question about cubase, vsti's and midi.

Associate
hey there. Got myself a copy of cubase sx version 2 build 4 along with a set of cakewalk dimension pro dvds with a huge library of Vsti's on em. i'm just curious is there a way to create midi files within cubase from scratch using these vsti's within cubase. i basically wanna make my own music without having to bother with real instruments. this seems to be the best way. my friend was using a really old copy of cakewalk to do this, in a sort of "sheet music/music score" kind of view. is such a feature in cubase SX? or do i need to get another program? can anyone reccommend any? thanks in advance.:)

ive been told sibelius might be worth a look. anybody know does it support VSTi's? can i export the stuff to cubase or sonar 7?

Last edited:
Soldato
Realistically you'll need a MIDI interface to send data to Cubase. If you were to import a MIDI file, you can edit this by double clicking and manipulating each of the notes, but to use this with your effects, you would have to load up a VST instrument and then set this to the output of that particular MIDI track to get the sounds you want. Chances are that you will be very limited in terms of VST instruments, as you probibly have just stand alone effects that are applied to a standard stereo track (i.e a guitar track), and cubase SX 2 doesnt have many included.

You would be best looking at a MIDI interface if you want to make this 1000x easier. It'll cost you a few quid (maybe £50) but gives you full control over Cubase and any other MIDI enabled programs (such as Reason, which may be perfect for you).

I'm a student engineer in sound production btw. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom