1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about surfboards mines old

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by Leviathan, 15 Oct 2009.

1. Leviathan

Gangster

Ok basicly my service is cable and original NTL now Virgin aand just realised that
    my curent surboard is a sb4100 probably over 10 years old so wasa wondering if getting a new 1 is worth itor has technology not really advanced as i know nothing about it.

if i was to upgrade which would be a good 1 to get as at the moment i have the surfboard then that leads to a router thats shared to 4 ways.

2. Caged

Capodecina

What service are you using? I believe Virgin were upgrading modems for their 10Mb service, not sure where the list of compatible modems is. Either way you can get it swapped with a phone call, but the Surfboards are pretty damn good modems.

3. Leviathan

Gangster

Ye it is the surfboards were originally from NTL when virgin was NTL and we have had it years. i had a friend whos 1 blew after 3 years mines been going over 10 years and its always been fine i just wonder that with the connection speed going up and up will it be able to cope ?.

This is the 1 i have http://www.cablemodems.com/images/p...Fboard® Cable Modem SB4100motorola_sb4100.gif

4. Caged

Capodecina

That was the point I'm making - what service are you on? 10Mb? 20Mb?

5. mjd

Wise Guy

My parents were suffering sub 56k performance issues with their 9 year old NTL branded effort on a 10Mb conection. No amount of talking to Bob in Bangladesh was getting them anywhere. I had a look and soon concluded the modem was weak link. Rather than jump through hoops, I rang Bob and told him the modem was dead, no lights nothing. A new modem was sent out and voila problem solved. So if you fancy a new one just for the hell of it...you know what to do :)

6. Leviathan

Gangster

said above virgin and unknown im guessing 10mb as i did a test with 4mb download but not sure. they keep updatin it for free and soon its going higher so was jsut checking incase i need a better 1.

7. Daegan

Wise Guy

As Caged said you'd need to phone up VM. They'll send you a new modem if yours is faulty or not up to the job. Whether it's up to the job will depend on the service you have - 20mbit and it'll definitely need replacing, 10mbit it might do, then again it might not.

You can't just go out and buy a cable modem. Apart from the fact you'd probably struggle to find one anywhere other than eBay, VM wouldn't allow you to use it.