Question about chainrings and crankset (road)

UEX

UEX

Associate
Ok so ive got a cheapo claude butler racer that the other day started dropping gears all over the place. I look down and my middle chainring is bent! So anyway long story short complete beggar to find the actual chainring so i take a flyer on a correctly toothed and proportioned SRAM 42T ring.

But im confused now on a few things being a noob to bikes.... the new chainring is quite flat which i was worried about and it sits basically flat against the 50T outer chainring. Thats wierd problem number one. Then though, and im clearly an idiot on this one, if looked at reassembling the original crankset with the bent 42T ring and its still basically fitting flush to the 50T... am i mental here? have i missed something silly/dont know something?

On the original crankset you can see the slightly sloped and well worn insides that obviously guide the chain down to the next ring, so i cant see that i have it on wrong in that sense. Both rings have Tabs to align with the crank arm, so that should be right, im stumped! If i assemble it with the 3rd 36T chainring there is clearly about 5mm from 42-36 but like 1mm from 50-42 (basically flush).

Im losing my mind on this one, ive literally rebuilt cars and this has me stumped lol

Please help.

For the record im picking up a nice much higher end carbon canondale on sat so this has now become a learning project of sorts!

UEX

UEX

Associate
OP
I'm an actual moron.

The 50t goes on the outside of the crank arm hub. The 42t goes on the inside. The splines of the hub gives the spacing.

Kill me now

Back
Top Bottom