my head but played around and got it as good as I could.
I had a go at beat sabre in the pc room connected on the first disc and that seemed perfect 27ms abouts. I suspect its using the second disc and the wife and kids streaming affecting it.

The only reliable way to use Virtual desktop is in the same room as the Router with the Router connected directly to the PC and nothing else using the 5Ghz channel.

What you could try is to make sure the the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz networks haven't the same SSID. Then I would change the password of the 5Ghz SSID and make sure that the Quest is the only device that connects to it.

Associate
OP
GPU/CPU: 1070, i5 6600 non K @ 4.3
Router: Unifi AC AP PRO
Network Setup: PC -> Router -> AP. PC and Quest within 5 meters
VD Streaming Settings: Quality - High, FPS - 90, Bitrate - 91
VD Codec:
Other Settings:
n/a
Desktop Latency: 15ms
Game Latency: ~40-45ms

Game latency seems higher than most but feels fine and no stuttering.

As soon as your bitrate goes above 80 your latency starts to tank.

When I used Bitrate 80 I got 33ms, bumping it to 90 I got 41ms

If you enable boost clocks in the VD advanced settings bit you can actually run higher bitrate with lower latency. With this set I can run 100mbits at 27ms latency.

Soldato
GPU/CPU: RX480, 1700X
Router: Virgin Media Superhub3 (2.4GHz + 5GHz separated)
Network Setup: 1Gbps ethernet to PC and Quest on 5GHz wifi within 5 meters
VD Codec: Auto

Desktop:
Quality:
high; Framerate: 72 fps; Bitrate: 32 Mbps; Latency: 31ms
Quality: high; Framerate: 90 fps; Bitrate: 32 Mbps; Latency: 26ms
Quality: high; Framerate: 72 fps; Bitrate: 16 Mbps; Latency: 27ms
Quality: high; Framerate: 90 fps; Bitrate: 16 Mbps; Latency: 24ms

Seems that VD in desktop has lower latency at higher fps settings?

VR Streaming:
Game:
Dead Ground Arcade (on the menu screen)
Quality: high, framerate: 72 fps; Bitrate: 100 Mbps, Latency: 50ms
Quality: high, framerate: 72 fps; Bitrate: 60 Mbps, Latency: 52ms
Quality: medium, framerate: 72 fps; Bitrate: 100 Mbps, Latency: 43ms
Quality: medium, framerate: 72 fps; Bitrate: 60 Mbps, Latency: 40ms
Quality: low, framerate: 72 fps; Bitrate: 100 Mbps, Latency: 49ms
Quality: low, framerate: 72 fps; Bitrate: 60 Mbps, Latency: 43ms

My numbers are all over the place. Doesn't look like changing the bitrate or quality has a huge effect really - I wonder if I am limited by my GPU which is why Im not seeing much variation and some odd numbers.

Associate
OP
GPU/CPU: RX480, 1700X
Router: Virgin Media Superhub3 (2.4GHz + 5GHz separated)
Network Setup: 1Gbps ethernet to PC and Quest on 5GHz wifi within 5 meters
VD Codec: Auto

Desktop:
Quality:
high; Framerate: 72 fps; Bitrate: 32 Mbps; Latency: 31ms
Quality: high; Framerate: 90 fps; Bitrate: 32 Mbps; Latency: 26ms
Quality: high; Framerate: 72 fps; Bitrate: 16 Mbps; Latency: 27ms
Quality: high; Framerate: 90 fps; Bitrate: 16 Mbps; Latency: 24ms

Seems that VD in desktop has lower latency at higher fps settings?

VR Streaming:
Game:
Dead Ground Arcade (on the menu screen)
Quality: high, framerate: 72 fps; Bitrate: 100 Mbps, Latency: 50ms
Quality: high, framerate: 72 fps; Bitrate: 60 Mbps, Latency: 52ms
Quality: medium, framerate: 72 fps; Bitrate: 100 Mbps, Latency: 43ms
Quality: medium, framerate: 72 fps; Bitrate: 60 Mbps, Latency: 40ms
Quality: low, framerate: 72 fps; Bitrate: 100 Mbps, Latency: 49ms
Quality: low, framerate: 72 fps; Bitrate: 60 Mbps, Latency: 43ms

My numbers are all over the place. Doesn't look like changing the bitrate or quality has a huge effect really - I wonder if I am limited by my GPU which is why Im not seeing much variation and some odd numbers.

I think your GPU is probably the issue, here's the developers response to a similar question regarding a 580:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQues...ktop_latency_despite_excellent_pings/fmgfeis/

That said, please try turning on 'Boost Clocks' in the advanced settings - this should increase the decode speed massively and shaved 10ms+ off for me.

Associate
The only reliable way to use Virtual desktop is in the same room as the Router with the Router connected directly to the PC and nothing else using the 5Ghz channel.

What you could try is to make sure the the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz networks haven't the same SSID. Then I would change the password of the 5Ghz SSID and make sure that the Quest is the only device that connects to it.
That's my problem, you can't do anything like that on this mesh network. Hence wondering about powerline to give it a dedicated 5ghz signal. I've only seen a video in which it's recommended as of a way of it working.
Unfortunetly i haven't the space to vr next to the pc and therefore router. It's annoyingly close to working even I was a seasoned vr person I suspect I'd be okay.

Back
Top Bottom