• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Question about pre-binned CPU's

Soldato
So recently I have been noticing more and more vendors offering "pre-binned" "de-lidded" and other wise cherry picked CPU's for sale.

This is great for those with big wallets but I don't really have the money for one of said CPU's. My question is, in looking for, finding and binning all these CPU's (lets assume 5-10% of CPU's tested make the grade). What happens with all the "fail" CPUs? Do they go out for sale? I assume they do. They aren't just going to throw them away.

Basically if I buy a stock CPU. Am I going to get one of the "rejects" and have a guaranteed poor overclocker? It's just worrying my slightly that as so many retailers are now binning their chips. I don't want to get a sucky chip just by buying a normal one and playing the silicone lottery as it was meant to be played.

Also the fact that you basically have to de-lid Intel CPU's to get proper overclocking is really annoying but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It is worrying as you think you are buying a new/sealed product but are probably ending up with something that has been taken out and used/tested by someone already.

Associate
Not necessarily.

A lot of systems are pre built, it's quite feasible for those systems to be stability tested and the better cpus kept aside for sale and average performing cpus kept In the prebuilt systems.

Soldato
OP
Not necessarily.

A lot of systems are pre built, it's quite feasible for those systems to be stability tested and the better cpus kept aside for sale and average performing cpus kept In the prebuilt systems.
Still sucks for those buying pre-built systems. I mean for every binned CPU sold. 10 "bad overclockers" are sold to people who are none the wiser.

Soldato
So recently I have been noticing more and more vendors offering "pre-binned" "de-lidded" and other wise cherry picked CPU's for sale.

This is great for those with big wallets but I don't really have the money for one of said CPU's. My question is, in looking for, finding and binning all these CPU's (lets assume 5-10% of CPU's tested make the grade). What happens with all the "fail" CPUs? Do they go out for sale? I assume they do. They aren't just going to throw them away.

Basically if I buy a stock CPU. Am I going to get one of the "rejects" and have a guaranteed poor overclocker? It's just worrying my slightly that as so many retailers are now binning their chips. I don't want to get a sucky chip just by buying a normal one and playing the silicone lottery as it was meant to be played.

Also the fact that you basically have to de-lid Intel CPU's to get proper overclocking is really annoying but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Do not buy tray CPUs. Buy retail-boxed. They cannot open the box without destroying the seal.
Also the failed CPUs going into pre-build boxes. However in this case 8700K, all of them are hitting 5Ghz-5.1. Except if you have some air cooler, under water and without the need to be delided it will work and hit the target
After that is silicon lottery but with good odds in this Intel node.

But given the trend atm, and there are many sheep around, is fleecing season. I doubt you will find 8700K retail box in stock to buy, for months. Maybe pre-order at inflated prices. (why not make more money after all?)
But even OCUK admitted they opened their 8700K retail boxes and sold the CPUs are pre-binned ones.

So from that guess, how good the chances are for 5Ghz. The rest are marketing and money making process......

As for overall availability, Gamers Nexus said yesterday that according to his sources, Intel is planning to shift existing stock, with 10% being only 8 series CPUs over the next months and 90% 7th series. (includes X299 platform ones).

Last edited:
OcUK Staff

Not this again.

We only pre test designated system oem cpu's. The CPUs that don't make the grade go into stock systems we produce. It's that simple.

8700K only for the stock we have sold out of did we bin retail. If you buy a retail or oem cpu on our site they will not have been pre tested.

Soldato
OP
Not this again.

We only pre test designated system oem cpu's. The CPUs that don't make the grade go into stock systems we produce. It's that simple.

8700K only for the stock we have sold out of did we bin retail. If you buy a retail or oem cpu on our site they will not have been pre tested.

OK thanks for the answer, I didn't know.
Lucky I am not buying pre-built systems I guess.

Soldato
I'm in the market for an 8700k. But honestly I'm leaning to buying one from a company that doesn't offer pre-binned CPUs for the reasons above.
Makes sense, if certain batches of CPU's do 5.2GHz+, then it would be stupid from a business sense not to take RETAIL out of stock to sell at £800 a time? The profit margin from retail stock is still going to be very high.

You only have their word to take for it that they won't when OEM chips start coming through, and to be honest, apart from my family, I wouldn't trust any person or retailer as far as I could throw them.

Associate
Always buy retail CPU's and return it if is not sealed. For the sake of an extra £20 at least you get the additional warranty over an OEM that may have failed the binning test.

Soldato
Hey 8Pack... I'm upgrading to Z370 once stock comes in. I want 8700k, Asrock Extreme4, 3600MHz 8Pack RAM and 240mm AIO with a Phanteks Enthoo Pro M windowed case. If I go for the 5GHz delid, will I need to reapply liquid metal at some point, or do you just use TIM (which won't need reapplying in the future)?

I was looking at the 4.8 GHz Overclockers Labs Extreme4 bundle, but they don't offer 8Pack RAM. They're showing in stock - are they delidded also?

Soldato
OP
Also. Yet product released that no one can get a hold of. Who thinks Intel and AMD are playing a game with us of deliberate under supply. Frankly sick of this industry at the moment!

Soldato
Also. Yet product released that no one can get a hold of. Who thinks Intel and AMD are playing a game with us of deliberate under supply. Frankly sick of this industry at the moment!

Definitely. I mean they stand to make billions of dollars on CPU sales, but decide not to so they can instead drip feed stock and anger Johnny sitting mashing F5 in his mother's basement... Makes total sense. :p

Associate
Are pre-binned or de-lidded CPU's fitted just like a retail CPU, ie, place on the MB, use thermal paste then mount the cooling system, or is there something else that is required?

Back
Top Bottom