Quest 2 Virtual Desktop Performance Thread

Soldato
The Honor router gives worse signal than my existing router unfortunately. Again it's fine when using the Quest in the same room, but down in my lounge it's pretty poor. I'll keep it though as it looks like it'll be a good dedicated solution for Virtual Desktop when I get wiring down to the lounge.

The Quest connected fine at 1200mps though, so it should give better results than a standard 5ghz router.

Well, it's a very cheap router for a reason. Not surprised your existing router works better from longer distances.

But, as you say, it will be great as a dedicated access point for Virtual desktop.

Associate
unknown.png

Ryzen 2600x - 16gb ram - rtx 2080 -
h.264 encoding - 90 mb bitrate - high resolution settings , sliced encoding . auto bitrate off
asus pce56 pcie card - 5ghz hotspot -

10-14 ms desktop - - 23 ms Vr

Soldato
Got the new 90hz update but it seems to break in virtual desktop. I can enable 80fps and its fine but as soon as i enable 90 my frame rate goes down to about 3.

Associate
I'm new to VD but not VR. I know there are lots of moving parts but came someone tell me what is a decent Mbps rate for ALyx? (I plated this game through on rift S and it seems a bi washed out but was excited at the promise of wireless)
I have 5G router Pc connected hard cabled at 1Gbig so 866mps showing in-app, I play about 1M from router so ideal conditions.
settings are on high and it shows latency of about 30ms dark blue bar of streaming bandwidth at 105 mbps and then a light blue bar ????? in Game it seems to be 100 mbps ish.
This seems really low to me give link is 150mbps and I have unlocked this to 500 using oculus tools.
Got rid of my Rift S to get this Quest 2 after reading about VD and this seems a little underwhelming I was expecting something in the region of a few hundred.
Thanks

Soldato
I'm new to VD but not VR. I know there are lots of moving parts but came someone tell me what is a decent Mbps rate for ALyx? (I plated this game through on rift S and it seems a bi washed out but was excited at the promise of wireless)
I have 5G router Pc connected hard cabled at 1Gbig so 866mps showing in-app, I play about 1M from router so ideal conditions.
settings are on high and it shows latency of about 30ms dark blue bar of streaming bandwidth at 105 mbps and then a light blue bar ????? in Game it seems to be 100 mbps ish.
This seems really low to me give link is 150mbps and I have unlocked this to 500 using oculus tools.
Got rid of my Rift S to get this Quest 2 after reading about VD and this seems a little underwhelming I was expecting something in the region of a few hundred.
Thanks

What GPU are you using?

Is that Latency in game or before you start the game in the desktop?

Associate
GPU/CPU: 2070/9400F
Router: Honor Router 3 - dedicated 5ghz to Quest
Network Setup: Router on desk 1Gbps ethernet to PC and Quest within 5 meters
VD Reported Speed: 1200 Mbps
VD Streaming Settings: Quality - High, FPS - 90, Bitrate - 80, Sliced Encoding - On
VD Codec: Auto
Other Settings: n/a
Desktop Latency: 22 ms
Game Latency:
- Half Life: Alyx: 30 ms

Associate
1.18 is out.

Main improvement is that you can enable a performance tab overlay, so you can see your latency. On that overlay,latency is also broke down into game /network / encode / decode, to help determine your bottleneck.

Soldato
The latest update is excellent. Fixes compatibility with games like Stormland, and the new performance overlay is very useful.

I tested this sitting on my bed one floor down from my router and had 866mbps, rock solid connection, and around 35ms game latency.

It looked way sharper than Link does at its default settings. Streaming speed was 80mbbps.

If only I could get this down in my lounge. I'll have to give it another go.

Soldato
The latest update is excellent. Fixes compatibility with games like Stormland, and the new performance overlay is very useful.

I tested this sitting on my bed one floor down from my router and had 866mbps, rock solid connection, and around 35ms game latency.

It looked way sharper than Link does at its default settings. Streaming speed was 80mbbps.

If only I could get this down in my lounge. I'll have to give it another go.

Performance overlay is an excellent addition, just what I wanted.

What games are you guys trying?

I tested half life Alyx. I am getting 36-40ms latency. The various latencies differ. But my network latency is 7-10ms. Gaming is 10 to 15ms. Encoding and decoding never go over 6ms.

You seem to be getting very good latency from a different room. My router is beside me.

Back
Top Bottom